"search" baits
Curious George
Posted 8/28/2006 8:36 PM (#206995)
Subject: "search" baits

If you are having a tough day and just want to at least see some fish follow, what is your lure of choice. Surely something you can cover a lot of water with? I would say a walk the dog bait moved along quickly gets my vote. Thanks for any help.
Rockin' SV
Posted 8/28/2006 8:49 PM (#206997 - in reply to #206995)
Subject: RE: "search" baits

Depends on what part of the water column I think they're in. Some favorites of mine are Shallow Raider for mid-depth, Sinking Rapala and jointed Depthraider for deeper fish. Pacemakers, Hoosier Handmade Shad topwater and Ghosttails are my favorite search baits for shallow fish.
Reelwise
Posted 8/28/2006 9:23 PM (#207002 - in reply to #206995)

When I at least want to see something...

Shallow water - Mepps Maribou Blk/Chart. or Blk/Silver
Deep water - Bulldawg or again Mepps Maribou (no matter how deep it is)
ToddM
Posted 8/28/2006 9:52 PM (#207009 - in reply to #206995)

TR twitcher and rip the crap out of it. Rip it like you would rip your kid from micheal jackson's lap!
sorenson
Posted 8/28/2006 10:20 PM (#207016 - in reply to #207009)

ToddM - 8/28/2006 8:52 PM

TR twitcher and rip the crap out of it. Rip it like you would rip your kid from micheal jackson's lap!

Can't get much more descriptive than that! Thanks Todd!
S>
sworrall
Posted 8/28/2006 10:56 PM (#207020 - in reply to #207016)

Undertaker and Wabull. Make the bait dance, pop it up to the top, walk it back and forth, and at the boat make it slide down about 5' or so. I move fish doing that when nothing else seems to be working.
MikeHulbert
Posted 8/29/2006 5:45 AM (#207033 - in reply to #206995)

Shallow Search Baits:

Pacemaker, Shallow Mag Dawg, Turmoil, Beer Belly, Llungen Tails, XX, Double Cow Girls,

Deep Water Search Baits:

Mag Dawgs, Mag Dawgs, Mag Dawgs

Edited by MikeHulbert 8/29/2006 8:28 AM
Dunlap
Posted 8/29/2006 5:54 AM (#207034 - in reply to #206995)

Curious G
I think you hit the nail on the head. There is just something about that back and forth "walk the dog" motion that makes muskies show themselves off.
A 6" Phantom glider is my # 1 lure of choice when I am pre-fishing a tournament.
NOTHING else is better than that ....

jlong
Posted 8/29/2006 6:42 AM (#207036 - in reply to #207034)

Isn't the whole point of a "search bait" simply to cover a lot of water quickly and efficiently? Moreso than to just get a fish to show itself?

I guess I look at the concept of "searching" for fish is to find ACTIVE fish willing to engage an "easy" lure. Slowing down and finessing a follow from an otherwise IN-ACTIVE fish just doesn't seem like a "search" technique for me.

My favorite search baits are Long Tale Spinnerbaits and Mepps Marabou bucktails. If these baits "locate" a fish for me... then I can consider going back on them with something "erratic" or less efficient at covering water in an effort to convert a looker into an eater.

Are you guys going to Gliders working them real fast.... just to get fish to show themselves???? If so.... what do you go back on those fish with... in an effort to get them to eat?

jlong
nwild
Posted 8/29/2006 8:17 AM (#207045 - in reply to #206995)

What J said.

If I am searching for fish I am generally covering water quite quickly. Mepps Marabous maybe, Mepps Musky Killer for sure, spinnerbaits when the weeds dictate.
esox50
Posted 8/29/2006 8:23 AM (#207047 - in reply to #206995)

Shallow: Grim Reaper spinnerbait or a Shallow Invader worked like CRAZY

Deep: Shallow Invader again but maybe tone down the retrieve, Slammer Deep Diver, Mag Bulldawg

J,

I worked gliders a few times on LOTW just to try and get fish to show themselves, especially on tough days. Erraticly worked cranks (Shallow Invaders... mmm mmm, love em) and bucktails got fish either in the boat or to hit.

