Live waterdogs
Partycrasher
Posted 2/2/2007 8:44 AM (#235762)
Subject: Live waterdogs

Back in the late 70's and early 80's we used to be able to get live waterdogs for bait. Pike, Bass and Muskies would literally attack them. But then we couldn't get them any more. Did they become illegal to use or sell? Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks!
dfree
Posted 2/2/2007 9:08 AM (#235767 - in reply to #235762)
Subject: RE: Live waterdogs

They are still available at limited bait stores, and they still do work. We took a couple out last summer and had quite a bit of fun-- couple walleyes and a nice musky. If you can find a lake where they have waterdogs, you can trap 'em yourself. They are typically available from mid june to mid august, just depends on weather. hope this helps.

Dan

Edited by dfree 2/2/2007 9:09 AM
Partycrasher
Posted 2/2/2007 1:35 PM (#235843 - in reply to #235762)

dfree, what state are you in? No body in WI seems to know if they are legal. Thank you for the post. I don't know if you obsreved this, but the fish hit them like they are angry at them. I watched a pike take one once and he was shaking it back and forth like a dog with a sock toy. This was before we even set the hook. And we have had them on slip bobbers and it's about as violent as I have ever seen bobbers react. How would you go about trapping them?
dfree
Posted 2/2/2007 6:11 PM (#235931 - in reply to #235843)

I am in MN, we used them on Mille Lacs, it was a riot. The muskie we got just thrashed it, so yes I have noticed that. The trap them using trap nets same as the minnow ones with fish entrails inside, the entry holes in the net are slightly bigger. there may be other baits to get them in the nets, but this is the only one I am aware of.

Dan