GPS MOB FEATURE
JohnMD
Posted 12/12/2006 12:18 PM (#225072)
Subject: GPS MOB FEATURE

Have you marked fish that were either caught or seen with the MOB (Man Over Board) feature? I have done this with some success, not only enabling me to return to a hot fish but when combined with the mapping it helps to locate other potential spots resulting in more MOB points

Just Curious if others use this feature

Edited by JohnMD 12/12/2006 12:18 PM
Marc J
Posted 12/12/2006 1:10 PM (#225080 - in reply to #225072)
Subject: RE: GPS MOB FEATURE

How are MOB points different from regular waypoints?
JohnMD
Posted 12/12/2006 1:39 PM (#225087 - in reply to #225080)

Not sure on other units but on my Garmin 162 MOB is a one touch button no other data is entered where a waypoint needs additional info. the MOB is just faster to enter and then I go back later and change the icon and data to waypoint info

Beaver
Posted 12/12/2006 2:50 PM (#225107 - in reply to #225072)

Ed Zactly.
I have a 162 also. Hit the MOB, and the coordinates are entered in and an MOB icon appears on the screen.
When I get home, I download the map, and change the MOB into a waypoint. I don't know if other units have an instant waypoint feature, but that is what it actually is. I use it a lot. Marking the tips of points, the little pocket in an inside turn or the spot on the spot.
Beav
Shep
Posted 12/12/2006 3:36 PM (#225119 - in reply to #225107)

This would be a great thread on the Tackle and Equipment forum. GPS Tips, or Sonar tips, or Boat tips, or......you name it.Lowrance units have an ICON button for one push marking.

Here is what I do with my Lowrance. Especially when trolling, and I want to create a waypoint. I hit the Waypoint button once. This brings up a prompt to save it. I leave that prompt until I get the fish in the net. If it's a fish I want, I can hit the waypoint again, and the waypoint is saved. If it's a sheepshead, I hit exit, and I don't have to worry about deleting it later. 2 button pushes, and I'm done. I got push a lot more buttons than that, to get a rise out of the wife!

Edited by Shep 12/12/2006 3:38 PM
bn
Posted 12/12/2006 4:24 PM (#225131 - in reply to #225072)

Lowrance units are very easy to actually put a fish symbol where you caught/raised/lost etc any fish you want...
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 12/12/2006 7:47 PM (#225164 - in reply to #225072)

From my experience the MOB feature is the same as creating a regular way point with 2 additional features. First. it marks the spot on you map with the MOB icon rather than the default icon for waypoints. AND the important feature is it automatcally enables a "go to" feature providing you with essential navigation information (heading and distance) so you can return to the point of the MOB ASAP so you can rescue the SOB. Ordinarily with a waypoint you would have to go to the waypoint menu, select waypoint and the enable "go to" so you can return to the spot. MOB gets you there with one push of the button. Learned this while sailing on the big pond and executing MOB drills regularly throughout the year especially prior to racing with a new crew.
Karl
Shep
Posted 12/13/2006 8:18 AM (#225216 - in reply to #225164)

I've never been in a situation where I have had to return to a spot so quickly that I didn't have time to make 3 button presses to get to the GO TO button. Actually, when I am going to a waypoint, and I can see it on my screen, I don't use the "GO TO" to navigate there. I just drive the boat towards the waypoint. As for the ICON being different from the waypoint ICON, I would suggest using the ICON feature, and use one of the many symbols available. Then convert to a waypoint when it's convenient.

I'll leave the MOB for what it was intended.

Edited by Shep 12/13/2006 8:19 AM
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 12/20/2006 10:21 AM (#226714 - in reply to #225072)

never mind

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 12/20/2006 10:21 AM
cjrich
Posted 12/21/2006 8:51 AM (#226896 - in reply to #225072)

So we are loaded will dozens of MOB or Waypoint icons. Do most guys keep a little journal or log to categorize these spots? Seems like it would be somewhat difficult to remember all of the types of structure, breaklines, fished raised or caught, etc.

I am still trying to figure out how to label these points on my Lowrance. Cant's seem to find exactly where one would find letters to type words identifying these points.

Craig
Ben Kueng
Posted 12/26/2006 11:43 AM (#227782 - in reply to #225072)

Most units will allow you to plot a waypoint,icon or MOB.

Waypoints as well the MOB feature will mark an actual Cooridinate in the unit as well as place a symbol on the screen. Well, Ive never actually used the MOB feature so Im assuming that it does.

Marking an icon wil not register cooridinates and mearly places a symbol (of your choice) on the screen. This is my preferred method of plotting, especially when marking bait fish. It allows you to mark icons as fast as you can hit the Icon/enter button. If I locate a thick pod of BF than I will lay down an excessive amount of icons on that spot.

When I come across something of great importance (mark a ski on the sonar, structure, hook-up etc...) than I will mark a waypoint.

One thing to remember is that you can not manage individual icons..If one goes, they all go. If by chance you have icons of importance, simply navigate your cursor over the icon, ZOOM IN and write down the cooridinates or just mark a waypoint over it.

Personally, I NEVER use the navigation feature on my GPS.

Just my two cents..

Ben Kueng
Guaranteed Guide Service
http://www.benkueng.com

Marc J
Posted 12/26/2006 2:21 PM (#227816 - in reply to #225072)

I started keeping a log at the beginning of the season but even after a few hundred points entered I find I don't have much trouble remembering what my points were for, and I'll mark a point for almost anything. If I do think I'll have trouble remembering I put an abbreviated name on it.
Shep
Posted 12/26/2006 2:34 PM (#227817 - in reply to #227816)

I manage my waypoints with Map Create. I use it to save by lake name, and fish species. I usually save a file for each lake. There I have them organized by initials, and dates.