Edited by esox50 8/29/2006 8:26 AM
bn
Posted 8/29/2006 8:28 AM (#207048 - in reply to #206995)

you can cover alot of water with a jackpot worked fast...as well as a stupid glider worked fast...something about side to side fish like to show themselves on ...at least for me....fast moving bucktails and spinnerbaits work too...but if I'm simply looking to see a fish as the original post dictated I go with something side to side...Or maybe a bulldawg....

jonnysled
Posted 8/29/2006 8:29 AM (#207050 - in reply to #206995)

aren't those all secrets? LMAO
nwild
Posted 8/29/2006 8:35 AM (#207051 - in reply to #207050)

I am not sure but I think there is a lot of confusion between "search" baits, and baits that will get inactive fish to show. I gave my list of "search" baits. These are the baits I will throw when I expect muskies to be active and I am trying to search them out.

If you are looking for inactive fish, then I slow things down and try to tantalize them. Some of my best coldfront baits are Shallow Bulldawgs and the X Glide by H20. After using Beaver's Perkette for a little bit that bait is also climbing the list rapidly.
Shep
Posted 8/29/2006 8:39 AM (#207052 - in reply to #207047)

I'm with JLo on this one. Searching to me is lots of casts, and quick retrieves, covering lots of water, looking for that active fish. Hopefully it hits, but if not, at least shows itself, so I can throw back, or come back later.

Bucktails(I Like BooTails and Ghost Tails), and Spinnerbaits( I Like Violent Strikes and Rad Dogs) are easy to work fast for long periods.

I wouldn't consider a magnum Bulldawg, a Wabull, or an Undertaker a search bait. Can't work the fast enough to cover enough water, and wouldn't want to work them that fast, anyway. Same with Suicks, Weagles, Top Raiders, Deep diving Cranks. Maybe a Globe style TW can be worked faster to cover lots of water.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but it's way too much work to toss those big heavy baits, and work the heck out of them, all day long, when you're just looking for fish to show themselves. I like those baits when I have a specific area I intend to pick apart.
BALDY
Posted 8/29/2006 8:42 AM (#207053 - in reply to #207052)

Shep, you can easily cover enough water with a Mag Dawg to consider it a search bait. It ain't easy though.

I like the bucktails (Double X, Llungen Inline, Mepps), the Long Shot (wow you can smoke that thing), Dawgs, and the Pacemaker for searching.
sworrall
Posted 8/29/2006 8:47 AM (#207054 - in reply to #207050)

I'll be more specific:
The question was what I personally do if I'm having a tough day and am not seeing fish. To me that means the bucktails, spinnerbaits, and topwaters so far are not moving fish for me. If I am on Pelican, the Goon, George, Crescent, or other waters I know pretty well, I am CERTAIN those lures are contacting muskies, but I'm not getting the reaction I am hoping for, or even a stupid follow.

The Wabull really shines under those conditions for me. I don't work it slow, I work it actually what would be considered very fast for a glider. I can cover a considerable amount of water quickly, because I can take longer casts due to the weight of the lure. I do pretty well on that lure when things are tough, and even better when things are not.

If I locate a good fish that doesn't try to take the Wabull, to answer Mr. Long's question, I will leave her, come back when I think she's going to be more active, and try to get her to eat a bucktail, Top Raider, Weagle, etc.

On the other hand if things are tough, I might just toss a Creature all day. If I move a fish on a Creature, most times it's in the net.
Shep
Posted 8/29/2006 8:56 AM (#207056 - in reply to #207054)

Baldy,

But I like "easy"! hehehe I'm not a big dawg fan, probably a confidence thing. I just don't throw them enough.

