Best Bang for the Buck (eyewear)
.fish.
Posted 9/5/2006 2:35 PM (#207941)
Subject: Best Bang for the Buck (eyewear)

I need opinions on a good quality pair of polarized glasses that wont make me break the bank.. I have tried the cheap ones and they are crap, but I cant bring myself to spend 100 bucks on a pair either...
Thanks.
Magruter
Posted 9/5/2006 2:38 PM (#207942 - in reply to #207941)
Subject: RE: Best Bang for the Buck (eyewear)

I wear $12 polarized safety glasses, i've lost a bunch of pairs to the lake when i forget they are on top of my hat. Think about a price where if you loose them you won't shead a tear.
Trophymuskie
Posted 9/5/2006 3:52 PM (#207949 - in reply to #207941)

I have a pair of H20's that I bought 4-6 years ago for $50 through MI. Those things are still good for another 5 years. I've put them through the paces even sat of them a few times and they are tough. They are also very light with interchangeble lenses as well. If I lost them I would buy another pair in a flash.

I use to go through 2 or 3 pairs af the $20 kind every single year and they weren't that good ether.

Edited by Trophymuskie 9/5/2006 3:52 PM
poodle
Posted 9/5/2006 4:11 PM (#207951 - in reply to #207941)

I went to higher buck (100ish) glasses a number of years ago and haven't looked back. I've never lost a pair and found that I took better care of them than I did the cheap ones and glass is harder to scratch so they've lasted, I would go through a couple pairs of $20 to $30 shades a year, so I figure I'm ahead now--I wear Smith Action Optics and figure they are the best bang for the buck.

The worst thing I ever did was by a $10 pair of shades when I was on the road because I forgot mine at home--headaches and my eyes hurt worse than not having them on (and I was in the tropics).

happy hooker
Posted 9/5/2006 4:18 PM (#207953 - in reply to #207941)

People have gave me their various spendy glassess to wear in the boat in an effort to 'prove it" to me that their better,,But I just dont notice the diff,,I am supposed to wear glasses and Im thinking maybe you only see the quality and benefit with good eysight,,Im still seeiing follows has soon has the next guy with my cheapo specks
MuskieMedic
Posted 9/5/2006 5:08 PM (#207962 - in reply to #207941)

As a person who easily gets migraines from being out in the bright sun all day I have tried many different kinds of cheap ones and most them did not work as well as my Costa Del Mars that I currently wear. I can wear these all day and not have any problems and it is incredible how well you can see underwater with these vs. the real cheap ones. Look on ebay, you should be able to find some used ones.

Edited by MuskieMedic 9/5/2006 5:08 PM
Marshall
Posted 9/5/2006 5:48 PM (#207967 - in reply to #207941)

Sack it up and buy a pair of Costas.

Just kidding Dave. They are awesome though. If you want to try a pair, let me know...you can try mine.
reelman
Posted 9/5/2006 5:56 PM (#207969 - in reply to #207941)

You answered your own question - the cheap ones are crap! Go buy yourself a QUALITY pair of glasses and you will wonder how you ever got along without them. I realize that spending $100+ on a pair of sunglasses is a hard thing to do but IMHO they are one of the best purchases you can make.

Magruter, I love the picture next to your post I GOTTA HAVE MORE COW BELL! The best SNL skit EVER!
jacorn
Posted 9/5/2006 8:38 PM (#207984 - in reply to #207941)

Go to campmor.com or sierratradingpost.com and get a decent pair for way less than retail.
jim casteel
Posted 9/5/2006 10:37 PM (#208001 - in reply to #207941)

I use OAKLEYS and love them but they were a little pricy at $180 & $210. ( same price as a good rod) (same price as 5-7 lures) ( 1.5 tanks of gas in my truck) get my drift!!! someone esle mentioned they were worried about loosing an expensive pair!! believe me you wont let them outa your sight. :P
jim

Edited by jim casteel 9/5/2006 10:39 PM
ToddM
Posted 9/5/2006 10:42 PM (#208003 - in reply to #207941)

Paid 79 bucks for a new pair of costa del mar phantoms on ebay. I like the green mirror over amber lense alot.
Posted 9/5/2006 11:19 PM (#208005 - in reply to #207941)

You pay more for quality eyewear and this is what I just bought. Hopefully I dont lose them. I feel sick to my stomach, hopefully my face feels really sweet with these on it

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/71/21/90/i712190sq01.jpg
muskiefishman
Posted 9/5/2006 11:59 PM (#208007 - in reply to #207941)

DIFFERENT OPINION BEWARE....

I have found a pair that I absolutely love.....and they are only, gasp, $15 online. I loose, sit on, scratch up glasses too easy to invest a big chunch of change, so I'll take my Flying Fisherman RIO II with green mirror over amber lens anyday. They get scratched(which bothers the hell out of my eyes) and I buy new ones.

Cheapest place I've found them is Dauven's fishing hole(google it)....nice folks, and best prices.

