tuffy question
pete619
Posted 1/31/2007 1:19 PM (#235327)
Subject: tuffy question

I have been looking at new boats this year and I was wondering why tuffy doesn't offer a lifetime hull warranty. I asked a dealer at a recent boat show and he really didn't have an answer. Maybe some of the guys that run them could offer a theory. Anyone had any hull issues?
Shep
Posted 1/31/2007 2:28 PM (#235344 - in reply to #235327)
Subject: RE: tuffy question

They don't need to. Very well built hulls, that if there is a manufacturing issue, it is going to show up well before the 5 years is up. 100% transferrable, and non declining. And depending on what would actually happen to require any service, my experience is that Tuffy is totally committed to customer service. My last Tuffy was 11 years old when I wanted to sell it. I needed a bit of work done, and they kept the cost very low for me. Went above and beyond with the work performed, and the boat came out looking nearly new. I got premium dollar for that boat.

My previous boat had a "Limited Lifetime Warranty". Well, all fine and dandy, except that after 4 years, I paid 1/3 of a "Warranty" repair. If I had sold the boat prior to the repair, the new owner would have paid an even higher percentage. Lifteime Warranty is a perceived value that you are probably going to pay for up front, and will not be worth much when the boat is more than 5 yrs. old. And many warranties are not transferrable. I don't believe a second hand Ranger warranty is Lifetime. Read the fine print on any warranty. You'll learn alot.
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 2:36 PM (#235345 - in reply to #235327)

Rangers hull warranty is transferable but limited to 10 yrs from original purchase date...

sworrall
Posted 1/31/2007 2:56 PM (#235347 - in reply to #235345)

Shep said it very well.
pete619
Posted 1/31/2007 2:58 PM (#235348 - in reply to #235344)

Thanks for the info shep, I am the original owner of my current boat and I have the "limited lifetime warranty". I have never heard of any problems with any of Rangers "Fisherman" series hulls but they still give you a lifetime warranty. I have read my warranty and I am responsible for a $50.00 charge after the first year but i firmly believe they would make good on their warranty. The new Tuffy's sure look like great boats though. It sounds like they will stand behind their product as well. Thanks.
Shep
Posted 1/31/2007 4:23 PM (#235358 - in reply to #235348)

Yes, Ranger is Lifetime, and 10 years for transfers. But how many actually need warranty work after the first year or two, if any? Same with most of the qaulity glass boats these days. All composite, no wood, they just don't have many issues with the hulls.
Tuffy has a very low rate of incidence of issues. I look at my new 1890, and I am still impressed by the workmanship and quality of this boat.

Edited by Shep 1/31/2007 4:26 PM
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 4:31 PM (#235360 - in reply to #235327)

this is not a knock on Tuffy ...but you may not need the warranty after a year or 2 but nice to know it's there....

I'm sure they are great hulls but a warranty says alot to me about backing up a product...my 2 cents
jonnysled
Posted 1/31/2007 4:35 PM (#235362 - in reply to #235327)

make sure to get a warranty on that merc though Shep ...
Shep
Posted 1/31/2007 5:29 PM (#235371 - in reply to #235362)

Brad, I don't think the Ranger warranty adds $12-15K worth of peace of mind, to me anyway. But I would like to know the rate of claims on Rangers older than 5 yrs. I'll have to ask Steve lindahl one of these days.

Sled, I get the 5 yr on the best motor made. I'm not worried. Last Opti was flawless, so too will this one.

Edited by Shep 1/31/2007 5:37 PM
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 5:47 PM (#235373 - in reply to #235327)

Shep
From what I have seen the 1890's are priced right about the same price as 619's with the same motor etc......Am I missing something?
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 5:51 PM (#235375 - in reply to #235327)

This is just for example purposes..I bought a used 690 Ranger, it had been back to the factory to be "re worked" after the original owner bought it...which was in Oct 99 I believe..How do I know he didn't beat the living crap out of it and had cracked the hull before I bought it? I don't...but my warranty is good for another 3 full seasons...like I said...you may not need any longer of a warranty than 5 yrs...but just in case..it's nice to know it's there...

again, not a knock...just for discussion purposes...they all are nice boats...
but I personally think Ranger is just a touch above the rest...
Tuffy
Posted 1/31/2007 6:32 PM (#235380 - in reply to #235327)

Bn, not sure what you brag about an 8 year old boat for but why don't you take a look at a Tuffy sometime! Like Shep said, if you are going to have problems with a boat it will more than likely be within the first couple years. I guarantee you that Tuffy boats are built better or just as good as any Ranger out there, considering they probably make a quarter of the boats that Ranger produces. The time and detail going into a Tuffy is far more than time spent on your Ranger! I find it funny how so many people are buying boats to sport a cetain hat or a jacket on there back!
Tuffy Boats
Posted 1/31/2007 6:46 PM (#235381 - in reply to #235375)

A 619 Dual Console at in the Milwaukee show was about 48K. A comparably rigged 1890 DS at Mr. Marine in the Osh Kosh show the same weekend was about 10K less. Both had pro kickers, Mercury V6 motors, both had sonars and electric motors that were comparable, etc. The 2060 DW at the Osh Kosh show was about 12K less than a 620, rigged EXACTLY the same ( Both had 250 Opti XS and Pro Kickers rigged up) except the Tuffy had a Terrova instead of a cable drive Minn Kota.

