abu garcia reel help
Bill
Posted 2/5/2007 4:12 PM (#236562)
Subject: abu garcia reel help

I have three abu garcia reels. After about a year a of use they all started to make a winning sound when i cast them out. After a few casts they would quit making that noise. But as i use them more they (for about three years now) make that noise when i cast them everycast. It has got worse. Its loud and nasty noise. I have lubed them up with the grease that they come with and i have followed the directions that are in the manual. But they still make that noise. They arent as smooth either. How can i fix this, who can i send it to, how much will it cost to get fixed?
lambeau
Posted 2/5/2007 4:28 PM (#236578 - in reply to #236562)
Subject: RE: abu garcia reel help

the following thread has some very good information on cleaning and servicing Abu Garcia reels.
it was provided by a former Abu reel technician.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27...
esoxaddict
Posted 2/5/2007 4:29 PM (#236579 - in reply to #236562)

screaming reel:

1. remove side plate
2. remove spool assembly
3. wipe off end of spool axle (the part that goes through the center of the spool)
4. using a toothpick, carefully scrape out gunk accumulated in recessed area where spool shaft sits
5. place one drop of oil (not grease) here
6. put a little oil on the end of the spool axle for good measure
7. reassemble
8. resume casting

what you describe is something I've had with every reel I own, happens after fishing in the rain. I call it the "clean me" alarm. If you just want to stop the noise you don't need to take the whole reel apart, just a drop of oil on the end of the spool axle should quiet it down. But if there's dirt and stuff in there the noise will come back.

Edited by esoxaddict 2/5/2007 4:33 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 2/5/2007 4:55 PM (#236586 - in reply to #236562)

You can always send them back to Abu Garcia and they will take care of them and in most cases tyou will have them back in a week.

Look for the address to send them at www.abu-garcia.com