For that matter, I don't throw anything as much as I probably should this year!
seaman
Posted 8/29/2006 10:02 AM (#207069 - in reply to #206995)

On days where I'm not seeing anything I have found some success using a 6" reef hawg or undertaker. Last year we had an amazing day using Bucher's Dancin' Raiders after casting everything else for about 8 hours and not seeing a thing. My biggest problem is overthinking on tough days, I think the best thing to do is pick a bait that you are confident with and is easy to work and simply keep it wet. When things get really tough you can think of all the crud going on around the world and just feel blessed that you're on the lake at all, that's what I do anyways.
jlong
Posted 8/29/2006 10:29 AM (#207076 - in reply to #207069)

Well... I guess I got confused between the title of the post being "Search Baits"... which in my opinion suggests the idea of "covering lots of water looking for active fish" rather than "slowing down and finessing a response from less aggressive fish".

Working a lure in an erratic nature is still a slow process for me.... especially since it usually incorporates some lengthy pauses. Sure... the lure itself may move quickly... but the time element from start to finish of single cast is much longer than with what I consider to be an efficient search bait (straight retrieve stuff with a moderate to fast retrieve speed).

Searching to me implies you are basically trying to identify fish LOCATION.... and ideally a fish that is not picky about your presentation.

Finessing to me implies you know their location but are trying to elicit a response from the fish.... via a funky presentation that in many cases is not a very efficient lure for covering water. Any lure with a pause is not very efficient.... in my opionion...... for searching, but is awesome for finessing.
sworrall
Posted 8/29/2006 10:49 AM (#207080 - in reply to #207076)

There is no 'pause' in the described method I use for the Wabull and Undertaker.
Ranger
Posted 8/29/2006 11:12 PM (#207192 - in reply to #206995)

I'll just throw this out there....

Perhaps, as time passes and we all become more educated about this stuff, we'll decide that "search baits" is a misconception from the beginning. Maybe throwing fast baits to simply locate fish is a waste of time. If you know the structure and the conditions, you should simply throw and work the bait that you feel is best for that spot at that time. If that bait/presentation doesn't move fish as you work the spots on spots, start over on those spots and try another presentation.

A point to support my point, based on many hours of careful observation...., as an intro, I'm talking about fishing in a very small, very difficult to access, chock full of fish, UP lake. Ultra clear. That's where I observed this...

First, I could very easily see many fish in shallower water, tons of bass, some of which were big, and some muskies, almost all in the upper 30"s. All holding among the many rocks and tons of timber. (Yes, Lake X, for those of you who I took there.) These fish I could see in the shallower water, mostly in the early morn with flat water. But I could see them very well. Check this out......

Second, if the bass didn't chase the bait then neither would the muskies. Every time, without exception. As fish didn't move, I would downsize to reach, eventually, Mepps Muskie Killers. If the all pink didn't work, then it was black and black. Now, and this is a critical observation: somedays the fish would only chase the Killers with the yellow spots, and some days the fish would only chase the Killers with the green spots. Always black and black (hair/spoon), no other color combo, including natural colors (natural/silver), worked. Green spots on the black blade, or yellow spots. When it worked, I caught thirty bass and one or two muskies. But I hardly moved a fish until I found that correct combo of size, speed and color. The bass told me what was working.

So, I suspect, that you guys who cover tons of water throwing fast baits are often just wasting your time. Better to hit the spots on spots (based on structure and other environmental conditions) with a variety of presentations until you determine what's moving fish.

Just a thought.

Edited by Ranger 8/29/2006 11:21 PM
sworrall
Posted 8/29/2006 11:21 PM (#207193 - in reply to #207192)

Ranger, that is exactly what I was talking about.
Ranger
Posted 8/29/2006 11:23 PM (#207194 - in reply to #206995)

I'm such a killer muskie dude.

Edited by Ranger 8/30/2006 1:26 AM
jlong
Posted 8/30/2006 6:53 AM (#207213 - in reply to #206995)

Ranger... your approach is what Musky Hunter calls a PROGRESSION. Good concept. The "game" per say is to catch fish with the most efficient... meaning FAST.... method to increase your total opportunity.

If you start with a finesse bait and in one hour caught 1 fish..... perhaps you could have caught 3 fish using a "search bait". The MH concept thus suggests it is always best to start fast and progress towards a slow presentation.

The "gray" area for me is when we discuss efficiency. Some lures are efficient at "raking the water" but don't have a lot of strike triggering character... other than speed itself. Some lures are less efficient at "raking the water" but are far more efficient at eliciting a response from the fish... especially neutral or negative fish... covering the entire spectrum of the musky population in that lake.

