Reel Options
mn_mike
Posted 2/1/2007 7:22 AM (#235464)
Subject: Reel Options

I'm looking to get a new combo for this coming season and plan on purchasing an 8'0" (MH or H) rod but haven't decided on a reel yet. I currently own 5501C3 and 5601C4 but wouldn't mind trying something new if it is worth it. I don't have a lot of cash to spend but so far I'm considering the Shimano Corvalus, Tica Caiman (Silver), Pflueger Trion.. maybe there are some other options, Okuma? Quantum Iron?.. I would like to hear all of your likes and dislikes with these reels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
sworrall
Posted 2/1/2007 8:14 AM (#235473 - in reply to #235464)
Subject: RE: Reel Options

After watching to California Muskie's chatroom seminar, I'm going to run the new Okuma Induron reels this year. Here's the line on this reel from one of the retailers:

The Induron series of classic round bait casting reels uses the same precision engineering that is used in the production of our tournament-grade off-shore reels. Machined from bar stock aluminum, these precision-crafted reels feature seven stainless steel bearings and a stainless one-way roller bearing. Finished with the six -disc Rulidium and stainless steel drag system, you get the ultimate round reel, smooth, strong and accurate

Okuma Induron IDx features
Titanium coated line guide insert
Multi-disk Rulidium drag system
7 stainless steel ball bearings
1 Quick-Set Anti-Reverse roller bearing
Precision machine cut brass gearing
1-piece Machined Rigid Frame construction
Adjustable 6-pin Velocity Control system
LX represents left hand crank models
Inertia free Hi-Rise spool design on IDx-150

I'm thinking this will be a great reel at a good price.

Schuler
Posted 2/1/2007 1:01 PM (#235547 - in reply to #235464)

I have an induron 400 and it seems like a really nice reel. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but Okuma has awesome customer service. The trion is a good reel, I got a couple of them. Haven't seen the caimen's yet, but love ticas ultralight reels. The corvalus doesn't seem like a smooth reel to me, but I've never fished with one.
crackpot
Posted 2/1/2007 1:40 PM (#235563 - in reply to #235464)

I know 4 or 5 people that have owned Trions including myself and every single one of them has broke within a week...grinding sounds on casts, failed drags, horrible grinding sounds while reeling....do yourself a favor and get something else that will last more than 3 days.
mn_mike
Posted 2/1/2007 2:03 PM (#235572 - in reply to #235464)

I appreciate all the info and I hope it keeps coming. Most reels feel fine in the store but I want something that lasts and has good customer service and warranties. Abu has proven themselves in this department many times over but I would like to try something new and maybe a little smoother. I see I can get a Caiman CM (Gold) for $99 and the Okuma Induron for about the same. This is the first time I've heard something bad about the Trion. One feature I guess people liked about it is you can disengage the spool while there is tention on the line. My Abu's are locked up tight and can't push the button unless I let off on the line load.

Thanks again and hopefully after a few more recommendations I will be able to pick out a nice reel.

Mike
Schuler
Posted 2/1/2007 7:50 PM (#235671 - in reply to #235464)

I've got 3 or 4 years on my trion 56. I use it for cranks and bucktails and its holding up just fine. I've also got 2 pflueger presidents for bass fishing (1 year old), an ultralight pflueger (3 years old) just got a guide series 56HS for bass fishing. Pflueger makes a good reel for the money. And trust me, I'm not really easy on reels. I have broken more than enough.
sworrall
Posted 2/1/2007 9:18 PM (#235694 - in reply to #235464)

Does anyone know if the Trions have changed/been redesigned at all over the last few years?
Anonymous
Posted 2/1/2007 9:24 PM (#235696 - in reply to #235694)

moved....

Edited by dfree 2/2/2007 12:59 PM
kreegz
Posted 2/2/2007 12:46 AM (#235728 - in reply to #235464)

i had the trion too... grinding sounds after 2 weeks.... its now my gf's back up reel...
mn_mike
Posted 2/4/2007 12:36 PM (#236301 - in reply to #235464)

Well I appreciate everyones comments. I did pick up a reel this weekend but it ended up being an Abu again. Price was right.. Brand new Abu Record RCN61 for $56!! Sounds like everyone is trying something new this season so maybe after the season we can hear some reports.

Thanks again,

Mike