The warranty on the Tuffy is the entire boat components we manufacture, not just the hull and deck. Any 'hull failure' after the standard warranty runs out is handled on a one to one basis, and it is handled fairly based on what caused the 'failure'. That has happened so infrequently it isn't even an issue, but if it should happen, Tuffy will be there in Lake Mills, Wisconsin as they have been since 1976.

bn
Posted 1/31/2007 7:06 PM (#235385 - in reply to #235327)

Tuffy, I have looked at them...and I've been in at least 5 newer Tuffys in the last year...so I did my homework before buying my yes "8 yr old Ranger".....the 690 if you've ever talked to anyone that owned one or has been in one is probably the best layout and one of THE best hulls ever made by Ranger...I'm not bragging about it in my post above..not sure how you could construe that I was bragging...

At the Milw. show last year, there was a 619, yes it was a leftover, but new, I believe it was 2k more than the 1890 there...in any case they were close...I find it funny you think people buy Rangers to sport a certain hat or jacket...I own one Ranger visor..no jackets, no shirts, etc...

like I have said, they are all nice boats...I have seen and fished out of many Tuffys, probably a lot more Rangers than you have been in....and for the money, I believe Ranger builds a better product...to each their own..that is why we live in a free country right...free speach...free to buy what we want and like....

I love guest posters.

bn
sworrall
Posted 1/31/2007 7:37 PM (#235391 - in reply to #235385)

Hey, all companies have unique methods of marketing their product. I've worked for or with Tuffy most years with a couple U turns since 1976, and can tell you they take care of their warranty issues. Sure, there are disputes, but usually NOT over warranty. Usually, it's someone wanting Tuffy to pick up and/or drop off their rig at their house or a similar deal or 'fix' scratches in the boat for free when it's in for warranty, or fix a component a dealer or aftermarket agent installed, you get the picture.. Try to get ANY company to do THAT! All boat builders have their supporters and their detractors. It's Business.

Ranger and Tuffy have been in the business for a comparable period of time. I remember very clearly standing across the aisle from Forest Wood's booth at boat shows when his boats were brand new to the midwest.

Neither would be here today if they built a bad product. Both have had warranty issues and arguments, and both have handled them very well over all. Shop value, shop brand, shop whatever drives your decision. Both builders will get their share!

As far as the 690 goes, it is an excellent multi specie rig. It didn't handle as well as it could have in the really big stuff for a number of reasons, was not a big enough boat overall to carry the horsepower popular now and needed to be redesigned to meet the needs of the Musti-specie angler, so the 619 and 620 were designed to 'replace' the 690. Tuffy's Esox Deep V and Osprey models went through a similar redesign, for similar reasons. Like I said, it's business.
muskynightmare
Posted 1/31/2007 7:40 PM (#235393 - in reply to #235327)

Sled, dont knock the "BLACK ON BACK"!
Mercs rock!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/31/2007 7:41 PM (#235394 - in reply to #235327)

I sure hope that Ranger's are built better considering that they average anywhere from $2000 to $10000 more for comparing model, such as 1760Angler to a 1760Osprey or a 619VS to a 1890Osprey or 620VS to a 2060Osprey. I can almost bet you your just paying the extra dough for the name not necessarily the product!
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 8:00 PM (#235399 - in reply to #235327)

Yes I do own an 8 yr old Ranger that is in better shape than alot of boats half as old...and it was priced right...and still has warranty...
What do you own?
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/31/2007 8:26 PM (#235406 - in reply to #235327)

Been reading this thread and it is a good one, and wonder why the ridicule of someone with an 8 year old Ranger... Does the fact that owning a boat of older than 8 years, not warrant someones opinion of a product? I have been in alot of older rigs, and run nearly 20 years old myself. Boats will last alot longer than most people here think they will, with proper maintenance and care. Now, the staus of owning an 8 year old Ranger will probably not quite alow bn to sit with the 2007 Ranger owners at the country club bridge table, but i'm guessing that if that was his desire, he'd own a newer one. I agree with him that the 690 is a boat to be reckoned with. I have been in alot of them, and I love the layout of that boat. The newer ones might be able to handle more horsepower, and handle bigger water, but they do lack the layout features that that rig had. Wish they would have made more 690 tillers, and wish I would have bought one when they were being built. They are about as tough to find as Jimmy Hoffa...