So... the game then becomes.... do you want to EFFICIENTLY "rake the water" looking for the few HOT fish willing to play today.... or do you invest more time on fewer high percentage spots and use a presentation that potentially will elicit a response from almost ANY fish, regardless of its "mood".

I guess lately I have been choosing to look for the few "easy" HOT fish and if that is becoming a futile effort I'll "progress" towards more of a finesse type offering. Gliders are a finesse lure for me.... since I gotta give 'em a pause.

Worrall or others.... can you please explain what you feel the benefit/advantage "fast hopping" a glider has vs. what I consider to be more traditional "search baits" such as bucktails and tail rotator topwaters? Are gliders truly a viable option for a Run&Gun approach... especially considering hooking percentage???

jlong
sworrall
Posted 8/30/2006 8:44 AM (#207229 - in reply to #207213)

I don't think there is an advantage using a fast retrieved glider over a bucktail or staight retrieve topwater as a search bait looking for active fish. I use the Wabull as a targeted, focused presentation under several different conditions, but the scenario we're looking at here is what lure to use whan the traditional search lures are not getting it done. This type of presentation elicits more follows and confirms fish locations and sizes for me when I'm not seeing them on other lures, and sometimes I get the only hit all day popping a glider along. I have no idea why. I'm guessing it's the big lure moving fast but very erratically and making a heck of a disturbance, but it may be something else entirely.

Some days I will throw the Wabull ALL day, working my fanny off ( working it the way I do is pretty tiring on the wrists and arms) while others in the boat are throwing other lures; and the vast majority of the muskies following are on the glider. AM I placing my casts better and seeing more because of that? No, I don't think so.

There ARE conditions where I want the Wabull on ACTIVE fish too, but that's a different story. It's then the Perkette shines as well.

I've found the Wabull hooking percentages to be exceptional: when a good fish eats a Wabull, I usually get her in the Frabill.
jlong
Posted 8/30/2006 8:50 AM (#207230 - in reply to #206995)

Thanks Steve. I love the Wabull too... but rarely kick it up a notch as you describe. Just gotta give it a few good pauses. Its a personal issue (heh heh). I'll have to experiment with your suggestions. Thanks.
dogboy
Posted 8/30/2006 9:03 AM (#207233 - in reply to #206995)

Man, what a mess! yes, gliders are good at pulling fish out of areas, but, usually, if that fish isnt focused on eating, its a swing and a miss, usually a curse word to follow. I havent ever seen bucktails move fish on those days when fish just arent responding to anything, trying to cover water fast on high pressure bluebird day isnt what I consider efficient unless youre trying to see how many times you can wash the bait.
I guess there is a no win situation here, if you want to see atleast a follow that may just make your time worth it out there, go for something that is erratic, glider, DDD for sure, or something that is in their face like a J-mac jig in the thickest slop you can find. You'll route some fish out if you slow down and work good areas that you know hold fish. And chances are, you may get those fish to hit. curiosity killed the cat.
but if you want to fish fast and cover lots of water hoping for a hot fish, go with tailspinning topwater or cranking a minnowbait in fast with some pauses, but, expect your results to be less on those really tough days.
You really have to weigh your options of moving fast with good hookers or moving slow with bad hookers. If action is what you want, you need to spend some time trying to trigger instead of covering water. Just my 2 cents, I know some getter done no matter what, but if you dont know, go slow.
sworrall
Posted 8/30/2006 9:22 AM (#207236 - in reply to #207233)

I have what should be an obvious question:

The Weagle is known to have a very positive hook up percentage.
It is exactly the same dimensions as a Wabull.
The Wabull should be much easier for a muskie to target, even when popping it along.
So why would the Wabull have a poor hook up percentage? I have found it to be excellent.
dogboy
Posted 8/30/2006 9:34 AM (#207240 - in reply to #206995)

Steve:
not saying the wabull is poor hooking, just most gliders are, especially smaller more erratic ones, the problem I have with gliders is that when you slow them down, giving them pauses, and then move the bait, which is when the fish shows up and misses or only gets one hook in them and it ends up a spoiled fish. A wabull is a bigger bait, girth wise thus making it an easier target. you may be fishing a better strain of fish than I I like gliders, just find its like a 1 in 4 goes in the frabill.
I fished sabaskong bay recently, and lost 15 fish in 3 days before I finally put one in the net, and that wasnt until I switched to some topwater and bucktails\spinnerbaits. so, yes, I have a back outlook on the glider, so do most folks. but they do show you fish. so, use them, which is what I said previously, cause they will show you fish, which is the point of this thread.

