Terrarova vs. Auto Pilot V2
Magnummusky
Posted 1/7/2007 8:52 AM (#230489)
Subject: Terrarova vs. Auto Pilot V2

I am in the market for a new trolling motor for my boat it is a Ranger 185VS and when I bought it used last fall it had a Maxxum 65 on it. I prefer a Auto-pilot style versus the Cable driven style. My local boat dealer has a 65 auto-pilot with universal sonar and a 60 in shaft (I will have the shaft cut down) for $700. But I was looking through my new Cabela's book and saw the new Powerdrive or Auto-pilot V2"s does anyone know whether these new motors deploy differently than their predecessors? That Auto-pilot is a 70lb with a 54 and US but it is like $939 I would pay the difference if they deployed differntly or better than the old style. And then there is the terrarova these things really look nice but are they worth an additional $300 I just hate to spend a bunch of $$$ and then have Minn Kota discontinue it like the Genesis. Has anyone seen these motors so a guy can take a look at them are they at Gander Mountain yet ?
Schuler
Posted 1/7/2007 11:28 AM (#230513 - in reply to #230489)
Subject: RE: Terrarova vs. Auto Pilot V2

Looking at the Cabelas catalog it looks like the terrova is different but the autopilot/powerdrive v2 are the same.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/7/2007 1:14 PM (#230525 - in reply to #230489)

MM,

After multiple years of development and with Minn Kota needing to do something to improve the footpad on these pd's, I highly doubt things would go sour like the Genesis. The Genesis got discontinued for two reasons, there wasn't a demand for those motors at $2000, they also had some issues with this motor but the main reason was that there just wasn't a demand for these very high cost motors. But even if the Terrarova was discontinued, you would still be able to get service on these motors from warranty centers. I also recall seeing that the Terrarova comes with a three year warranty, so if you have issues with it then they should be able to take care of you. Another thing, you buy from Cabelas, they have a great return policy as long as you have the reciept. I have returned things in for exchange after having it for a season and they had no problems at all about me wanting to exchange or even just returning it.

I think I would definitely give the new motor a try, with the new footpad and the new deploy system I think this motor is going to be a good one. I would also go with the V2 or the Terrarova just because the fact that the footpads previous to this year are so unreliable and I think these new ones will hopefully be better.

Otherwise, have you considered the wireless Motorguide? I got to use these a little this past season and I was very impressed with them! I love the fact there wasn't a cord attached, the footpad was small and easy to store. I personally think Motorguide did a great job with this motor. We sure gave a lot of them away on the PWT this past season. Heard nothing but good about them! Just my .02.

Edited by Merckid 1/7/2007 1:40 PM
Schuler
Posted 1/7/2007 5:16 PM (#230565 - in reply to #230525)

Merc, I agree its about time they change things a little. But, when the old powerdrive works right its so nice. I like having a small foot pedal and once in awhile like having a 20 ft cord. I haven't seen the new Terrova yet, but hope the pedal is still a low profile one. The motor guide looks like a cool idea...but I guarantee if I had one the pedal would go overboard somehow.
Magnummusky
Posted 1/7/2007 5:35 PM (#230571 - in reply to #230489)

By reading the Cabela's ad it looks as thought the new powerdrives deploy differently than their predecesser but I am not sure. The only reason I would not look at the Motorguide is because I have to have auto-pilot I could not live without it again.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/7/2007 9:09 PM (#230617 - in reply to #230489)

MM,

From what I got from the reading on the V2's, I don't know how much they changed the deploy system on the pd's. It kinda sounds like they might have changed it but from the looks of it, it doesnt look like they did. Still the same old lever on the V2's. They definitely changed it for the Terrarova but like I said, from what I got from the reading, I honestly don't know how much or even if they changed the deploy system at all. MM, you might try and go onto the Minn Kota website and see if that gives any more info. Otherwise, call the company up. That's the best way to get info. Or seeing you live in the Mosinee/Wausau area, you might stop over and see if Chuck Brod has any info he could provide you with, seeing he is a Minn Kota Warranty service center.

Schular,

As for the footpads, from what I see in the magazine, the footpedals are still a low profile.
Got Esox?
Posted 1/8/2007 5:57 PM (#230870 - in reply to #230489)

I agree that the Minn Kota foot pedal can be improved, but I love the co-pilot, great for position fishing suckers in the fall.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/9/2007 2:46 PM (#231123 - in reply to #230489)

For those of you inerested in the new Terrarova, I thought I would let anyone that is interested that I was in Gander Mountain this afternoon and was reading a boating magazine, it was called "Bass and Walleye Boats". That was the name of the magazine. On page 50, they featured a three page product review of the all new Minn Kota Terrarova. They had the exclusive test review before anyone had seen the motor yet. It's a pretty decent read if your looking at purchasing the new motor. I found it worth reading, thought I would share that with those who are interested.
Magnummusky
Posted 1/10/2007 7:52 AM (#231255 - in reply to #230489)

Thanks TJ I may have to pick that up. I am surprised with all of the people that run Autopilots and/or people that work in the industry do not have more feedback on this subject.

Edited by Magnummusky 1/10/2007 7:52 AM
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/10/2007 1:02 PM (#231347 - in reply to #230489)

Shane, with the Terrarova just getting introduced at the ICAST show last July, there hasn't been to much said on this motor yet. They are just now available to the public and you will begin to hear more about them very soon! I believe some of the guys had them on the PWT if I recall right. But from what I read in that article, Minn Kota kept a pretty tight lip on this motor until the debut at the ICAST show.

Edited by Merckid 1/10/2007 1:29 PM