That said, the wife and I cannot wait to see the new Tuffys at the shows(hopefully there will be a few of them at the Green Bay show..). at this point, in a tiller rig, they seem to be taking the steps to make a functionally sound Musky fishing machine for everyone aboard. If the dry storage is as good as I've seen in the recent Rangers, and better than what is in my partners 2002 Esox LTD. I'll really be interested.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/31/2007 9:32 PM
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 8:30 PM (#235407 - in reply to #235327)

Well said Jason...the day my 690 popped up on walleyecentral was also the day I was one phone call away from pulling the trigger on a 06 Ranger from Frankies...I saw the Ranger, drove to Plover at noon and put my money down...a guy was coming at 5pm with the money to snag it but I beat him to it....I could own a new Ranger but found this bad boy and it was just the boat I wanted...it fits in my garage and to me has a better layout than current 619s and still does 57 on gps....win / win...I like to go fast...oh, and it left the factory at Ranger in 01 with a completely new deck....so not quite 8 yrs old....
it's not the boat that catches fish..but it can make your day on the water more enjoyable to have a nice one....
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/31/2007 9:06 PM (#235414 - in reply to #235327)

I own a Ranger and a Tuffy.

The Tuffy is a older model, which does not bother me in the least. However what is starting to bother me is I sent an e-mail to Tuffy two weeks ago this coming Friday. I was looking for some specs and info on the model I bought. I sent an e-mail because I knew it would take a little research and I didn't want to tie up anybodys time on the phone. The lack of response leads me to believe..............

A) THEIR E-MAIL ADDRESS IS NO GOOD
B) NOBODY CHECKS THEIR E-MAIL
C) IT'S A USED BOAT AND NOBODY CARES
D) IT'S SHOW SEASON AND THEY ALL ARE AT THE SHOWS

Anyway i'm sure in the next couple of years somebody will get back to me.
C.Painter
Posted 1/31/2007 9:29 PM (#235420 - in reply to #235327)

OK, so I have a unique perspective on this...

First, I own a Tuffy 1760 Deep V esox....I think it is probably about 5-6 years old now......For the life of me I can't see myself selling this boat. WHY?? Because it rocks!@!! I have had it on some big water...and the hull is one of the best out there. I LOVE what Tuffy has done with the new 1760's. Just goes to show, always working to make things better (and cheaper for the customer..Steve said right when the new models came out, that I could have gotten one for almost what I had paid for mine a few years earlier...they improved it that much AND took out that much cost!!).

Tuffy makes one of THE best muskie boats on the market, period.

NOW.....with saying that....

I have spend quite a few hours fishing in BN's ranger....and I will tell you what...that boat looks BRAND NEW!!! It may be 8 years old...but the boy got a great boat for a great price. Ranger makes an awesome boat, period. Are they better than Tuffy, I would say there are some areas where Ranger might excel (more of the flashy things), but I do think Tuffy excels on the hulls.

They both make great boats...not worth a pissing match.

Look at both boats....see which one fits YOUR needs....look at the price....if your happy with what you get for your money...buy it.

I spout off to anyone that will listen to me how much I love my tuffy and how great of boats they are....but you won't hear me knocking Rangers...because they are good boats too....I just like what Tuffy gives me for the price. To each their own.

Cory

sworrall
Posted 1/31/2007 9:34 PM (#235423 - in reply to #235414)

None of the above, Mr. Hoffies, and if you can be civil, I'd be happy to answer your questions right here. If you sent an email to Tuffy, you sent it to me. I answered one a few days back about an older Tuffy, what is your email address?

Never mind(check your spam filter, maybe), I found it, here was the record:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rating on that boat is 60 HP, and the boat weighed in at about 900 pounds. The 180 XT was rated for 4 people, I believe, and 1200# motor, people, and gear, from memory. Please call Laurie at Tuffy to have someone check to see if we have a plate there, that was WAY before Fiberdome bought the company. Foam is under the floor in the rear under and in the side tanks, in the bow, and in between the stringers. Any wires there are down the center of the boat, if I remember correctly.

Fell fee to call me at 800.359.4416 with questions.

Steve Worrall
OutdoorsFIRST/Tuffy Boats

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 7:48 AM
Subject: coast guard plate

Morning,

I recently purchased a Tuffy 180T boat and motor. I can't find any coast guard rating plate on the boat. The serial number on the back of the boat is "Tuffy 1400191". Can you give me any info.

Specifically I'm looking for max horsepower rating and also weight ratings.
If there are any spec sheets still available that would be great!
I'm also looking to find out if any floatation foam was used back then, if so is it only under the floor. Also fuel tank capacity. I'm looking to remount seat pedestals is there any wiring that runs beneath the floor or does it run down the sides.

Any and all help and information will be great!