Edited by dogboy 8/30/2006 9:35 AM
djwilliams
Posted 8/30/2006 10:56 PM (#207354 - in reply to #206995)

Here is my boat control first way of putting this. If I am drifting/blowing into a what I think is a likely fish holding area, I am prerigged with at least 2 fast baits and one twitch bait. I'm trying to get in as many casts as possible before I have to start the motor/ trolling motor and possibly "spook" the area for a second pass.
Two weeks ago I was quickly drifting just off a long bullrush bed between two close islands. The urge to cast to more spots faster makes me put down my favorite bait, a twitched 7 inch slammer, in favor of a bucktail or bulldawg. I guess what I am trying to say is that as my window of quality time on a quality looking spot is limited because of wind, I am going for quantity of casts in the hope of finding an active fish versus more time consuming "higher quality/higher confidence" casts.
Do I get in 30 casts to blanket the area, or 6 high confidence very methodical casts. Hope this makes sense, cause this is usually in the forefront of my thinking out on the water.
Don
Ranger
Posted 8/31/2006 1:04 AM (#207360 - in reply to #206995)

Hmmm...

many thanks for Jlo's comments.

in response to the last question, which is a synopsis of many of the issues; use your motor to hold you in place and throw the right bait at that time. Don't allow the wind to control your selection. I use a 55# electric transome on my light 14' boat, and I use that beeatch such that sometimes I have waves sloshing over the transome. I always fish the wind-blown-structue. I stay in place as I hit the spots. Spooky waves, sometimes, but I know how to ride the ups and downs and the sidewayses. Ride it out and you'll move LOTS more fish. Still, I don't just blast casts to cover the water. Sometimes I'm rockin/rollin' while I slowly move a suick just on top of the weeds.
dogboy
Posted 8/31/2006 6:09 AM (#207370 - in reply to #206995)

right on ranger, boat control is a huge key to working areas thoroughly, wind shouldnt dictate what bait to throw. well, not all the time anyway. But now this is getting way off the topic and prolly going to start a whole new thread.
jlong
Posted 8/31/2006 6:44 AM (#207373 - in reply to #207370)

Steve... I've have great hook-up percentages with the Wabull as well.... but I fish the bait with pauses. 90% of the strikes I get are during the pause. Front hook... corner of the mouth... almost every time. Nice!

What I am trying to understand here is when/why people fish gliders at mach 10.... as a "search bait". I see many lure manufacturers do this at pool demos too. They just keep hip hopping the lure... never letting it come to a stop... and have the bait flying all over the place. My experience when fishing in this manner is that the fish will chase but never commit to a strike.... or if they do strike... they flat out miss... or you barely get a piece of them with the rear hook. Not a situation I prefer... so I don't do it. But... obviously many people are utilizing that tactic with success.... so I'm trying to learn whether its something I shouldn't be ignoring.

As for boat position and all that jazz.... its ALWAYS important and not just pertinant to "fishing Glide Baits as a Search Bait"... which is what I thought this post was about.
Troyz.
Posted 8/31/2006 7:26 AM (#207376 - in reply to #206995)

I love using glide baits for search bait, especially under tough conditions, I prefer the extreme phantom(something about rubber tails), something that I can hop along fast then pause and pick up the pace again, this has been an excellent bait. You can move it fast and have partner work a more traditional search bait such as a bucktail, topwater, or spinnerbait(like a long tail). To me the key is being able to have it stop and hang and being able to track when you start moving again some glider just won't track. If a fish comes up, I like being able to make the bait work in place, then move forward like it is escaping the fish. I think the erractic action of glide baits trigger fish on someday more that the tradition search baits, especially under blue bird days. Also love the dawgs straight retrieved with twitches, to locate fish, then going back on them once located, they always seem to move fish.

