Outboard motor cylinder question? HELP! ! ! ! ! !
RB
Posted 1/14/2007 8:53 PM (#232175)
Subject: Outboard motor cylinder question? HELP! ! ! ! ! !

I own a 1993 model MARINER 115. I have owned the motor for three years and it has performed perfectly. Today I hooked up the motor to the water hose to run some stabilized gas through the system and while it ran great as usual, I noticed something that has me worried. I noticed a constant small drip/stream of water coming out around the spark plug in the top cylinder. I immediately shut it off and the water quit. Started it back up to see if I was just seeing things and it started dripping out around the plug again. I checked the plug and it was tight and I removed the plug to check if there was water in the cylinder and on the plug and it seemed to be just carbon and the regular touch of oil. I am STUMPED as to what could be wrong. PLEASE HELP if anyone knows what could be causing this. Thanks in advance.
RB
VMS
Posted 1/14/2007 10:36 PM (#232190 - in reply to #232175)
Subject: RE: Outboard motor cylinder question? HELP! ! ! ! ! !

I would bet that you have a bad thermostat gasket.

But...to be safe, if you have access to a compression tester, see if there is an issue with that particular cylinder. Each of the cylinders should have the same compression give or take a few pounds. If this one shows something significantly less, you have something bigger.

Worst I could think here is you have a bad head gasket. That is nothing extremely hard to replace either..just takes time, and would require you to replace the thermostat gasket as well.

If the spark plug is not wet with water, my gut tells me it is not inside the cylinder. If you start the motor up again, check the gasket above #1 cylinder. I'm hoping this is all it would be is just a new gasket for the thermostat.

Keep us posted please...

Steve
Posted 1/14/2007 10:40 PM (#232191 - in reply to #232175)

Steve,
Thanks for the help and info. I will check into it further and keep you posted on what I find out. Thanks again,
RB
kjgmh
Posted 1/15/2007 8:59 AM (#232233 - in reply to #232175)

It is a water cover jacket gasket, your motor does not have a head gasket. No big deal, just make sure that the water cover is not warped or it will leak again. Use a good gasket sealer around the outer part of the gasket and a good sticky sealer like 3m weather strip adhesive around the center holes by the spark plugs.
RB
Posted 1/15/2007 5:40 PM (#232361 - in reply to #232175)

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I went to my nearest Mercury/Mariner dealer and they ordered the gasket for me. I purchased the step by step manual for repairs to my motor so wish me luck. I also picked up a new impeller since it has been three years since it was replaced. Thanks again for all the help. Muskie first rocks!!!!!!!!
RB
VMS
Posted 1/15/2007 8:53 PM (#232399 - in reply to #232233)

NO HEAD GASKET?

I will at least admit I forgot to mention the water jacket...but I don't know of ANY outboard engine that does not have a head gasket..

Steve