Which Fig Rig Rod for Top Water, Jerk Bait, Cranking?
MoMuskieguy
Posted 1/15/2007 11:14 AM (#232266)
Subject: Which Fig Rig Rod for Top Water, Jerk Bait, Cranking?

Any Fig Rig guys out there?

Which rod do you use for-

Top Water

Jerk Baits

Crank Baits

etc
danny
Posted 1/15/2007 9:53 PM (#232409 - in reply to #232266)
Subject: RE: Which Fig Rig Rod for Top Water, Jerk Bait, Cranking?

I use 8' Fig rigs the darn things work for just about everything you can throw. I honestly don't know the difference between all those rods(actually I do) but with the rods I use they will handle jerks, cranks, BT(big), SB and TW. Honestly I believe them to be one of the best rods on the market.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/16/2007 6:20 PM (#232592 - in reply to #232266)

Good question.

I really like my 8' med hvy for most topwater(tailbaits, creepers, globes) but I prefer the 7'6" hvy for walk the dog stuff. that said, I stand 6'2" so if you are shorter, the 7'3" or 7' md hvy might suffice better.

For jerks, my go to is the 7'6" heavy again. this is an awesome Reef Hawg, Jerko, Bobbie poppin stick. For longer downward sweeping stuff I use the same rod or 7'3"er.

For cranks twitchin cranks like DDD's, Trophy Divers, large Big Games, etc. I like the 8' md hvy, and wished there was a longer one available(wish I had a longer one for straight crankin type topwater too). I like my 8' hvy for rippin the 10" Jakes and grannies though. While it still loads up on the cast, I can rip it through crap a bit better, and quicker response is needed with the less-weedless type bigger cranks, to snap em' out.

I like the same 8' med hvy for spinnerbaits, and sometimes the 8'hvy if I'm chunkin a 4+oz G.P. Thumper or something on that line. My wife likes her 7'3"er for spinners and topwaters, as it is a lighter rod for her, but still beffy enough(though a bit marginal for heavier spinners).

That said, I love the 8' extra heavy glass sticks too for big dawgs, and sometimes big jakes when it is windy and I need to load her up good to keep it from tangling. I like the big glass stick for working cranks in areas without weeds too, and when I need a different type of lure response on the twitch(slower). The 8' XH is not as heavy as one would think, for a glass rod, which makes it a viable option for castng. They were a go to for me in Canada this past summer, as I could cast with em, then drop a bait back and troll, without switching rods and worrying about stressing them out.
ulbian
Posted 1/16/2007 7:15 PM (#232655 - in reply to #232266)

Good stuff Reef Hawg....you covered a ton of stuff there.

I've only got the 8ft xh glass rod and used that thing about 90% of the time this year. I mainly threw DDD's and the way I work them this rod was perfect for me. He's right, it's not nearly as heavy as you might think. I'd also toss larger surface baits with them (big pacemakers, creepensteins), 2-3 oz spinnerbaits, mag dawgs and pounders, etc. Eventhough it was an xh glass rod I was amazed at how small of stuff you could get away with using it for.
MoMuskieguy
Posted 1/17/2007 9:31 AM (#232748 - in reply to #232266)

Thanks Reef Hawg... that helps a ton!

That was exactly the feedback I was seeking.