Troyz
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/31/2006 8:51 AM (#207395 - in reply to #206995)

Like Troy saird, the glider at a notch up in speed, can be a great trigger with those pauses tossed in. I used to throw big Reef Hawgs through alot of the summer to a fault. Though they come out at spot duty now for the most part in place of other higher % speed confidence lures, there are still days that quick hopping that Reef Hawg, or a Nitro can really move fish where the other search stuff does not. While I cannot move the Nitro or Reef Hawg as quickly as I can a Tapdancer, Topraider, or GP Thumper Spinnerbait, they do move fish that I can quite often come back to later on and catch. I too wonder about the pool demo guys that never pause. Do they really work the lure like that in the lake, or is that just to get alot of casts in at the pool? I too can't remember the last hit I had on a glider that came just hopping it along without some sort of pause, even if a short one. Learning to be able to shorten up my pauses(placing them at the best times of the retreive), and learning to be able to keep the lure moving during the pause, has really helped me get more casts in when using a glider for searching. Keeping the lure moving on the pause is easier with a cigar type glider than a flat sided, as the reefer or jerko type lures will keep sliding through the water on the right type of pause, keeping the lure moving along and allowing more casts to be taken while giving the fish the illusion of a stopped or paused piece of meat.

Did anyone mention jigs as an alternative search lure? The jig and rubber plastic team has become a great combo over the past few years for many, when used in the same situation as a bucktail or tailbait. I have only had limited success doing it, and only in the fall. anyone here do it often and care to share any secrets about its practice? I know burned Dawgs and Joes can be a good searcher too.... Anyone?
sworrall
Posted 8/31/2006 9:28 AM (#207402 - in reply to #207395)

I have at least a dozen reasonably recent fish from 46" to 50" on gliders moving them with no pause at all until I get right next to the boat. A spinnerbait incorporates no pauses. A bucktail incorporates no pauses. A topwater....you get the idea. The 'trick' in eliciting strikes instead of follows is to run the lure in a very tight pattern, not allowing wide swings side to side, and alternating up/down. I use a Wabull over heavy cover walking it across the top surface/subsurface, when it gets to the edge, pop it down and back up, then go back to side/side three, up/down two, and at the boat, pop down and just watch her until she runs out of line, then pop it up up...look... and cast again. My only complaint is losing fish on head shakes when the lure is pinned up rear hook only; there's alot of weight in that glider body swinging back and forth violently, and I've lost a few that way.

Jigs? Sure. I use them all year and have since the late 60's.
bn
Posted 8/31/2006 9:34 AM (#207403 - in reply to #206995)

I agree with SWorrall on this one..I have caught fish and moved alot of fish, granted not very often, on days when they wouldnt show or eat anything else on a very fast moved Hellhound...no pauses.....and I mean fast...

JS, yes Joes and Dawgs can be great search baits too...Joes can be worked very fast and kept high over structure...
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/31/2006 10:13 AM (#207410 - in reply to #206995)

Looking at some photos since my last post to refresh memory, alot of Muskies do come when the bait is working quite quickly, but they are still gliders, and there is some sort of inherant pause when using them, no matter what or we'd be reeling them straight in. I think the length of pause or time between taps is really the hangup for alot of folks, and really, one needs to be albe to incorporate several types and lengths..right? My pauses might be what you guys consider moving the lure along without any pause at all I guess. The next guy might consider a pause, allowing the lure to come to a stop(which I do in cold water or on certain followers, but rarely on a normal retreice). I prefer the cigar type glider(hawgs, jerkos etc) because I can get the same type of glide that a flat sided job can get, but still get the up down pop as well. My pauses, though very very short(bait still moving, but just a bit 'off' cadence) are still ultra important most of the time, so important that I wouldn't even think of running it without one mixed in. I'll still bring the lure to the boat as quickly as my partner moving a spinner, but will change up the style of the cadence, which is where the slight pause comes in. Good point about keeping the thing in a tight pattern. I notice that when the fish want em' fast, that the 6" Hawg often shines over the 8", as does the Jerko, as these lures have less swing and work a bit more tightly related to the centerline of the retreive. So, you guys get alot of hits on your gliders in mid pull? I know I get a few, but still, most do hit when I am picking up the slack to make the next tap..

