What constitues a 'long shaft' on a kicker
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/27/2007 11:18 PM (#234636)
Subject: What constitues a 'long shaft' on a kicker

Hey---

I'm taking a trip to MN this summer and need a kciker on my 619 to troll up some piggies...right now I can't afford to lay out big cash for my choice in set up...looking to score something used....I hear I should put a long shaft kicker on...how many inches constitues a long shaft? ....for say a merc 9.9...

Also---I'm running a 200 evie...what do I need for a set up to run the kicker off the main fuel tank...I really don't want to have to put a big ol' tank on the floor...I know I'd have to figure a way to get the oil mix to the engine as well....is there a way to draw from the main tank and have the oil mixed before it gets to the kicker?...

Any help would be apprecieated.

Thanks,
Tim Kelly
Posted 1/27/2007 11:31 PM (#234639 - in reply to #234636)
Subject: RE: What constitues a 'long shaft' on a kicker

Long shaft 20", ex long 25", and short shaft 15". Standard lengths for all manufacturers. You will need the same shaft length as your big motor if you're mounting the kicker on the transom next to it.
hodaghawg
Posted 1/28/2007 7:51 AM (#234652 - in reply to #234636)

Take the measurement from where the engine sits on the transom to the cavitation fins above the prop
Shep
Posted 1/29/2007 7:48 AM (#234788 - in reply to #234652)

Pretty sure you'll want a Long Shaft for a kicker on that Ranger. And you'll also need a Panther Lift made for the Ranger as well. Because the boat will not be on plane when operating the kicker, you don't need the XL Shaft. No way to bolt the kicker on the transom with out the Panther. No way to mix oil other than in a separate tank, but that is for a two stroke. Get a 4 stroke kicker, and you don't have to worry. Get a tee, or a water separator, and run both gas lines from that. You'll need bulbs on each line.

Edited by Shep 1/29/2007 7:51 AM
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2007 9:35 AM (#234811 - in reply to #234788)

Shep is absolutely correct.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/29/2007 10:31 PM (#234943 - in reply to #234636)

Thanks for all your thoughts, guys....I'm trying to save like mad...four stroke sounds like the way to go...

Have a great one!
Mark H.
Posted 1/30/2007 1:31 PM (#235071 - in reply to #234636)

Agree with what's been stated previously. One consideration for you if you are on a tight budget.

Panther and another manufacturer from Texas (sorry the name escapes me) makes a "fixed" mount for kickers for Rangers and other boats. The only thing is, you will have to manually tilt your kicker as opposed to having power tilt/trim. Not a big deal, I know a guy with an older larger Tuffy that does it quite frequently with the 9.9 on his.

I suggest you call MW Marine in Hales Corners, WI. They have both of the fixed mounts I refer to. I saw them there last spring on several boats and saw the units in their parts dept. The mounting unit runs about $125 or so. Power Panther units are $600+ That get's you another $500 closer to buying a used kicker. Ask for Doug in parts at MW.

As far as kickers go. A used Yamaha T-8, Merc. 9.9 or 15, or other brand should do you well for under $2k. Stick with a four-stroke.... no mixing oil/gas, much smoother idle/run/troll, and non of that nasty smoke blowing in your face.

Call as many dealers as you can find numbers to in WI and MN.

One dealer you might want to call is Frankies Marine in Chisago, Mn. Ask for Mike Messikohmer in sales. They might have a decent selection of used kickers.

Google up Frankies Marine and M&W Marine and you'll find the contact info you need.

Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/31/2007 11:40 PM (#235439 - in reply to #234636)

Mark---
Thanks....I'm waiting to hear back on a t-8!

Great referal!