Lure belly color ?
THE FERD
Posted 9/5/2006 10:52 AM (#207902)
Subject: Lure belly color ?

I have noticed that there are many belly color options in trolling type baits such as Wileys , Terminators and ect. . Whats the big deal with it ? Yellow belly , white , orange even cream ? Most baitfish that I'm aware of have a white belly to blend in with the sky . Why not go all out and try a bait with a black belly to stand out much like the topwater bait theory that black is better becouse it gives a better outline ?

THE FERD
mikie
Posted 9/5/2006 12:35 PM (#207918 - in reply to #207902)
Subject: RE: Lure belly color ?

I guess when you are a fish, you are a target of many bigger fish and the object is to blend in with your surroundings, so many species have the color bellies you mention. When folks make lures, many try to imitate nature's colorings, so they do the same.

Treats showed me a trick: hold your bait up to the sky. If it blends in, maybe pick another one. I've actually seen a Muskie Treats bait that was black on the bottom and white on the top. m
Perfect Drift
Posted 9/5/2006 12:36 PM (#207919 - in reply to #207902)

This is one of those things that change every year for me.Right now its white belly for clear water and orange belly for dirty water.
Beav
Posted 9/5/2006 1:35 PM (#207929 - in reply to #207902)

From a painters point of view, and from my own file of things that I think that I know, I believe that whether it's top, bottom, or sides, contrast will be easier to see than any one color.
While black will show up best against a sky colored backlight, and since game fish have eyes located on or near the top of their heads so they can see upward while their prey cannot see down, black would be a seemingly good choice for of color for the bottom and or sides of lures. But I believe that just because it's visible, it doesn't mean that it's the best choice for every lure. I've caught fish on black lures, white lures and just about every color in between. But I don't think that any of those lures were a solid color.
Given my choice, I'll take a multi-colored lure with colors that contrast over a solid black lure. I've caught too many fish on natural-based color patterns with highlights of bright colors or golds and silvers for flash, depending on the color or condition of the water.
In fact I'll be painting a bunch of natural Cisco/Whitefish/Sucker lures for the PI outing as well as some naturals highlighted with gold, chartreuse, pink and orange. If anyone wants me to, I'll paint some solid black ones and you can do a test while you're up there.
Besides, painting all black lures would get very boring.
Pikiespawn
Posted 9/5/2006 6:08 PM (#207970 - in reply to #207902)

Very well said, my laddy...........
ToddM
Posted 9/5/2006 9:14 PM (#207987 - in reply to #207902)

I like a belly color that is a contrast to the rest of the lure. Belly roll is good and a flash of a contrating color is great. I love white belly firetiger baits, flash of white goes in any lake color.
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/5/2006 9:37 PM (#207992 - in reply to #207902)

My theory is, match your bait fish or contrast it. I try to match with some small amount of extra flash on my bellies. Most of my luck fishign has come with bait fish color schemes but I do like the look of the crazy lures and have also had luck with those, just not as much.

JMO,
James
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com

woodieb8
Posted 9/6/2006 6:19 AM (#208013 - in reply to #207902)

ON lake st clair the most color conscious lake there is. belly colors are very important. most guys troll hi in the water column thus belly colors exposed greatly. wh/belly. cream /b in clean waters . yellow.b and orange in sunset or dirtier waters.. baits with a wide roll pattern expose there bellies. we do over 100 colors in our selection for local anglers and on certain days if its not the pattern it becomes a no fish day. lake water colors are a huge factor in what to put down. with the intro of zebra mussels in the 80s natural patterns have become huge in gin clear waters here.
nxtcast
Posted 9/6/2006 7:16 AM (#208015 - in reply to #207902)

Woodie hit the nail on the head,

With the gin clear water the WB is best the muscles have cleaned the water up and changed the fishing.

The last hour or two of light we start with firetiger and OB baits.

When it getts turned up and windy the OB bait also work well.

Don't forget about those FROGS!
woodieb8
Posted 9/6/2006 1:55 PM (#208095 - in reply to #207902)

frogs oooh ya. when the waters that slime green,,, olive frog yellow belly. its a killer