Leaders with Spinnerbaits?
Team Rhino
Posted 2/4/2007 3:25 PM (#236341)
Subject: Leaders with Spinnerbaits?

I'm going to use Spinnerbaits more this season and I'm wondering if most people use leaders or not? I've heard that if you use a leader in the weeds it makes it foul more but I'm a little worried about going Leaderless, should I be? Thanks.
BALDY
Posted 2/4/2007 4:09 PM (#236350 - in reply to #236341)
Subject: RE: Leaders with Spinnerbaits?

You are right to be worried about not using a leader.

Do not go leaderless.

There is no good reason to go leaderless with any bait if you are fishing for Pike or Muskies. It may not happen right away, but you WILL get bit off and that fish will swim off with a bait in it face.

There are plenty of guys fishing spinnerbaits with leaders in slop with good results. There is no reason to believe that getting rid of the leader is necessary.
sworrall
Posted 2/4/2007 4:53 PM (#236357 - in reply to #236350)

Baldy is right. I fish them for Muskie allot; have been since the early 80's because of my friendship with Darrel Weihert, who re-introduced me to spinnerbaits. I used them for bass in the 70's but didn't have a source for muskie size stuff. Darrel built them, and I used them. My sons picked up the craft from Darrel, and still build basically the same bait today, plus designs of their own.

Leaders don't cause any troubles at all in the slop, IMHO.
cjrich
Posted 2/4/2007 5:02 PM (#236359 - in reply to #236341)

I was a little thrown last summer when I purchased Joe Bucher's DVD about fishing the slop. He was using one of his own SlopMaster baits and illustrated that the long stem from the head of the bait to the eyelet where we would normally connect our leader would actually serve as the leader itself (implying that it could be fished leaderless).

The notion seemed novel to me, though I admit that while I fished the lure a lot last summer; I always kept my fluro leader as part of the mix.

Craig
djwilliams
Posted 2/4/2007 6:57 PM (#236366 - in reply to #236341)

I have had some guys say don't use a leader with a spinnerbait with an open eye. Just tie it on. I have a couple like that and sometimes- seldomly- they foul up in the leader. But as long as you make a good cast, you'll not have an issue. Use a leader every time.
Don
Team Rhino
Posted 2/4/2007 7:12 PM (#236367 - in reply to #236359)

The Bucher DVD was the main reason I questioned using a Leader. I know he made it a point to say you don't need one. Thanks for the replys.
kevin cochran
Posted 2/4/2007 8:57 PM (#236388 - in reply to #236341)

only use steel leaders with spinnerbaits. flouro has a tendency to flex and wrap around the arm of the spinnerbait.
AWH
Posted 2/4/2007 9:14 PM (#236390 - in reply to #236341)

You'll never catch me going without a leader when fishing for muskies no matter what the bait. You're just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Aaron
Ranger
Posted 2/4/2007 10:29 PM (#236407 - in reply to #236341)

"only use steel leaders with spinnerbaits. flouro has a tendency to flex and wrap around the arm of the spinnerbait."

I've used flouro leaders (80# Climax) with spinnerbaits for the last 5 years and never once had it foul up like the post quoted above. But maybe I've been real lucky, or he's talking about something I'm not doing.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/4/2007 10:52 PM (#236409 - in reply to #236407)

I have used both wire and flourocarbon leaders on spinnerbaits. I believe that it doesn't make a difference eith way. I will use flourcarbon anytime I believe it will help. Most times it will not matter because I will fish slop and the fish don't see the leader anyway. I like wire anytime I fish weeds. The fish don't see it anyway. Most strikes are reaction strikes.

Now if I am casting and working clear water I will use flourocarbon leaders. When cating just keep the line tight so the spinnerbait will not tumble through the air.
Rockin' SV
Posted 2/5/2007 5:12 AM (#236426 - in reply to #236367)

Team Rhino - 2/4/2007 7:12 PM

The Bucher DVD was the main reason I questioned using a Leader. I know he made it a point to say you don't need one. Thanks for the replys.

I'm pretty sure Bucher made a point of recanting that since doing the dvd.
tuffy1
Posted 2/5/2007 7:52 AM (#236439 - in reply to #236341)

I would think that in the slop would be one of the worst places not to use a leader. The fish are gonna hit the bait pretty crazy, and may be hitting on feel, so who knows where it's going to grab the bait. That would lead me to believe you're going to get bit off at some point.
Lightning
Posted 2/5/2007 8:25 AM (#236443 - in reply to #236341)

I like flourocarbon leaders for spinnerbait fishing. It definately lets the bait helicopter down beter. Sevenstrand would be my next pick. I also like a  18-20 inch leader.
Dacron + Dip
Posted 2/5/2007 8:25 AM (#236444 - in reply to #236341)

I small, heavy splitring to the eye will pick up a bit less junk that a snap or clasp, in my experience. Leaderless, the fish that bites you off in weeds and steals the spinnerbait you paid for will probably be a little pike, too. Kind of a double burn.
Pamuskyhunter
Posted 2/5/2007 10:04 AM (#236453 - in reply to #236341)

