Split rings
kdawg
Posted 8/28/2006 9:50 PM (#207008)
Subject: Split rings

Lately, I'm finding myself adding split rings to all my baits where I have to use the fishing rod to impart the action. Glide baits, walk the dog surface baits,and twitching minnow baits are the lure types that add the rings to. I believe it does increase the lures action. I'm just surprised that lure manufacturers don't add the split rings themselves. Anybody else adding rings to their lures?
kevin
Posted 8/28/2006 11:17 PM (#207023 - in reply to #207008)
Subject: RE: Split rings

Some people feel that adding split rings to the line tie negatively affects the action, thus why some manufactures do not do it... I would feel its a trial and error kind of thing.. if you feel it helps you add one, if you feel it does not help leave it without...
Kazmuskie
Posted 8/29/2006 11:30 AM (#207091 - in reply to #207008)

I'm a big fan of the split ring on the nose of baits. I figure using a split ring won't hurt the action of a lure any more then using a snap would. As an added bonus, the split ring has a near zero chance of opening with a fish on like snaps could. Lose the snaps on your leaders and put a split ring on every lure. It takes a few extra seconds to change lures, but it's worth it for the added insurance. You won't be sorry.
THROWINWOOD
Posted 8/29/2006 9:20 PM (#207180 - in reply to #207008)

I 2nd that KAZMUSKY ,split ring on every bait cut off the snap and add one to the leader . With a good set of split ring pliers changing baits is pretty fast and ZERO chance for it to open up when you hook the big dog.

Dave

Edited by THROWINWOOD 8/29/2006 9:21 PM
NoFrills
Posted 8/30/2006 8:59 AM (#207231 - in reply to #207008)

Interesting.
I just recently watched Bucher's Slopmaster muskies dvd...he recommends not using a leader on these baits, so, I removed my leader and added a splitring...now I find the bait doesn't come in right...it's tilted one way or the other. I have checked, and the bait is straight and true...maybe I'll need to adjust it one way or another
MikeHulbert
Posted 8/30/2006 9:35 AM (#207241 - in reply to #207008)

Put a split ring on every bait.
Kazmuskie
Posted 8/30/2006 9:52 AM (#207246 - in reply to #207231)

Joe is a great fisherman, but I disagree with his "No leader on a spinnerbait" theory. I will say that it may be true that his slopmasters have a slightly better action without leaders, but for me it's not worth the risk of killing that one fish that inhales that little spinnerbait and cuts the line. If the line gets cut, then what? Dead Muskie and it'll take a good sized one to inhale a spinnerbait, so it's more like: Dead, Large Muskie. I've had several fish strike at a slopmaster with a leader, so I don't think it makes that much difference. It just isn't worth the risk of killing a fish for me. Not to change the subject, but you might want to look into some other spinnerbait options. Raddogs and CJ"s, for example, work well with leaders and split rings for me. And they provide a larger profile with a trailer hook. The last spinnerbait fish I had strike hit a CJ's and got hooked by the trailer hook. Before that I've had two hit a slopmaster and miss. Slopmasters have no trailer hook, and they aren't very good in slop IMO with an added on trailer hook, so I quit using them. But for the fish's sake everyone should use a leader of at least 80# break strength with ALL baits, even if Joe says it's OK to go without one. Split rings add that little bit of extra security, and the #7 Bucher split rings happen to be the ones I like best. Just my 3 cents.
NoFrills
Posted 8/30/2006 10:21 AM (#207252 - in reply to #207246)

Kazmuskie - 8/29/2006 11:52 PM

Joe is a great fisherman, but I disagree with his "No leader on a spinnerbait" theory. I will say that it may be true that his slopmasters have a slightly better action without leaders, but for me it's not worth the risk of killing that one fish that inhales that little spinnerbait and cuts the line. If the line gets cut, then what? Dead Muskie and it'll take a good sized one to inhale a spinnerbait, so it's more like: Dead, Large Muskie. I've had several fish strike at a slopmaster with a leader, so I don't think it makes that much difference. It just isn't worth the risk of killing a fish for me. Not to change the subject, but you might want to look into some other spinnerbait options. Raddogs and CJ"s, for example, work well with leaders and split rings for me. And they provide a larger profile with a trailer hook. The last spinnerbait fish I had strike hit a CJ's and got hooked by the trailer hook. Before that I've had two hit a slopmaster and miss. Slopmasters have no trailer hook, and they aren't very good in slop IMO with an added on trailer hook, so I quit using them. But for the fish's sake everyone should use a leader of at least 80# break strength with ALL baits, even if Joe says it's OK to go without one. Split rings add that little bit of extra security, and the #7 Bucher split rings happen to be the ones I like best. Just my 3 cents.

I agree with you 100%. The lake I fish the most is EXTREMELY weedy, and getting spinnerbaits with leaders through the weeds is very difficult at best. I thought that without the leader is would make it easier, which it did. I have allready added the leader back, and won't be throwing it again without one.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/8/2006 7:38 PM (#208407 - in reply to #207008)

Try a leader without a swivel and just a small(#5) split ring attached. A stiffer leader will keep the lure coming in straighter too. Make sure there are no little tag ends where the twists of the leader are, and it will/should come in as easily as if it were tied direct. Snaps catch alot of weeds, and swivels allow the lure to turn easier, catching weeds. The other thing I did when adding a second hook to my Slopmasters, was using surgical tubing to keep the hook tight, not allowing it to turn at all. Though it was not as weedless as without the trailer hook, it is better than is was without the stiffener. Using the smaller split rings seemed to help to for some reason, though they need to be changed more often than the #7's do. That said, man the weeds are horrific this year in many areas and the best I've ever seen them in others. I've been frogging around with buzzbaits, johnson monnow type lures, and other weedless cococtions more in 2006 than ever before. Anyone care to share their favorite weedless presentation? Anyone try the frogzilla type lures?