Also, I 'fluff' the spinnerbait or bucktail on each and every retrieve. This is something I learned from one of the best some years ago(Charlie Schauer). this is a pause of sorts, or at least creates the illusion of one, as does the rod pump while trolling. The 'fluff' is another thing that can;t even be seen by my partners when I'm doing it, but is definately noticable by the fish, judging by response timing.

Do you burn your jigs Steve? I know you have been using jigs since Moses wore short pants(no dig on your age of course...lol) with great success, but I don't think alot has been said about using them in the exact manner a bucktail or spinnerbait is used, with no jigging at all, save for a slight dip or mini pause in the middle or end of the retreive(Doug Stange style...).

bn, still trying to klearn all of the ins and outs of the big swimmers like dawgs and joeys. So far, just been sticking to my confidence mags, jerked fairly deep. I have just ordered a couple shaller dawgs for this fall on the river. You hear of people burning the shaller ones in situations where one would bulge a 'tail in shallow weeds or in the 'no mans land' areas in between structural elements?

Edited by Reef Hawg 8/31/2006 10:33 AM
dogboy
Posted 9/1/2006 8:39 AM (#207514 - in reply to #206995)

Hey reef hawg, I have followed stange's J-mac thing for a while, pretty much use the J-mac exclusively till I master it, but, I have luck not "buring it in" but a steady retrieve, fast enough to keep it from sinking, but slow enough to keep it down into tops of weeds and structure, I incorporate the pause, or kill the bait for a second, and commence reeling using a little pumping of the wrists while reeling, I have found this works better than the jigging\hopping action, but, I get more fish to bite the tails off these baits than I can shake a stick at. it never fails to have one follow behind, you do a quick pause, and continue reeling, and they overtake it, but usually swim off with 4inches of tail in their mouth, have been working on a way to rig a weedless stinger for that. If I have a tough day, I will usually be rooting a fish out of thick cover with this bait.
Ranger
Posted 9/1/2006 2:49 PM (#207579 - in reply to #206995)

Ok, getting back to a focus on the glider, and I recognize I'm chatting here with folks who know lots more than me, I almost always use pauses with a glider. I'm a big believer in letting a follow run into the bait. This includes bucktails, Steve, particularly Hirsches Ghosttailes that will dive with blad slowly turning with slack.

Now I have to let the posts above sink in, most of these guys catch lots more fish than me and listening to them is how I get better.

I will offer another observation...once I fished with a guy who had just read an article about speed-retrieving jig-creatures back to the boat. He threw a jighead thru a rubber fish body, a flaptail, about 6" long. After 5 hours he had one follow that I saw. (He didn't figure-8 and was color blind and didn't wear polor shades so he couldn't see sheeet.) He was helping me in a match so I was pretty serious about watching both his and my baits for follows. The mid-30's fish was screaming along just behind his bait and he was into his next cast as I pointed out he pulled the bait away from a fish. By the time we were done I concluded he wasted a lot of time and water doing his thing. I boated a nice fish in hour #2 of my 18 hours that day and moved into the final against....Lambeau.
sworrall
Posted 9/2/2006 12:26 AM (#207639 - in reply to #207579)

I timed my retrieve against a spinnerbait today, TommyV ripping a Violent strike as fast as he can against my Wabull. I was nearly dead even, cast for cast. Slamr got a 43 and Tommy lost a mid thirties on the spinnerbaits, I moved two on the Wabull.
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/2/2006 9:28 AM (#207651 - in reply to #206995)

Burn the bucktail or spinnerbait!

JMO
James
sworrall
Posted 9/2/2006 10:36 PM (#207684 - in reply to #207651)

The question was what to do when burning a bucktail or spinnerbait was not working.