Female Hybrids can reproduce???
esoxaddict
Posted 12/20/2006 12:06 PM (#226733)
Subject: Female Hybrids can reproduce???

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=677

"Although the male tiger muskellunge are sterile, females are often fertile and are capable of backcrossing (Becker 1983). "

George Becker seems to be credible, but I always heard they were sterile...

http://www.mscd.edu/~ncate/vita/beckerg.htm

If this "backcrossing" takes place, what do they reproduce with, Pike or Muskies? And what about THOSE offspring? Are they sterile? What do you call them?

Any biologists know anyhing about this??

MuskyHopeful
Posted 12/20/2006 2:20 PM (#226758 - in reply to #226733)
Subject: RE: Female Hybrids can reproduce???

Are you not familiar with Chaos Theory? Did you ever hear of Jurassic Park? It was a theme park on some island where they cloned dinosaurs. Like a big zoo, Great America style. Those dinosaurs were supposed to be sterile, but they were reproducing like crazy. A number of people were killed. I believe I saw it on the Discovery Channel or on the National Geographic.

Nature finds a way. I bet if Sorno keeps catching those Utah Tigers they'll start to reproduce. Notice how lovingly he holds them.

As scary as it sounds, I was even able to reproduce, though just once. Come to think of it, my wife did call me Tiger.

Kevin

I'm really bored.
Muskie Treats
Posted 12/21/2006 10:54 PM (#227034 - in reply to #226733)

From what I've heard they "can" reproduce, but it's effectively a sterile fish. You're probably talking less then 10% chance of reproducing successfully and probably in the 2-3% from people I've talked to.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/26/2006 12:30 AM (#227735 - in reply to #226733)

Treats is right......Some will reproduce, but they will never do it enough to make a sustainable population.
muskynightmare
Posted 12/26/2006 7:54 PM (#227879 - in reply to #226733)

I have seen Tigers go through the motions, but Pointer probably knows more than us.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/27/2006 6:10 PM (#228072 - in reply to #226733)

I think it is natural for them to go through the motions. Most are sterile though so natural reproductions is a rare occurance. They might even produce eggs and milt but it they never fertilize.
firstsixfeet
Posted 12/28/2006 9:37 AM (#228160 - in reply to #226758)

MuskyHopeful - 12/20/2006 2:20 PM

Are you not familiar with Chaos Theory? Did you ever hear of Jurassic Park? It was a theme park on some island where they cloned dinosaurs. Like a big zoo, Great America style. Those dinosaurs were supposed to be sterile, but they were reproducing like crazy. A number of people were killed. I believe I saw it on the Discovery Channel or on the National Geographic.

Nature finds a way. I bet if Sorno keeps catching those Utah Tigers they'll start to reproduce. Notice how lovingly he holds them.

As scary as it sounds, I was even able to reproduce, though just once. Come to think of it, my wife did call me Tiger.

Kevin

I'm really bored.

Scary post, for sure!
esoxaddict
Posted 12/28/2006 10:14 AM (#228166 - in reply to #226733)

If the small percentage of females who produce fertile eggs could be isolated somehow, and bred with either muskies or Pike, would the resulting offspring then be fertile?

I realize it's a hypothetical question, and there's really no good reason to try to make frankenmuskies, but it is an interesting concept. If we could create a self replicating strain of hybrid muskellunge, we could have sustainable populations of fish in areas that don't have the budget to support continued stocking.

Pretty sure someone with a lot more knowledge than me has thought of this already though...
sorenson
Posted 12/28/2006 12:23 PM (#228210 - in reply to #226733)

In most places where they're used, the primary reason for using them is so they WON'T reproduce. Trying to make them fertile is counter productive to the management goals.
S.