Brian Hoffies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope the old girl serves you well, that was a great hull. Also, I see I didn't answer the fuel question. If the boat has a built in tank, it's a custom. No idea what the capacity will be, but in all probability, it will be 20 gallons. I was with Skeeter for a couple years back then, and no one on the factory floor in boat finishing was working there in 1991, far as I know.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/31/2007 9:35 PM (#235424 - in reply to #235327)

Bn, I know your having fun, because I am too! But seeing you were so interested in knowing I will tell ya, I run a 01' Alumacraft, so in other words Tuffy or Ranger is not tattood to this butt! But does it really matter what I own or what I drive? What I laugh at is everytime a boat thread comes up, your so quick to jump at is the fact you own a Ranger and it's the best thing on the water. All I am asking is you say Ranger is a touch better, well what in your opinion makes them better? I haven't heard or seen anything that makes me think there a touch better? But anyhow, maybe I just need to stop talking because I'm sure you probably think I'm some stupid, knowledgeless college kid that knows nothing about boats.
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 9:36 PM (#235425 - in reply to #235327)

basically...
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/31/2007 9:39 PM (#235426 - in reply to #235327)

Figures! If only you knew me and the knowledge that I have of boats! I'm in NO means saying I know everything about boats but I'm not the average 20year old when it comes to boats and some of the knowledge I have accumulated about the industry!
bn
Posted 1/31/2007 9:42 PM (#235427 - in reply to #235327)

Yah Yah I know...they are both nice...
buy whatever fits your needs/budget/garage/fishing style....

And if it says Ranger even better! kidding...I catch just as many fish in the 1985 Bass Tracker I run too...

I still think you should get Tuffy tattoo'd on your butt...

TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/31/2007 9:44 PM (#235428 - in reply to #235327)

hahaha, you put Ranger on your's and I'll consider! Otherwise there will be no ink on me!
sworrall
Posted 1/31/2007 10:06 PM (#235432 - in reply to #235428)

bn,

I can vouch for the fact TJ has seen about every brand boat out on the market working for weeks under the toughest conditions imaginable. No need to expand on that, just thought I'd let you know he's not talking out of his targeted tattoo area.
jonnysled
Posted 2/1/2007 2:07 AM (#235452 - in reply to #235327)

big water, big crazy stuff .... full-sized 20' boat completely out of the water smashing down .... i wanna get home and live through it. so far i've lived that type of experience in a Ranger and a Champion ... now, never had the experience in a Tuffy so can't even comment, but my last 3 boats were Ranger, Boston Whaler and Champion in that order going back to 1991 ... somebody give me a reason to shop for anything else. oh, and the final re-sale price for my boats were pretty impressive considering the beating i gave them. the only thing that's failed me in 15 years has been two optis and a mg pd. so, TJ .... if you blast Ranger and call it a club or something you must not have spent much time in one .... and especially not when it's really ugly out there.

sell me ...
Lockjaw
Posted 2/1/2007 7:23 AM (#235466 - in reply to #235452)

One thing that I can say from experience is that a Rangers dry storage actually stays dry and I have a hard time finding many people who can say the same for Tuffy boats. I spent about 25 years fishing almost entirely in the Hayward area where there are (or were) probably more Tuffys in one single area that size than anywhere else and this was something most Tuffy owners complained about. Tuffy makes a great boat and they are great to fish out of but the dry storage problem with them got real old after a while. Another thing about Rangers is the re-sale value seems to hold up better than on Tuffy boats. I see a lot of Tuffys for sale on this site alone that don't move until the price drops quite a bit. If I can sell a Ranger boat relatively fast for a price at or near what I want out of it only because it has the name Ranger on it, that is a good thing and makes me glad it was not something else.

Edited by Lockjaw 2/1/2007 7:28 AM
Shep
Posted 2/1/2007 8:17 AM (#235474 - in reply to #235466)

Brad the 690 is a pretty good boat, maybe one of the best Ranger built. And while the two years warranty you have left may give you peace of mind, it is unlikely you will need it. That's all I'm saying. I ran out of warranty on my 97 F150 after two years, and never gave it a second thought. Why is it that a hull warranty is criticised for "Only" 5 years, yet a vehicle that costs thousands more, and driven daily year round, is OK when the warranty expires after less than 3 years? Why would you ever buy a new, or used, vehicle with less than a lifetime, or 10 year transferable warranty? Because you'd never find one, because no manufacturer would ever be stupid enough to offer one. The rate of incidence is so low on boat hulls, that a manufacturer can offer a long warranty, without a lot of risk. But what is the point?

