Question - Bass Pro Pete Maina Signature Series Muskie Rods
Mr T
Posted 12/7/2006 2:42 AM (#224237)
Subject: Question - Bass Pro Pete Maina Signature Series Muskie Rods

Hi All
I was just wondering what are your thoughts are on these rods. I know they are not a top of the range rod, but has anybody fished with them and what is the overall view of them.
regards
Ric
Moss back
Posted 12/7/2006 4:59 AM (#224239 - in reply to #224237)
Subject: RE: Question - Bass Pro Pete Maina Signature Series Muskie Rods

I have 2 and like them. They are a bit heavier than some on the nicer rods, but for the price you can't beat the rod and reel combo deals. The other thing I like is if you have problems with either one, you can take it back to BPS and they will exchange for a new one.

Dave
muskihntr
Posted 12/7/2006 7:49 AM (#224250 - in reply to #224237)

they are great rods for the money...use em abuse em, lifetime warrantee as well, if anything happens to it, just bring it back to a bass pro outlet and they will replace it.
mikie
Posted 12/7/2006 12:28 PM (#224304 - in reply to #224237)

I like mine a lot, even for a two piece rod. I got one of the older black Pete reels with it, the gearing on it is much different from the others I have which works out good in some cases.
I broke my upper piece and didn't know about the warranty, but got a local rod maker to put a new top piece on it for cheap. I really like the removable weights in the rod butt, great counter balance for the bigger baits. m
Posted 12/7/2006 2:54 PM (#224333 - in reply to #224304)

Mikie
It was the 2 piece rod I was looking at. What is the rod you use rated at, I have heard people say that these rods are too stiff just like a pool cue and that being a two piece they have a tendancy to come apart after considerable use? What are your thought?
Regards
Richard
mikie
Posted 12/8/2006 2:06 PM (#224480 - in reply to #224237)

I did have an occasional problem with the two pieces coming apart, I attributed it to me not checking the fit before each use. I considered glue at one point.

I don't have the rod here, so I'm guessing it was a MH at 6'6". It is a stiff one, which is what I used for bigger baits, not a fast action, either. It has a real long cork handle with counter weights, which really helped in the days when I was on a steep learning curve (?? as opposed to now??).

While casting, the wind grabbed my topraider and I got it hung in a dead tree. While trying to get it down with my lure pole, the whole limb came down and crushed the top part of the rod. A rod maker just put a new blank on it for me and it's better-than-new (no thanks to Thornes, who told me I'd be better off with them making me a new one!).

Mine is about 6 years old, they may have changed designs since then? I'll tell you, mine looks nothing like the Maina rod I just saw on the for sale page.

If there's a BPro store near you, stop by and give it a try. Otherwise, make sure they have a generous return policy in case it's not just what you want. m
Rick
Posted 12/16/2006 1:48 AM (#225971 - in reply to #224237)

I have one of those and a Fig Rig. I can hardly stand using the BPS rod....its like a battleaxe compared to the fig rig....my advice...spend the extra money....you'll be glad you did.
MoMuskieguy
Posted 12/21/2006 3:46 PM (#226973 - in reply to #224239)

I have 3 of the Maina rods. All 3 are the telescopic 8 footers. I liked them a lot until I tried a buddies St Croix Avid. I am putting them all to rest and going the way of quality this year. I purchased 2 Diawa Luna reels and will be mating them to a couple of MUCH lighter quality rods this year. BPS/Maina are okay but after a FULL day of fishing they will wear you out because of how heavy they are.