Hair vs. Flashabou
jlong
Posted 12/12/2006 9:01 PM (#225173)
Subject: Hair vs. Flashabou

Hair vs. Flashabou. Does one catch more fish than the other? Or is the power all in the blade?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Crystal Cisco (chart).jpg)

(Shimmerin' Wacky Whitefish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Crystal Cisco (chart).jpg (99KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments Shimmerin' Wacky Whitefish.jpg (57KB - 167 downloads)
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/16/2006 4:10 PM (#226049 - in reply to #225173)
Subject: RE: Hair vs. Flashabou

I prefer all hair vs. all flash on a spinnerbait, or at least some hair with the flash. seems the flash gets tangled and tied up when tied in full, on a spinnerbait. I do like it on an inline, where the blades keep it 'fluffed'. I don't think the 'dressing' makes too much of a difference though. All in the blades dude.
jlong
Posted 12/17/2006 7:28 PM (#226187 - in reply to #226049)

Reef Hawg,
I have not had any tangling issues with the flashabou. I've had it tangle in treble hooks on an in-line... but no issues so far on the single hook spinnerbaits.... even though the flashabou doesn't "fluff" like it does in the back-draft of a traditional bucktail. Personally, I like how it shimmers in a more slender profile on a spinnerbait.

And if the power is in the blade, does that mean two blades are better than one?

Edited by jlong 12/17/2006 7:33 PM

(Crystal Cisco DoubleShot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Crystal Cisco DoubleShot.jpg (97KB - 144 downloads)
Reef Hawg unplugged
Posted 12/20/2006 6:06 PM (#226814 - in reply to #225173)

Huh, we had the stuff keep tying itself in knots, usually with fish in the bag. Again, worse with the inlines, but that is not with a hair and flash combo as you show here. Two blades better?? Looks like a cool combo there, but better than a single? Depends what you want I guess. More thump with the single. The right doubles for more speed(less resistance). Just send that one to me, and I'll test it out to see... I do lke the idea of double blades on some of my spinnerbaits of late, but not in the fashion that most are making them........
Reef Hawg unplugged
Posted 12/20/2006 6:08 PM (#226815 - in reply to #225173)

I just looked at your first photos again and see that you tie differently. I guess we've been trying to get the length with just one tie. I'd suspect tying shorter lengths on the keeper and the back hook, might be the answer...
jlong
Posted 12/20/2006 6:52 PM (#226819 - in reply to #226815)

Reef Hawg,

Yup, the shorter length and even the "folded over" tie works great to keep tangling to a minimum on the Flashabou. As long as the stuff is short enough to NOT wrap around a hook shaft... you are golden. Haven't had a knot yet.... whether using the narrow "whimpy" stuff or the wider, more rigid Flashabou.

As for the Tandems.... all our LongTales are designed for SPEED.... including those with two blades. No real secret... we just keep the blades more in the same plane as the line-tie. On a traditional spinnerbait you just need to "pinch down" the arm to reduce the drag/resistance of the lure.... and keep the blades as far forward as you can.

We can compare notes on this subject in 2007 while exploring the "big" water together. Tuesday nights, right????
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/22/2006 7:58 PM (#227239 - in reply to #225173)

Good points. Greg has been making his thumpers similar to the grinder, though with a slightly longer lead to the blades. We also like em' speedy. I do have some longer armed jobs, that I'll pinch down on occasion for reed fishing. Works good.

I'll bring the tacos.