Rod handle extension
BruceKY
Posted 1/6/2007 9:43 PM (#230459)
Subject: Rod handle extension

I have a couple St Croix Premier rods that I am thinking about extending the handle by a few inches. They are the 7'0" and the 7'2". I tried to search for previous threads about this but came up empty.

Anyone do this? I would like to do it myself. Where can I get the materials? Is there a kit?

I figure I would cut the existing handle about an inch from the end, then get a graphite tube to fit into the existing blank. Epoxy that into the rod. glue on a few cork donuts, and then epoxy on the origional end. After everything dried sand smooth. Will it work?

Thanks,
Bruce
Tim Kelly
Posted 1/7/2007 2:00 AM (#230475 - in reply to #230459)
Subject: RE: Rod handle extension

Yep, that's exactly how I extended the handle on my 7'6" heavy Avid. Transforms the rod and you'd have to look pretty closely to notice the extension (if you care too much how a rod looks!)
jlong
Posted 1/7/2007 7:16 AM (#230480 - in reply to #230475)
Subject: RE: Rod handle extension

If you are only looking to extend the handle an inch or two.... the easiest thing to try is the Bass Pro/Normark Rod Balancers. They are a rubber butt extension with lead weights that work AWESOME... and as an added bonus the rod handle gets a little longer since they just slip onto the end of your existing handle. May want to give that a try?