bucktails in fall
esoxnut
Posted 11/7/2006 11:22 PM (#219590)
Subject: bucktails in fall

I have asked alot of my friends this question and get mixed opinions. Do you throw bucktails in fall and catch fish. Myself, I try them all year and get the same results, fish that follow and wont eat it. This has been a tough fall for me with artificial baits, I have not even been seeing fish on them. Suckers have been another story, I've lost 3 big fish in 3 outings( 2 mid 40's and 1 pushing the 50 mark). I've been throwing alot of grandmas and glide baits(Hellhounds and Phantoms). I have used bucktails a little but I'm wondering if I should hit them a little harder.
Your opinions are appreciated.
Thanks John
agrimm
Posted 11/8/2006 7:25 AM (#219599 - in reply to #219590)
Subject: RE: bucktails in fall

This fall, in my experience the person throwing a Cowgirl brought in the fish, but another bait caught the fish. However, both fish were turned onto by the bucktail, when the other lures/meat gained no attention. An article in the recent Musky Hunter shows an near-ice up fish caught on a Cowgirl...so I usually toss them sometime through out the day. I do choose the spot more carefully and cast when I'm working a really step break, but casting upto 2-3' of water.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 11/8/2006 4:04 PM (#219749 - in reply to #219590)

Bucktails are one of the most under-utilized baits in Fall, even til ice up.I've graduated to larger tails because of where I now fish, but caught lots of Fall fish over the years on a Mepps Tandem Giant Killer.Although they may not be the 1st choice,bucktails will still produce when water temps plummet.Slow and low.Good luck. Steve
CowgirlAddict
Posted 11/8/2006 8:19 PM (#219806 - in reply to #219590)

ive caught all but 1 of my fish this year on Cowgirls, hence the name, but i throw those things everytime i am out
and it has paid off