Catching muskies during a cold front

Posted 3/10/2002 2:15 PM (#6991)
Subject: Catching muskies during a cold front

I was wondering how your tactics change when you are smack dab in the middle of a cold front. Should I switch to larger, slower baits; or stick with what I usually would throw during normal weather?

Thanks

Posted 3/12/2002 11:23 PM (#25501)

It seems that during cold fronts the fish suck up tight to cover. They may hover down in the weeds or drop to the bottom of a break line. I like plastic at this time. Bulldawgs or jig and creatures fill the bill. I will also try spinner baits, crawling them through the weeds of float down a break line. You have to get the bait in front of the fish, stick it in her face.

Good luck,Murph

Posted 3/14/2002 3:11 PM (#25502)

You've got options whether you're casting or trolling.

Casting: plastics, a spoon, a spinnerbait (drop and lift), or a jig. (Perhaps a twitch bait over the weeds.)

Trolling: spoon, spinnerbait, small crankbait.

Keep them TIGHT to the weeds and run them SLOW!

Steve Wickens

Posted 3/15/2002 12:18 PM (#25503)

Can you say SLOW!

I prefer to fish many of the same areas... but I work my lures extremly slow.

If its a glide bait like an Undertaker...its side to.............................................side....................................................to...........side...............................................................................to side. and a change up once or twice to trigger the slow following muskie.

Make the fish eat it, if its just too darn easy...he will.

Twitching minnow baits like Slammers in a very slow motion with lots of pauses and rises.

This works for me,
guts
Posted 4/30/2006 1:37 PM (#189580 - in reply to #6991)
Subject: RE: Catching muskies during a cold front

I usually throw my normal suick and reef hawg but work them ALOT slower