Digital Camcorder Questions...
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/9/2007 4:49 PM (#231155)
Subject: Digital Camcorder Questions...

I will be looking for a digital camcorder to keep in the boat this year.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but obviously I will have to spend some to get a decent camera.

I would be using this for quick video clips for future seminars, and posting thing here and on my site.

Do any of you have any suggestions for a camera that doesn't break the bank, but puts out decent quality video?

Thanks,
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/9/2007 5:31 PM (#231161 - in reply to #231155)
Subject: RE: Digital Camcorder Questions...

Love my sony DCH 21. It really takes quality vids at .about $300 new. It is 2 years old and i know they have come a long way since its' inception. It is a mini DV machine(digital tape). Some of the new ones record to a hard drive, and really look sweet.
sworrall
Posted 1/9/2007 6:10 PM (#231164 - in reply to #231155)

I'm using Mini DV format, small tapes, easy to use, and a small camera for the boat. Our production camera is a Canon GL1, much larger and many more features. It's difficult to tell the difference between the JVC GR-D250U video once it's edited unless the light is really low. The thing I like about the JVC is the Auto feature that allows for the unit to sit in stand by, all one has to do is open the LCD and hit record, no waiting for the camera to tun on and cycle to record.

The camera fits in my hand, and is very light. Another advantage is the ability to edit the video in high resolution AVI files, and every other format available, store it to a CD or harddrive, and keep the original tape, which you cannot do if you use a camera with short recording capacity or highly compressed format.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/9/2007 6:28 PM (#231169 - in reply to #231164)

Mike, one other sugestion is to get a quality digital camera that can shoot video. I have a HP707 that is just over 5mg. The pictures are great and the video is also very good. Sound and plenty of time if you only shoot small clips. The camera was a deal through Centry 21 for our buisness for around $200.

I know these cameras are small and very good for the money. I have a digital camcorder and only have great clips from my camera. This is because it's always in the boat and very handy. Spend $250 to $300 and you will be very pleased with what you can do. The only thing I will use my video recorder for will be underwater footage and long stuff. I can't wait to get this stuff up on my web site and sites like this for everyone to see.

Make sure you get enough megapixels. 6 to 8 meg would be great.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/9/2007 6:38 PM (#231171 - in reply to #231155)

I agree with the Extreme One..... I have a kodak z650 (or something like that number) and it has the ability to shoot almost a full hour of video with a 1MB card. The camera is great and takes great pictures.
Doug Bradley
Posted 1/10/2007 12:37 AM (#231236 - in reply to #231155)

Mike, I just purchased a Hitachi DZ-BX35A and ther vid quality is excelent. Li-Ion battery, and mini discs make it very simple. It also takes pics with the use of a SD memory card. I am no rocket scientist so belive me it is also very simple to use . I paid about 370.00$ for it at circuit city. Stop by the Pastikas booth in Chicago and look at my video for this year,it will help you see if it will work for you. Doug Bradley/Bitten Tackle