Trolling Bad for motor?
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/16/2007 10:30 PM (#232709)
Subject: Trolling Bad for motor?

I run a 200 evie and did some trolling last year as I do not have a kicker. Ran it at idle speed. I ran into trouble with fouled plugs later in the season...is that caused by idle speed trolling?
Top H2O
Posted 1/16/2007 11:13 PM (#232719 - in reply to #232709)
Subject: RE: Trolling Bad for motor?

I'd say that trolling WILL foul your plugs...... I run a 200 VMax and have had the same problem untill I went back to buying the expensive Yahama Lube.

Use the manf. rec. oil and change your plugs at lest 2 times a yr.

Also when I've been trolling for more than a hr. I open the motor up and "Blow out the carbon" before leaving the water, this helps.

Jerome
VMS
Posted 1/17/2007 12:39 PM (#232793 - in reply to #232709)

Trolling will not hurt the motor, but fouling can be an issue with standard oil. The newer synthetics really shine in this area since they burn cleaner. I have been using Amsoil HP injector oil for a few years now and do a fair amount of open water trolling and have yet to foul a plug.

Opening up the motor after some time is definitely a good practice. It will burn off the excess carbon and extend the life of your plugs. I would not think you would need to change plugs twice in the year, but that is dependent on the amount of trolling you do as compared to higher speed travel. I change my plugs after I have pulled the motor out of storage and opened it up a bit to burn out the fogging oil. Then with a new tank of gas, the new plugs go in, and I am ready for the season.

Amsoil will run about the same price as the manufacturer's brand in most cases...maybe a couple dollars more. It is TCW-3 compliant, so your warranty should be safe as well. you may also find better overall peformance of the motor...it may run smoother and respond better too.

Steve
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/17/2007 1:19 PM (#232799 - in reply to #232793)

I agree with Steve.

I also run Amsoil oils in everything I own. Great stuff!!! The last two years have been on the same plugs. I will change them after I run my motor for a few hours this Spring. Once it burns out all the crap from storage I will change the plugs and run it for another two years. Great oil and proper maintance will keep you motor running smoother and longer. I have a 9.9 merc kicker that I put a pile of hours on each year. The 225 OPTI gets used to get out and idle back aftr dark. The idle part is what kills my plugs, good thing I can power load my rig to burn out some of that build up. This is only during the trolling season(July and August).

I would get a kicker motor if you choose to troll for hours at a time. Otherwise, just burn out that build up once you feel it or hear it in the motor. Hot laps are aways fun!!!