As for the Tuffy dry storage? Yup, maybe in boats that were built more than 4 years ago. But with the redesign of the decks, Tuffy's now have dry storage. Oh, and I'd bet my new digital camera that Rangers are not always dry. Why do you think I had to get a new digital camera last summer?
bn
Posted 2/1/2007 8:29 AM (#235478 - in reply to #235327)

Shep, Again, I wasn't criticizing Tuffy for only having a 5 yr warranty..I'm not sure how you think I was..don't twist my words..I did say that I might not need mine, (warranty) but it's nice to know it's there...I guess the question to me is...if Tuffy Can offer it, cuz it's such a great hull, which I'm sure it is, Why don't they? Why not make it a lifetime warranty if it is going to hold up anyway...

They may be a bit more, but not 12-15k....and from what I have seen the last 3 yrs following boats for sale on this site and many others, Tuffys resale is not close to what a Rangers is...so that has to be taken into account when buying...at least I would think it would....how long have some of the boats in the classifieds that are Tuffys been in there?

again, all nice boats, buy whatever you want and fits your needs...my old Ranger does it for me...
bn
Posted 2/1/2007 8:30 AM (#235479 - in reply to #235327)

No way Lambeau King Kong would squash him like a bug!
lambeau
Posted 2/1/2007 8:39 AM (#235481 - in reply to #235327)

i think Godzilla would beat King Kong in a fight because of his fire breath.
but that's just me.
(oops...i deleted my earlier post when i meant to edit it)

my point is simply that you don't have to hate one type to be happy with a different brand.
sometimes both can be good.
i've been in plenty of Rangers of different styles and i really liked them.
i've been in every current Tuffy except the 2060 and i really liked them.
i prefer the Tuffy layout and value, but that doesn't mean i hate Ranger.

i don't feel the need to thump my chest about how much i know or how much others don't know either. that's counterproductive if you ask me, and it's more likely to piss people off and turn people away from the brand i'm representing as a member of their staff. putting a competitor brand down is NOT the way to promote the brand you're a fan of, nor is belittling someone's views on their favorite brand a way to convince them to take a look at your favorite brand.

my experience and opinion is that Tuffy offers boats with muskie-fishermen in mind. they're extremely fishable, dry and safe. and they even go fast.
lots of other great boats out there too, but if you take a good look at a Tuffy you'll probably like it and anyone i've talked to who owns one has been pleased with the performance.
minocquaguide
Posted 2/1/2007 9:02 AM (#235484 - in reply to #235466)

In my mind the resale on Rangers is horrible, when you look at purchase price vs sell price. Look at the prices people are paying for those boats and look at what they are selling for a year later it is simply ridiculous. I saw a 619 a couple of weeks ago with a 50,000 price tag on it....no thanks!

I believe the Tuffys hold up better in resale I have sold 2 of them over the past 7 years and always sell them for what I want to, and sell them fast. Also in regards to the dry storage on the Tuffy, you must be referring to the Esox Magnum. Yeah in the older models the storage got wet mainly due to water being able to get in from underneath, but we dealt with it, because there simply is not another boat made that will do what that boat does. I know plenty of Rangers that have the same problem The bottom of the compartments, like the Ranger compartments, were the actual hull of the boat with carpeting layed on it, and once the carpeting gets wet you are done. Go to a walleye tournament sometime and look in the parking lot after a rough day on the water and you will see plenty of Rangers with their lids popped open trying to dry out their storage compartment carpeting.

Post 2005 all storage in every Tuffy is enclosed, sealed fiberglass bins and they can't get wet, which is really nice.

There are lots of good boat out there, get the actual scoop before you try to throw a brand under the bus.
Shep
Posted 2/1/2007 9:23 AM (#235490 - in reply to #235481)

Brad, not trying to put words in your mouth. Tuffy's warranty is what it is. Ranger's is what it is.

$12-15K was for a 2060 vs a 620, comparably equipped. $43,800 for the 2060, vs $57K+ for the Ranger. These were boats seen at recent boat shows.

A new 619 is mid to upper 40's. A 1890 is upper 30's, comapably equipped.

As for resale, yes, Ranger has good reasale. I would not say Tuffy's have bad resale. You'll see a disproportionate number of Tuffy's advertised here, than Rangers, so maybe that skews the perspective a bit.

I'm not bashing Ranger. They build a great boat. But I'm looking for value, and I found it again in Tuffy.
bn
Posted 2/1/2007 9:25 AM (#235492 - in reply to #235327)

That may be true on an 07 619, but I know of several leftover 06's that are new in the high 30's....just gotta do your shopping to find the deals...I agree, both are nice...we can leave it at that!