I tie titanium leaders too all my spinnerbaits,it seem to get better action then using a swivel. And they are right do not use mono on spinnerbaits,it has a mind of its own wrapping itself around them.
Partycrasher
Posted 2/6/2007 3:55 PM (#236795 - in reply to #236341)

Reagrdless if you believe a Musky could bite you off, I always use a leader with a spinnerbait. Where I am throwing them, that leader is taking the beating from logs, stumps, weeds and everything else I am crashing that thing into. I prefer wire.
Posted 2/7/2007 6:49 AM (#236885 - in reply to #236341)

If your just using a spinnerbait in the classic horizontal retrieve (like a straight-shaft) and are careful with your cast and not throwing into the wind, you can get away with a flexible leader. If however you are coptering weed pockets, jigging the deep weed line, or snap jigging deep, solid wire fouls many times less than a flexible leader will and offers more control and feel in my mind.
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/7/2007 8:30 AM (#236904 - in reply to #236341)

I too, like a split ring on the business end of my S.B leaders. I like the Bucher #5's being smaller and less of a wed collector. They just need to be changed more often as they'll get stetched out quicker than the larger ones. I also don't use any type of swivel with my spinnerbaits, and make sure the tag end of the steel on both ends is nice and short. Sometimes a bit of glue over the wrap on the spinnerbait and leader ends can help weeds 'slide' off easier.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 2/7/2007 11:41 AM (#236947 - in reply to #236341)

I could swear that Duane Landmeier once claimed during a recent presentation to our MI chapter that he doesnt use leaders "ever" on any baits. I was blown away by that. I just let it go. If thats what works for him, fine. I wouldnt consider that for my fishing nor would I recommend that to anyone that is new to the sport. If you develop your own opinion through experience, so be it. I just cant bring myself to go w/o a leader. I dont think I'd fish a tourney with a partner who goes without either. We' have to be on the same page there.
Karl

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 2/7/2007 11:42 AM
esox50
Posted 2/7/2007 12:15 PM (#236953 - in reply to #236388)

kevin cochran - 2/4/2007 8:57 PM

only use steel leaders with spinnerbaits. flouro has a tendency to flex and wrap around the arm of the spinnerbait.

It's the caster's fault if the bait gets wrapped around the leader. Tossing a muskie sized spinnerbait is the equivalent of learning how to use a double haul or other fly casting technique.

The NUMBER ONE thing to remember to do is not use a direct-over head cast. Side arm or 3/4 is best and DO NOT snap the bait forward. If you have fly fished before and know what happens when you do not let the fly fully extend on the back cast you will understand my analogy. Simply put, if you snap the spinnerbait forward without letting it fully extend the length of the leader you will get a fouled cast as the bait will wrap itself around the leader once momentum has switched forward.

If you want to maximize the vibration and wobble of a spinnerbait a solid steel leader is, IMO, not the way to go. Fluoro or 7-strand is better. However, if you are grinding rocks or simply using speed as a trigger then a solid steel leader is fine.
kevin cochran
Posted 2/7/2007 3:45 PM (#237018 - in reply to #236953)

Esox 50, "It's the caster's fault if the bait gets wrapped around the leader. Tossing a muskie sized spinnerbait is the equivalent of learning how to use a double haul or other fly casting technique."
That's funny. I manufacture spinnerbaits and have spent alot of time developing and field testing them. All spinnerbaits are not created equal and some have a tendency to foul around a flouro leader more than others. Large marabou spinnerbaits such as my Musky Bling Marabou twist more in the air than others causing them to foul around flouro leaders about 1 in 15 casts. The original Musky Bling which has flashabou does not twist in the air and foul ups are rare. I am on the water over 120 days a year and that's just what I have noticed.
esox50
Posted 2/7/2007 5:01 PM (#237035 - in reply to #237018)

All spinnerbaits are not created equal and some have a tendency to foul around a flouro leader more than others.

Not sure what was so funny about my post. Maybe the analogy? Let me clarify it for you, tossing a spinnerbait is not as simple as it seems. Period.

Your above statement is dead on: "all spinnerbaits are not created equal." I throw a fair amount of Grim Reapers which are by design typically smaller than some of the more beefed up Rad Dogs, Funky Chickens, etc. I think it's absolutely possible that the way a particular bait is designed can effect how it runs with certain terminal tackle. However, you will get the same argument from people who say fluoro is bad when throwing jerkbaits (too flexible) and that one should stick with solid steel leaders.

The take home point, I think, from this thread is try a 7-strand, try fluoro, try solid wire. One person's preference may not jive with yours. One type of bait may run better with a fluoro or solid steel, it may not.

BTW, I spend a lot of time on the water, too...

Edited by esox50 2/7/2007 5:03 PM
Posted 2/9/2007 9:27 AM (#237703 - in reply to #236341)

It's not just casting, try coptering or snap jigging a spinnerbait with a flexible leader, it's nearly impossible if your doing it correctly.