My 2ยข

Josh
theedz155
Posted 9/6/2006 5:40 AM (#208011 - in reply to #207941)

After years of using cheap polarized glasses of one type or another, my wife was dead against me getting my "expensive" Maui Jims at $160. I was always losing or breaking the cheap ones when I had them. That was at least 5 years ago. I still have the original pair or rose colored ones and I bought an amber pair a year after the originals. Seems like you just take better care of the more expensive ones. Plus, when you add up the hours you wear these glasses and divide them into the price??? It's really not that expensive. I'd bet pennies per hour if that.

The glass lenses hold up thousands of times better. I have some scratches in them, the worst one coming from a piece of sand stuck in a towel when I was cleaning them. Still usable though, they just don't look the greatest anymore.

The biggest difference is you won't believe how good your eyes feel after wearing good, optically correct, glasses for hour upon hour. I was always getting headaches from squinting. Like Medic said, no more headaches. And no more squinting for me either ( I reccomend the anti glare on the back side of the lenses as well as the front if the company you prefer offers it). One of my pairs is used for work as well as fishing. That pair is back and forth between the boat and car constantly. The second pair is always in the boat.

I can personally tell you that there's no comparison between cheap and expensive glasses. One of the best investments I've made for fishing. Remember, your going to be wearing these for hours on end while you're on the water. It's not a five minute drive to work.

My last word is a question....
If you went to get your eyes checked and they told you that you needed glasses, would you go to WallyWorld and get the cheapest 8-10 dollar glasses you could find???
cphilli
Posted 9/6/2006 9:09 AM (#208040 - in reply to #207941)

I just got my Sierra Trading Post catalog. Lots of high end glasses at 50% of retail. Check it out.
NoFrills
Posted 9/6/2006 9:10 AM (#208041 - in reply to #207941)

I recently bought a pair on Booyah Shades. My old Panama Jacks are scratched, so new ones were in order. Both cost me $20 Canadian each, and both are AWESOME!
For $20 the Booyah's are great. I could see the bottom better than with any other shades I've tried. The lens color also brightens things up when it;s overcast/getting dark. Great deal if you ask me!
dannyboy
Posted 9/6/2006 10:00 AM (#208052 - in reply to #207941)

i recieved H30's from my wife for birthday 3 years ago.
i am very satisfied.
i did have a ear piece loosen at the screw. when i was at the alliance tourney in eagle river in august i asked them to tighten it. to my surprise they replaced the whole frame.
what more can a guy ask for.?????
i would nevr consider anything else.

dannyboy

www.dannyboysguideservice.com
muskyone
Posted 9/6/2006 11:56 AM (#208076 - in reply to #207949)

I wear prescription no line bifocals and I use the Fitovers brand on shades. They look dorky but have been better than great for fishing.

I have a Fever and the only cure is MORE COWBELL...........Don't Fear The Reaper

Edited by muskyone 9/6/2006 11:57 AM
lighting
Posted 9/6/2006 12:04 PM (#208079 - in reply to #207941)

TRY ebay and get yourself a sent of the Costa del MAR or ocean waves.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/6/2006 12:55 PM (#208087 - in reply to #207941)

I have the Costa Del Mars

and a story...

I went back and forth for about a month before I bought them. I never bought a pair of sunglasses in my LIFE that cost more than $10, I couldn't see spending $150, especially considering the shoe box of old/bent/broken sunglasses I had in my closet.

I did it anyway, and driving home all I could think about was how many hours I had to work to make that $150, how many pairs of $10 sunglasses I could have bought, how stupid I was for spending more money on a pair of sunglasses than I spent on everything else I had worn in the last week combined...

"Oh my GOD I just spend $150 on sunglasses, and not just that but sunglasses for FISHING..."

But you know what?

You only get one set of eyes. Being out with the sun reflecting off the water in your face all day is NOT a good way to protect them. Shatterproof glass lenses will protect your eyes from flying lures better than cheap lenses ever will.

Then I thought about all the money I spent on stupid #*#* like booze and cigarettes and $150 didn't seem like so much anymore...
kevin
Posted 9/6/2006 1:06 PM (#208090 - in reply to #207941)

couple people here mentioned Campmor and sierra trading post... checking both will find that each has a pair of Costas for around $69 down from well over $100... One has a pair available with Amber lenses, the other has the Vermilion lenses..Amber being better for alround use, vermillion better for sunny conditions.. The Greem Mirror that Todd mentions has a Amber base color to it just like the Popular Ocean Waves Backwater green,(backwater green is a green mirror with amber base)... Usually blue mirror polarixed is a Grey based lens... don't go cheap unless its a good brand on clearance

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?pro...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.aspx?baseno=76787&CN=Costa...

Edited by kevin 9/6/2006 1:17 PM
Magruter
Posted 9/6/2006 1:13 PM (#208092 - in reply to #207941)

Agree with Cphilli i've used sierretradingpost for some camping gear, good prices in there.

some polarized glasses from the site.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/13385_Polarized-Sunglasses.html

About every other month they have some GREAT sales on that site, free shipping plus 20 extra percent off, then $10 off that. I'll keep you posted if i see anything going on.
reelman
Posted 9/6/2006 7:16 PM (#208129 - in reply to #207941)

I didn't see any really great deals at either of these sites. The price is basically the same as they can be bought in local stores. Remember that all the Costa's listed on these sites have the CR39 lenses, not the glass lenses.