Sort of a Ford vs Chevy type thing....
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/1/2007 9:29 AM (#235494 - in reply to #235327)

Well of course your going to be able to find a 619 in the $30's, there trying to unload the things! Same goes for every other 06 that dealer might be sitting on. That's what happens this time of year!
pete619
Posted 2/1/2007 9:36 AM (#235498 - in reply to #235474)

This thread has kind of taken a turn for the worse. I didn't want to start a debate. The reason I asked was because of the prices I saw at the Milwaukee boat show. When I bought My 619dvs in 2005, brand new, I paid around $35,000 for the boat, trailer, motor( 200 0pti), minn=kota maxxum 74, lowrance 125, on the bow. No kicker, no console locator. After I added that stuff I was up around 39000. This was in september of '05. Last week,at the milwaukee boat show, I priced the new 619 with a single console, the same motor, and trailer. The price was $40,000. They had a 619 there rigged like mine,(except for the 225 pro xs) for almost $50,000. I compared this to the Tuffy 1890 with a 200 0pti. and was quoted a price of $36,500. They didn't have an 1890 at the show but have seen some on this site and they really look awesome. I just can't believe how Ranger has increased their prices. Who can afford that? The only reason I could afford my boat was because I inherited a car from my dad! I didn't even bother to look at the show price on the 621, it must have been $60,000!! I Didn't want to imply that Tuffy was somehow inferior or anything, I just thought it was strange that they didn't have a lifetime hull warranty. If I had it to do over again right now, I wouldn't even consider the Ranger. If any of you guys with an 1890 ever make it to Pewaukee Lake I would really love to have a ride!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/1/2007 9:38 AM (#235499 - in reply to #235327)

At the Milwaukee boat show last weekend, there was a 621 that topped $60000. In my opinion that's freakin ridiculous!
lambeau
Posted 2/1/2007 9:47 AM (#235502 - in reply to #235499)

At the Milwaukee boat show last weekend, there was a 621 that topped $60000. In my opinion that's freakin ridiculous!

it's expensive, but not necessarily ridiculous, imho.
Ranger is a successful business and they're well aware of their market. they have to be.
if they weren't able to sell boats at that price, they wouldn't be listed at that price.
free market prices are set by supply and demand, and apparently the demand is strong.

now, if you're talking value rather than price...that's the realm of subjective opinion and i agree with you wholeheartedly! i believe this is one of Tuffy's real strengths - you get more for your money compared to other boats of equal performance and rigging.

that, and Godzilla's fire breath would send King Kong running for the banana trees every time.
muskihntr
Posted 2/1/2007 11:46 AM (#235532 - in reply to #235327)

you guys are funny with your boat egos!!! brad i usally agree with you but i gotta side with mike on this one......no way could kong take godzilla out..no way!!

i got a sears robuck & co. inflatable raft with a 2 hp eska it gets the job done and blows away any ranger or tuffy
Shep
Posted 2/1/2007 12:08 PM (#235537 - in reply to #235532)

Pete,

I'll be on Pewaukee for the Southern Opener, and you're welcome to join me for any part of the day. If you want to get out sooner, we could meet in the middle somewhere.

As for the price increase, it appears the 619's went up with this year's redesign, about as much as the 06 620's went up. When I priced an 06 620 last year, it went up over $6000 from the 05 I priced. That was boat and trailer increase.
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/1/2007 1:07 PM (#235549 - in reply to #235327)

Tj and bn, check Docs tattoo studio in Medford WI. He does great work. Please, no pictures here though, just the story line.....
bn
Posted 2/1/2007 1:10 PM (#235552 - in reply to #235327)

No way Bette, I'm runnin a 1989 12' Grumman Scanoe with a 1976 Minn Kota 22 lb thruster for 07..your S&R is goin dowwwwwn!
Shep
Posted 2/1/2007 1:16 PM (#235555 - in reply to #235552)

I have a Merc Minnow(1984?), with a Green 3HP Clinton(Mid-1900's!) I used for a duck skiff. Made from Ram-X material, it was the same a the Coleman Crawdad. It's been out in North Dakota since 1990, when I quit duck hunting in WI. That Clinton was something. Only had forward gear, always! If you needed to back up, you turned the motor 180 degrees. Runs like a champ. Last time I saw it was fall of 01, though. I need to get back out there one of these years.
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/1/2007 1:32 PM (#235559 - in reply to #235327)

Don't knock the Gruman dude!! It is one effective Musky machine year in, year out for us!! The dry storage sucks though.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(gruman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gruman.jpg (76KB - 385 downloads)
TJ DeVoe
Posted 2/1/2007 1:33 PM (#235560 - in reply to #235327)

Reef Hawg, between my college budget and my fishing addiction, I don't see any tattoos in the near future!

