Some new walleye patterns I've been working on!
Tigger
Posted 10/17/2006 3:37 PM (#215302)
Subject: Some new walleye patterns I've been working on!

Hey everybody hope your doing well. I made a couple of walleye color baits this week can't wait to try them out this weekend. The crank has a body that is 8-1/2" long. It was a pearl color but I decided to rework it. It runs good at 5mph. Gets to 8-12 feet down, nice wobble. The jerk/glide is just boyant and darts down nice. Tried that one out in the pond before I painted it. It is 10" long. On more coat of epoxy on them tonight.

Question for you guys. Is it bad that I'm putting the screw eye more on top of the head. My theory is that when you jerk it it darts down. Also if you just reel it in it will dive and hold around 3-4 feet. It has a little swimming action like a rattle trap. Should I put the srew eye straight into the nose or is ok the way that I'm doing it?

Thanks
John

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC01515walleyecr.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC01521walleyegl.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01515walleyecr.jpg (26KB - 74 downloads)
Attachments DSC01521walleyegl.jpg (23KB - 80 downloads)
Beaver
Posted 10/17/2006 3:51 PM (#215308 - in reply to #215302)
Subject: RE: Some new walleye patterns I've been working on!

I can think of several lures that had screw eyes on the top and worked very well...the Striker Jr. comes to mind.
It's up to you and what kind of action you are looking to get out of the lure.
The paint jobs, especially the coloring around the heads, are very very good.
I like the bigger blotches on the darter.
Some very nice craftsmanship.
Keep it up, you obviously have the gift.
Beav
guts
Posted 10/18/2006 5:45 AM (#215392 - in reply to #215302)

In the movie''infishermans greatest musky film ever made'' the said they moved some of the screw eyes up, I think they said it made it run a little deeper so try it out i like the baits you have there and they have a nice color pattern.
brule
Posted 10/18/2006 11:17 AM (#215470 - in reply to #215302)

Tigger,

Is that a foil pattern. How do you achieve that?

Luke
Tigger
Posted 10/18/2006 3:37 PM (#215551 - in reply to #215302)

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Yes that is a foil below everything. Started doing it by accident. I went to make a silver shiner and didn't like it. I started to paint over it but I had thinned my paint to much. Clear coated it to start again and liked the effect. It got me going with some ideas. The effect is neat but there is alot of epoxy involved. I have heard that the undercoats can maybe be an automotive type clear to save some time and money. Then epoxy over it later with the final steps. I have another batch of lures that I'll try some different stuff with. Maybe have some pics next week. I want to try a black sucker and better perch patttern than I had before.

Lure size question for northern folk. How big of jerk and glider type lures do you guys use up there. Do you thinks the I should try a larger size jerk? Like 14" -16" range. Or is that overkill. Thinking about seeing if any of you guys want to trade lures. I don't have any bucktail spinners or spinnerbaits. I think some of these baits need to get to the "BIG" musky territory. Here in Ohio we have some nice fish but not like you guys have up there.

Here's a good laugh for you! I just started musky fishing 2 months ago. I have hooked 4 but not got one into the boat. I fish a hundred plus days a year but for walleyes , steelhead, and panfish. This musky thing seems to be very addictive. Still a little time left this year to try to get one. If it doesn't happen this year those spring walleyes will have to wait! Thanks everybody for your feedback. I'll pretend not to a know it all because I'm not. I find the luremaking very relaxing. I make big things a work all day and it is nice to work on something that you can hold in your hand and sit in a chair.

Thanks
John
fish4musky1
Posted 10/18/2006 4:49 PM (#215569 - in reply to #215302)

that thing looks real. nice job. i like the scale effect, couldnt have looked better
Musky Snax
Posted 10/18/2006 9:51 PM (#215641 - in reply to #215302)

Very clean look to your baits. Great job my friend.
As for size for gliders, my best Friend and Pro Staffer Sean Tremblay has put more big muskies in the boat since he started throwing his now favourite 11" Perch Musky Snax glider. Any bigger than that probably won't mean bigger fish in the boat and the added weight will become a pain (literally!) when you are casting it all day.

I think that the 11" mark is about the limit for what is a huge but still fishable glide bait. Just my humble opinion of course.