Another trolling question. . . . . .
brandonschorle
Posted 12/5/2006 3:16 PM (#223859)
Subject: Another trolling question. . . . . .

Are the planer board rods a heaver rod than the ones that arent on the planer boards? How do you guys have them set up? How do you have the rod holders set up on your boat pictures would be great!! More of a visual learner haha well any help is great!!!!!

Thanks
reelman
Posted 12/5/2006 4:38 PM (#223889 - in reply to #223859)
Subject: RE: Another trolling question. . . . . .

I use the same rods for planer boards as I do for my other rods for trolling for musky. I only run 1 board per side and put that rod in the most forward rod holder with the tip pretty high in the air. If you are running multiple boards you want the board farthest from the boat in the most forward rod holder and the closest board in the farthest back rod holder.
woodieb8
Posted 12/5/2006 7:34 PM (#223927 - in reply to #223859)

most of us on st clair use a soft tip rod like an ugly stik tiger blank. for long rods we use a 10 footer dipsey on the corners. wash rods are normally 7 footers. the old standard meat rod on midship is usually a 5 ft fiberglass rod. thats if you have enuff people on board. you could easily run 10-12 rods. talk about chinese fire drills.
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/5/2006 10:41 PM (#223976 - in reply to #223859)

First off, definately no expert on the subject as some here are. I often run 3 boards per side when the fish are boat shy(like they were this fall). Longest rod towards the front of the boat and the highest tip, then down in tip height and rod length as you go back. That way when the outside board goes, the line will be clear from the others(most of the time, unless on a very sharp turn or with a very big fish that wants to rush the boat). Longest line will be to the outside board. Keeping the motor in gear for a spell after the outside one goes will keep things clear too. after the fish has cleared the other lines, my partner(or me if he is fighting) wil let more line out on the other boards to get them away from the boat, and reel in the boat rods(if there are any). I like the Fig Rig Tooth Tamer glass rods for boards. Thry have also worked great for casting big cranks and plastics. that said, am thinking of employing a mast system next year for late season trolling. just can't justify using a trolling system worth more than my boat...............

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/5/2006 10:42 PM