Lambeau, I totally understand that if Ranger's market can sell those boats for those prices in my opinion great. I find it funny though that many people have bought there first house or even houses for less than what a new Ranger costs. But in my opinion, you are paying that extra money for a name. I think we all know that. But yes I did mean value. I think for the money and for a comparable boat that the Tuffy is just as good or better in some areas, seeing they have been around for a very comparable time. Ranger has just a touch more history in the boating world than Tuffy. Seeing that Ranger touches everything from the bass world to inland saltwater, they are much more diverse!
ulbian
Posted 2/1/2007 1:50 PM (#235568 - in reply to #235327)

If someone can get 60k for a new 621 more power to them. Don't knock the dealer for it, knock the people who are willing to pay those prices. If I take a dump and put my steaming pile of poo up for sale I'm going to sell it to the guy who gives me 10 bucks before I'll sell it to the guy who wants to give me 5 bucks for it. The guy with the 5 dollar bill is going to wonder what made my poo worth 10 bucks so he might want to save up another 5 and offer me 10 the next day....

Interesting though...when did the higher metal prices kick in and have an effect on boat prices? Kind of a moot point talking about glass boats but there's metal in those trailers.
jonnysled
Posted 2/1/2007 2:08 PM (#235573 - in reply to #235327)

Upright Floatation

ok, TJ ... i was on Sardis Lake about 15 years ago with a Champion Dealer in a fully rigged 18' bassboat trimmed out and the guy told me to crank the wheel as hard as i could .... no skip at all .... so i skipped to the dealer and bought a Champion and could afford it so i bought what impressed me over the others i had ridden in, including ranger.

1998 i was in florida and saw them cut a boat in half with a chainsaw and drive both halfs in to shore .... i had 4 kids and after seeing that and moving north i sold the Champion and bought the Whaler and again could afford it.

2000 i saw similar results of hull design and upright flotation from Ranger and needed a longer boat .... still 4 kids on my mind so sold the Whaler and bought a Ranger.

i was in a car accident really bad one and again had 4 kids and bought an S-Class Mercedes after understanding their engineering of crumple zones for high impact safety results .... the car cost a lot of money and i could sell it anytime probably for the remaining value, but here it is 1989 and it still looks and runs new.

just like boats, cars, trucks ... you get what you pay for with some brands and there are people who buy for many reasons and don't consider price a problem if its delivering them value ... and value doesn't mean a cheap price. if you can show me a boat that you can cut in half or fill with water and i can have that confidence .... as a parent with 4 kids in the thing as much as mine are, i'm buying that boat. if they give me a jacket i might wear it too.

i think the truck discussion would be a fun one too!

Edited by jonnysled 2/1/2007 2:09 PM
sputterbug
Posted 2/1/2007 2:23 PM (#235577 - in reply to #235327)

Hey,

I think I bought your steaming pile o poo on eBay... for $15. Somebody else tried to outbid me.

Ranger, Tuffy, both good, but value after the sale is wiped out by the maxim that applies to any brand: BOAT = break out another thousand.
ulbian
Posted 2/1/2007 3:22 PM (#235600 - in reply to #235327)

You got a good deal. If you dig through it you'll find a high concentration of gold flakes from a recent goldschlager bender.
Shep
Posted 2/1/2007 3:38 PM (#235605 - in reply to #235568)

The resins used in glass boats kicked in about the same time as aluminum. They all had dramatic increases the last couple years.
sputterbug
Posted 2/1/2007 4:36 PM (#235625 - in reply to #235600)

ulbian - 2/1/2007 4:22 PM

You got a good deal. If you dig through it you'll find a high concentration of gold flakes from a recent goldschlager bender.

OMG, you were right!

And yet, you just ain't right.

Slamr
Posted 2/1/2007 4:48 PM (#235627 - in reply to #235327)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(000068.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 000068.jpg (14KB - 137 downloads)
jonnysled
Posted 2/1/2007 4:54 PM (#235629 - in reply to #235327)

i'm in Zibo China near Jinan and saw Godzilla last night pillaging the area ... he's one tough dude! oooohhhhh!!!! GoooZilllaaaaaaa ... all i can hear on the streets!
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/1/2007 4:55 PM (#235630 - in reply to #235327)

You had a goldschlager bender without me???

Slamr, what is that contributing to this topic?
Slamr
Posted 2/1/2007 5:24 PM (#235641 - in reply to #235327)

Pointer,
In the end, Ranger vs. Tuffy vs. Champion vs. whatever....or Okuma vs. Daiwa vs. Abu vs. Tica vs. whatever.....Professional Edge vs. St. Croix vs. Lamiglas vs. Loomis vs. whatever....

It's all King Kong vs. Godzilla. Figure out what is in your price range, find out the positives vs. negatives, and make your choice.

No one product is perfect for everyone. It's what you think, what fits you best, what you believe in. Some people think Kong would kick Godzilla's butt, some think the other way around. . I personally think Godzilla would womp on Kong, but thats just me.
sworrall
Posted 2/1/2007 5:31 PM (#235644 - in reply to #235605)

Many of the ads for Tuffy Boats onsite here are boats that have sold, we need to update those. I'll tell you why there are lots of Tuffys and lots of Rangers for sale here; lots of folks buy both brands. Plus, there are a number of Tuff Team folks onsite who advertise their boats for sale after a year or so, with the intent of buying a new Tuffy; and a number of Ranger Team folks doing the same. Another point, this is a Muskie website, and Tuffy builds Muskie boats. Might be a bit of an influence there, don't you think?

