Running out of Icons/Waypoints on your Unit???
Esox1850
Posted 8/17/2006 3:51 PM (#205455)
Subject: Running out of Icons/Waypoints on your Unit???

Anyone run out of Icons on your GPS systems? Been running my new units (LCX17M, LCX20C) since the beginning of the year and I just ran out of Icons. I hit the 100 Icon max cause when I erase 1 icon, I can mark another, erase 2, mark another 2. Never run out before and it's a little frustrating. Called Lowrance about saving all data to a SD and then every time I reach 1000, save all to a new disk but he said this won't work due to the fact you have to download all SD card info before use. Anyone tech savvy have any ideas or run into this problem before??
Thanks
Muskie Treats
Posted 8/17/2006 4:54 PM (#205464 - in reply to #205455)
Subject: RE: Running out of Icons/Waypoints on your Unit???

I know it's probably too late for this, but you can save all your icons for a lake under a specific file on your MMC card. You can have many files on an MMC card. Then when you go to another lake, erase everything on the unit and load again from your MMC card for the new lake. It's a pain in the butt, but that's the only thing I can think of.
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/17/2006 8:40 PM (#205480 - in reply to #205455)
Subject: RE: Running out of Icons/Waypoints on your Unit???

Muskietreats hit it on the head, that is the only way. I use the icons to mark the break line in some lakes for trolling and can basically use up all the icons in the process on just one lake. My answer to the problem was to drop them on the MMC card, label, date, then back them up on the computer in case something happens to the MMC chip. When I return to the lake I erase all icons and load the icons from the MMC chip. If you use a different style icons (turkey tracks, ect) on different lakes it helps to better keep track of things.

To solve your current problem Esox1850 you need to copy all your icons on an MMC chip and then delete lake X and Y icons from your unit. This will leave only lake Z on your unit, make a separate copy of lake Z... you now have an MMC chip with only lake Z's icons on it. NOw reload all your original icons back on your unit and delete lake Z and Y and make a copy of lake X only...

I'm sure you get the idea now and can see why it's useful to use different icons for different lakes. BTW, when you push the icon button once it automatically saves those coordinates so you can take your time choosing which icon you want to save on your screen... no hurry with the second push.

One thing you might find handy is to buy another power cord and hook it up to a cigarette lighter plug to power up you unit in your car. This way your unit can be ready when you hit the water this way you can also delete any unwanted icons or trails before updating the MMC chip for that particular lake right in the car on the way home. I also have a MMC chip I made up with the "map create" so I can use the GPS feature in the vehicle... it's pretty cool to have the roads and exits and be able to follow a trail right to the boat launch icon:)

Good luck!