Multi-Part Hook Question
tmag
Posted 12/29/2006 12:04 AM (#228388)
Subject: Multi-Part Hook Question

Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you do anything special to help prevent snags?

On the same subject, I was wondering if single hooks or weedguard hooks make much of a difference?

I've also often heard it said that hookup ratios are increased with single hooks. How about the landing ratio and is this 'hookup ratio' including different styled baits?

I will mention that I'm familiar with lure retrievers. I'm looking for ways people avoid the snag in the first place.

However, while we're at it, if any of you find one lure retriever better for musky lures than another, by all means, feel free to offer the info.

Thanks,

T-Man
Partycrasher
Posted 1/3/2007 8:01 AM (#229666 - in reply to #228388)
Subject: RE: Multi-Part Hook Question

For many years I fished a lake in northern WI that was very flowage-like. The main structure was stump fields, fall downs and big cabbage flats. It was snag-city. I made my own bucktails using single salmon hooks (siwash). It made a huge difference. I bet I reduced snags by 75% or more.

Muskies hooked on singles rarely get off. But, you do miss more strikes on singles. On this wood infested lake it was worth it or I'd do nothing but waste time on snags.

Here are a couple tips though. File the points of the salmon hooks so that the distance from the point to the barb is about half of what it is out of the box. Those points are too long for musky. Also, picture the hook laying flat on a table, the point and the shank are flat on the same plane. You dont want that. Put them in a vice and bend them about 10 degrees out of plane. Not more than that. This really increases hookups.

Mustad and Owner make a good Salmon hook. Sizes 4/0, 5/0, 6/0.
musky-skunk
Posted 1/5/2007 12:17 PM (#230169 - in reply to #228388)
Subject: RE: Multi-Part Hook Question

I made a couple bucktails with siwash hooks and agree with your assesment. For snags I think the Frabil lure retriever is a must have. I broke mine this fall and felt afraid to fish after that becouse in the fall I use it 6-7 times a day. My only beef with it is that where I fish it is just short enough that I usually have to get wet to get it down to the lure. Most lure knockers will work but do not have the weight typically needed for musky baits.