The storage issue in the E Mag was a pain for years in the rear storage hatch especially. That was redesigned and now it's sealed, and won't let water in unless the latch seal gasket fails, which CAN happen. Interestingly, Ranger doesn't promise dry storage, and in fact in the 2007 warranty won't cover leaking hatches or other designed openings, and for good reason; water is GOING to occasionally get into the best designed storage lockers. Crestliner, Lund, and a host of other brands didn't even try to go there, most of the storage is just plain wet sometimes.

A bit more of a warranty explanation; the hull, stringers, and transom are 10 years on the Ranger, lifetime for original owner and this is only transferable ONE time, according to the 2007 published warranty. Now Ranger knows, just like Crestliner and Lund, the average guy owns his new boat for between 3 and 5 years. So the second owner has a few years warranty ONLY on the hull, transom, and stringers, and those only if there has been a failure deemed to be Ranger's problem, so to speak. If the boat didn't have any problems after 3 years, it is extremely unlikely it ever will.

Gelcoat finishes including blistering, cracking, crazing, fading, chalking or discoloration are not covered, nor is crazing; carpet and upholstery wear, fraying or tearing or any other problem covered under the three year warranty unless it's deemed to be a workmanship or material defect by Ranger. Many of the components in a Ranger warranted for three years Tuffy covers for five, like the seats, carpet, and main electrical. If they didn't fail after 3, they probably won't by 5. Ranger offers a transferable warranty with a $100 fee; one transfer only, Tuffy doesn't care if the boat has had 4 owners, if it's within the 5 year warranty schedule, it's covered. Most Tuffy owners keep their boat for more than the 5 years, anyway. If a Ranger has a two year birthday at a dealer, then the warranty the customer gets when buying that non current is running from the date of manufacture, so 1 year on some things or zero if the boat is 3 years old, nothing to transfer but the hull, stringer, and deck warranty. A non current Tuffy will be covered for 5 years from the date of sale, regardless of the model year or date of build. Subtle differences, and really not that big of a deal, but I'd guess the dealers are keenly aware of the warranty issue, and drop the price of a Ranger approaching that 24 month in stock barrier to sell it while the full warranty applies for the customer. That might explain the great prices one sees on two or three year old new Rangers now and again. No idea, but it makes sense to me. By the way, if you are after a new Ranger, our good friend Chuck Nelson went to work at Heckels in Eagle River, I bet he'd love to have a shot at the sale.

My experience with a stringer or hull failure on an older Tuffy has been they take care of the customer UNLESS there was abuse or serious neglect, and even then will offer a deal most customers are delighted with to fix the problem. I bet Ranger does the same, on a one to one basis. The warranty is only as strong as the company, and both exceed the warranty sometimes to keep a customer happy and talking up the brand.

As far as owning an older Ranger or Tuffy, some folks 'old' boats are other folk's 'new' boats. Thank goodness for that, or there would be a ton of guys fishing from shore. Every one of you who own an older boat ARE an eventual prospect for a new boat, be it a G3, Tuffy, Ranger, Polar Kraft, Skeeter, or whatever. All will do the best they can to win you over.

Face it, both are great boats. One is a national builder, the other regional. Neither worries all that much about the other, we get along out there just fine. Both will get their share if they innovate and build cool new products.

Pointerpride102
Posted 2/1/2007 6:26 PM (#235659 - in reply to #235327)

Slamr,

That is great! Brilliant reasoning that I wish I would have picked up on my own!

For me it is more Tuffy vs. Ranger vs. G3 vs. Alumacraft vs. all other boat companies vs. Guide Series Waders.

The waders won.
uptown
Posted 2/2/2007 9:30 PM (#235981 - in reply to #235327)

I tell you what. I just bought a new (2007) 1760, and I still think that King Kong would win! He has opposeable(sp?) thumbs people! Even if he lost, he had better taste in women. Godzilla just ate them.
my 2 cents
Joe
hftb
Posted 2/4/2007 5:02 AM (#236229 - in reply to #235327)

Just an interesting fact to throw in about the Godzilla/King Kong debate. As far as I know only Godzilla has had a song named after him (Blue Oyster Cult). Until that happens with King Kong, I'll take Godzilla. Ha!
ulbian
Posted 2/4/2007 10:35 AM (#236266 - in reply to #236229)

What about "King Kong Song" by ABBA? It was released 3 years prior to BOC's "Godzilla..."

Edited by ulbian 2/4/2007 10:37 AM
Shep
Posted 2/4/2007 4:09 PM (#236351 - in reply to #236266)

I watched the new King Kong last night with Eric. He was one tough hombre!