OLD vs NEW Bulldawgs
darkwing1
Posted 8/31/2006 2:44 PM (#207452)
Subject: OLD vs NEW Bulldawgs

Are there any huge differences between the old and new Bulldawgs? My local sporting goods store has some of the old ones in walleye (different coloring than new walleye pattern, somewhat of a concave belly), and I was looking for some input on whether or not I should grab them.

Thanks,
Troyz.
Posted 8/31/2006 2:46 PM (#207454 - in reply to #207452)
Subject: RE: OLD vs NEW Bulldawgs

IF they are seven strand bodies I would buy them, if not buy them and I will pay you for them if they are 7 strand.

Troyz
darkwing1
Posted 8/31/2006 2:51 PM (#207455 - in reply to #207452)

I guess I'm a little ignorant, but how would I know if they are seven strand bodies?
esoxaddict
Posted 8/31/2006 3:17 PM (#207460 - in reply to #207452)

There have been several versions of the bulldawg...

The early models had a 7 strand core and were hand poured. (If you look at the hook hangers they are a 7 strand wire loop and not solid wire.)

A lot of people believe these were far superior to the current model. BUT: The 7 strand core had a tendency to fatigue over time and would sometimes break on a fish. Lots of people stopped using them for this reason. Musky innovations began using a solid wire core.

Somwhere along the line, demand got to the point where the molding process was talking way too much time, and they began using an injection molding process instead of the hand-poured molding process used before.

Some people believe the injection molded bulldawgs just aren't as lifelike and that the rubber is softer.

Recently, MI has gone back to making hand-poured bulldawgs. (Still using the solid wire core)

Personally I prefer the old, hand poured, 7 strand bulldawgs. But I don't want to leave half a bulldawg pinned in a fishes mouth, so I don't use them anymore.

Now that you're really confused...

The solid wire core bulldawgs have a tendency to bend when you're casting them. I don't like this, but I've learned to adjust my casting technique to prevent this from happening. (you have to lob them closer to the water and not let them smack the surface... I used to like to throw them in a pretty high arc because I felt that the sound of them smacking the water attracted the fish)

How to tell what kind of bulldawg you have:

1. If your bulldawg is the older 7 strand variety and it's a translucent color you can see through it and tell what kind it is. If not, look closely at the hook hangers.

2. If your bulldawg is injection molded, it will have a concave belly, and a flat tail

3. If your bulldawg is of the newer hand poured variety, it will have a flat belly, and there will be visible bubbles on the surface of the rubber on the belly. It will also have a tail that was cut out and not molded. At the base of the tail you will see a spot where the tail was actually cut from the body. The tip of the tail will not be flat, but it will be thicker than the rest of the tail.

4. If your bulldawg is of the older, hand poured variety, it will have the flat belly, with the bubbles, but it will have the flat tail instead of one that was cut from the body.

Some other things to note:

- Injection molded bulldawgs with a different color tail will have a seam between the body and the tail.

- Hand poured magnum bulldawgs are about 1oz heavier than injection molded bulldawgs

- You can "tune" a solid wire core bulldawg by bending the body upwards (makes it run shallow) or by bending it downwards (makes it run deeper)

- There is a definite difference in they type of rubber used in the various configurations of the bulldawg. If you don't believe me, smell them.

Now for the real question:

Does it make a difference to the fish?

In my opinion, NOT ONE BIT.

If (and this is a big IF) the action of the tail has anything at all to do with its appeal to the fish, I believe that the models with the tail cut from the body have a much better tail flutter.
lardonastick
Posted 8/31/2006 3:27 PM (#207463 - in reply to #207452)

Hahahaha! EA is trying to get people to smell their bulldawgs!

"hey, does your ice cream smell funny?" *SPLAT*

seriously, you can smell a difference?
Mike Hulbert
Posted 8/31/2006 3:36 PM (#207464 - in reply to #207452)

The concave bellies are not 7 strand. They are the old injected ones.

I would not buy or throw 7 strands as they break as I have seen this many times.

Get the new ones and you'll be fine.
Slamr
Posted 8/31/2006 3:40 PM (#207466 - in reply to #207452)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/08.31.2006/1026/Musky.Inno...
esoxaddict
Posted 8/31/2006 4:16 PM (#207468 - in reply to #207463)

I ain't joking man

They smell different...

You can laugh if 'ya want to, but the injection molded dawgs and the newer ones do NOT smell the same.

And all the other stuff?

I admit I am probably the only one who ever looked at them that closely, but it's true.
10" Woody
Posted 9/7/2006 6:22 PM (#208250 - in reply to #207452)

Most of my bulldawgs seen to have a white goo coming out by the split ring (line tie) what causes this, and does it make adifference to the fish?
Posted 9/7/2006 9:38 PM (#208278 - in reply to #207452)

the white goo is lead oxide from the weight. Do not lick, it's poison.
sputterbug
Posted 9/8/2006 10:06 AM (#208328 - in reply to #207452)

Oh man, thanks for the warning. I was just now going through my dawg inventory doing a taste test to see which ones the fish would prefer this weekend.
Posted 9/8/2006 10:23 AM (#208329 - in reply to #207452)

Sniffing & licking bulldawgs? And I thought I was bad.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/8/2006 12:42 PM (#208359 - in reply to #207452)

Hey now, I've never actually tasted one...

Well, ok, maybe just a little nibble off the tail

But I didn't eat it, I swear!!
MuskyHopeful
Posted 9/8/2006 2:39 PM (#208384 - in reply to #207452)

I've seen Bulldogs have brown stuff sliding out of one end, and white slimey stuff dripping out of the other. I don't advise smelling or tasting either one. If you're going to use one for bait, I suggest nylon rope for line, a chain leader, an adjustable leather snap with spikes, a tetherball poll rod, and a garden hose caddy reel. Expect only HUGE muskies to be interested.

Kevin

Packers 13-10.
Bytor
Posted 9/8/2006 2:51 PM (#208385 - in reply to #208384)

MuskyHopeful - 9/8/2006 2:39 PM

Packers 13-10.

Kevin you are very HOPEFUL....I HOPE you are right, but I don't see it happening.

Back to the Dawgs....EA all of that smelling of the plastic explains a lot of stuff. Lay off the Dawgs, man. An intervention may be in order.
darkwing1
Posted 9/8/2006 3:04 PM (#208387 - in reply to #207452)

I think Kevin's been sniffing too many of those old bulldawgs.....Packers 13-10?

If you were referring to this weeks game, then I would say the outcome will be a little more lopsided. Final score Da Bears - 153, Packers - 7 1/2. The 1/2 point was given to the Packers after the official scorekeeper finished off his care package from Brett Favre (ie, a six pack and 2 Vicadin).
esoxaddict
Posted 9/8/2006 3:18 PM (#208388 - in reply to #207452)

whaaaaat maaaaaan?

Now 'ya tell me! Next I suppose you're gonna tell me that those catfish bait nuggets aren't for when you run out of beef jerky, and that uncle Josh pork rind baits aren't the same thing as the ones that come in the cellophane bag at the gas station...

Just don't take away my garlic marshmallows!