Stocking New Waters
kdawg
Posted 12/8/2006 11:36 AM (#224462)
Subject: Stocking New Waters

This subject has nothing to do with strain of fish but what does it take to stock musky in new waters? My parents retired on the Chetek Chain of lakes. The problem, NO MUSKIES! When I visit my parents most of my fishing is on Rice Lake. I know the dnr has to approve but who else is involved in the decision process? The resort associations? The land and business owners? Or is it strictly up to the dnr? Any information would be appreciated. Kdawg
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/13/2006 4:11 PM (#225310 - in reply to #224462)
Subject: RE: Stocking New Waters

Dont quote me on this but I believe it is a combintation of all of them. I think the DNR has to do the initial approval to say that the waters can support muskies but I think the land owners also have to approve the stocking.

Of course there is the alternative method in doing a secret night mission and dumping some in yourself (Just kidding obviously!)

Mike
sworrall
Posted 12/13/2006 6:44 PM (#225337 - in reply to #225310)

Pointer is correct, it takes more than the area fisheries manager saying OK.
lambeau
Posted 12/13/2006 9:36 PM (#225368 - in reply to #224462)

Lake Neshonoc over near La Crosse is a good example.
there was a group of dedicated Muskies Inc folks from La Crosse who worked with the local DNR manager, met with local lake association and other invested groups, and built some momentum - including a petition drive assisted here on MuskieFirst. i'm pretty sure the lake was stocked for the first time this fall.

check out this thread:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24...

and then i suggest talking to someone from the God's Country chapter of Muskies Inc. about how they went about getting this to happen.
Tom Oldenburg was the person who contacted me about putting the petition up on the site.
more info is available on their club website, including contact info for their leadership:
http://www.lacrossemuskies.com/
kdawg
Posted 12/14/2006 5:19 PM (#225600 - in reply to #225368)

Thanks guys for the information. Last year, the local paper in Chetek, The Chetek Alert, took a readers poll and asked the question if they would like to see muskies stocked in the chain. Over 70 percent responded in favor. So at least I've got that working for me. I believe the opposition comes from the "old-timers" who believe muskies would have a negative impact on the panfish fishery,for which the chain is known for. I feel if the facts were known and presented that this belief is simply not true,maybe I could get that 70 percent up to 80. Some believe it would bring more pressure on the lakes but if pressure were to come I would want it from musky fisherman who release 90-95 percent of the fish. I'm sure the resort and local business owners would see increased revenues,especially in the fall. I do like the petition idea and I'll work on that over the holidays and maybe present it to The Alert newspaper to start. Kdawg