time for a new rod
dfree
Posted 1/10/2007 10:57 PM (#231533)
Subject: time for a new rod

Any suggestions for a new rod? thinking a thornes custom either diamondback or st. croix blank. I want a rod that will be used for big bucktails (triple x, double cowgirls) and possibly some bulldawgs.

thanks

dan

Edited by dfree 1/10/2007 10:57 PM
mm12463
Posted 1/11/2007 1:15 AM (#231545 - in reply to #231533)
Subject: RE: time for a new rod

I don't have a ton of experience like some folks here but I love my Professional Edge Custom rod.
My first rod when I started muskie fishing was a Gander Mt rod about 3 years ago. It worked, caught my 1st tigers. Heavier then what I have now but I had no idea about the differences out there.

Then I won a Fig Rig rod at our Muskies Inc meeting. Still love that rod, caught my first pure strain on it with Troy Z. Love that rod even if it is a 7 footer but I won't ever sell it. That was my first muskie rod I would toss in my personal preference list of a fantastic rod.

Then I purchased a Professional Edge Diamond Back Rod ( http://professionaledgefishingrods.com/ ). I was going with the flow. Everyone seemed to be raving about Keith's rods and I people always rave about Diamond Back blanks. Keith is a an exceptional person to deal with. I was not really sure what I wanted (still learning man). I love my 7'6" Heavy DP. Pick your wraps, pick whatever and he takes care of you. Keith will work with you and help you out. That is what I needed and he didn't push either.

I love that DB rod and it has my stupid nick name of Blowfish on it. So I won't ever sell for that reason but when I need another rod Keith will be the person I go with.

If it is during the season and he isn't making rods, but out fishing, I would go with a Fig Rig again. Love that rod and I have slam dunked some muskies on it with retarded, overlay zealous hook sets on it ( ask Troy)!

PS - Jameson is the best Whiskey you can buy. Haha, I'm drinking in my new house so what the heck!! LOL
BALDY
Posted 1/11/2007 6:55 AM (#231558 - in reply to #231545)

I also suggest you talk to Keith at Professional Edge. I have a couple rods from him, and have at least one more on the way.

For the baits you mention I would look at an 8-8'6" H on a Diamonback blank. You wont be disappointed.
tomcat
Posted 1/11/2007 6:56 AM (#231559 - in reply to #231533)

dfree..i have a handful of custom built rods..and i have plenty of rods i got "off the shelf". i have almost every big name rod out there...but when it's time to grab two rods and get in the boat, i take the Professional Edge Rods, made on a Diamond Back blank everytime. get an 8 foot heavy.. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
get an 8 footer or 8', 6".. on the diamond back blank. Other rods builders make custom rods with diamond back blanks..but Professional edge offers great pricing..and you do a TON of cool custom stuff to your rod to make it personal!!!
http://professionaledgefishingrods.com/muskie.html

yo yo..!! chicago show this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whitetails
Posted 1/11/2007 8:01 PM (#231788 - in reply to #231533)

If you can go to the Chicago Muskie show check out Dadson's Custom rods. I have an 8' bull dawg rod and a 7'6" rod both built on diamondback blanks. Sean & Scott realy take their time with you to build exactly what you want. Might just order a new one at the show. Dave
CaptainJolly
Posted 1/13/2007 11:34 AM (#232024 - in reply to #231533)

I have to agree with the others, Keith's rods are second to none. I recently had him design a rod for the exact thing you are looking for, heavy bucktails and bulldawgs. It is 9'3" and built on a St. Croix Legend Tournament blank. The rod has an extra long butt section for more leverage when throwing the big stuff. If you get to any of the musky shows you can see it in his booth. I just saw it down at the Chicago show yesterday, and it is awesome! Can't wait to get it home in a couple months!

http://professionaledgefishingrods.com/

Brett Jolly
http://www.wisconsinanglingadventures.com