Additional jerkbait rod questions
bluegill
Posted 1/2/2007 8:53 PM (#229611)
Subject: Additional jerkbait rod questions

Hey all,

I've been following the suick rod thread closely, and I have a few questions for those using longer rods (7'6"+ ) for this application. I like using some of the pull-style, up-down baits like the Sledge and Bobbie, and sometimes Suick. The rod I used last year for these is the St Croix Premier 6'9" Heavy, and I really liked the way it handled in the situations I fish in, but I always end up slapping the last 1-2" of the rod in the water. The boat I fish mostly from is pretty low to the water, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. It drives me nuts when I hit the water, but I'm hesitant to go to a shorter rod. I work these baits really aggresively, and need to find a rod or method of holding the rod that will maintain the length while allowing me to work the bait fast. I hold the St Croix by the foregrip, so there isn't much margin for movement there (and I probably won't loose my excess belly anytime soon-although it is on the list again!). I generally work the rod from the 8 o'clock position to as close to 6 o'clock as possible without hiting the boat. Do you long-rod guys work the rod higher, like 9 o'clock to 7 o'clock?

Second, what kind of action to you like for these baits? Santa just brought one of the 2006 6'9" XH rods to me, but that thing is a lot stouter than the older Heavy. Doesn't appear to have any give in the tip; I can picture hooks ripping out of a fish. So who makes a decent (read: reasonably priced-no customs or high ends) rod with a stout butt section with lighter tip. Be specific!

Thanks,

Eric

PS: Replying 'I like 8 footers' is not a helpful responce. Please elaborate!
Shredder
Posted 1/2/2007 10:11 PM (#229629 - in reply to #229611)
Subject: RE: Additional jerkbait rod questions

I'm no expert but I started throwing jerkbaits, mostly Suicks and Burts, quite a bit last year and initially used an 8' heavy. My boat is relatively high but I did have the problem of the tip hitting the water especially when the bait got closer to the boat. It seemed that when the bait was out a ways I could work the rod a little higher but couldn't quite figure out what to do when it got close. I tried a 6'3" rod for a while but it seemed too short. Late in the year I purchased a 6'10" heavy Fig Rig that I like quite a bit for these baits so far. As far as action goes I like some give in the tip. I would like to try a 7'6" medium heavy at some point if I get a chance. I normally palm the reel and would say that I work the rod between 9 o'clock to 7. I don't think I ever run it down to 6 o'clock but it's been a while since fishing season so I don't remember exactly.