How do you deal with lack of confidence?
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/15/2006 10:01 PM (#205157)
Subject: How do you deal with lack of confidence?

OK....so you are having a bad season.....well maybe a terrible season. You have caught 4 fish total this entire summer. You have moved a few, but still arent getting them to go. You have fished harder than you ever have this season and you are starting to lose confidence in what you are doing. How do you stay mentaly focused in the boat and have confidence in your self and what you are doing? What would you do in these circumstances?

Mike
MuskyHopeful
Posted 8/15/2006 10:05 PM (#205160 - in reply to #205157)
Subject: RE: How do you deal with lack of confidence?

Get engaged. Wait, you tried that.

Guess I don't know.

Kevin

Last minute planning, just ask Baldy and Muskihntr.
IAJustin
Posted 8/15/2006 10:25 PM (#205163 - in reply to #205157)

Personally if I am not getting the results I want -
I do something different - a new fishing partner, fish a different lake, different section of a lake, try extremely shallow, focus on deeper structure,try it at night, ......something different - If you aren't getting the results you are looking for experiment. Never lose confidence they have to eat sometime...positive mental attitude = positive results.

ToddM
Posted 8/15/2006 10:33 PM (#205164 - in reply to #205157)

Definitley try something different as stated. We have had a hot summer, it throws many lakes into a funk. Find the ones that are least affected by it. The nights will also be getting cooler now and water temps will start to slowly come down which will also be a good thing. Try night fishing as well.
sworrall
Posted 8/15/2006 10:33 PM (#205165 - in reply to #205160)

Mike, don't let it bother you. Norm, Andy, Sue, and I took two consecutive League Championships, yet this year we suck so bad it's almost funny. Norm is one of the best sticks I know, and we both have Pelican nailed, but CANNOT produce on Tuesday nights this year even with Lucky Andy and Sue in the rigs... I had a 35" fish shake a WEAGLE tonight, and that plain never seems to happen... Luck of the draw, and that's a fact. From what I saw this weekend you are a good stick, read the water well, and place your casts where you should even when I had you in what had to look to you like like pretty weird water, so it's just a matter of time.

Just keep casting, it'll happen. You already have a personal best this year, and that trumps numbers. AND!! Becky likes to fish, and didn't have any problem staying out on the water for nearly 8 hours. Consider yourself blessed.
The Yeti
Posted 8/15/2006 10:43 PM (#205167 - in reply to #205157)

buy some inline llungen tails in your favorite colors and burn your favorite spots ALL day

u'll see fish you never knew were there.
i'm serious
Ranger
Posted 8/15/2006 11:13 PM (#205172 - in reply to #205157)

Yer not out there to catch fish. Yer out there to have fun. You don't need the fish to have the fun. This life is short, get yer head right.
sworrall
Posted 8/15/2006 11:21 PM (#205174 - in reply to #205172)

Well spoken, Ranger, very well spoken. the Hideout awaits your return.
Sponge
Posted 8/16/2006 5:57 AM (#205193 - in reply to #205157)

Edited by Sponge 8/23/2006 9:14 AM
Derrys
Posted 8/16/2006 6:32 AM (#205194 - in reply to #205157)

I know how you feel Pointer. I don't get to fish very often, one to three times a month is all. Usually one or two of those times will have terrible conditions, so in reality, I'm probably on the water with favorable conditions about 5 times a year.

Last year I caught a 47" in the Minaki area of Canada, that was it, and so far this year I've got a 41". I spent 4 days on Mille Lacs last week pounding the water, and only got a couple of 34" Pike. Very dissappointing. Of course, nobody was really cleaning up, so I didn't feel too bad.

You just have to believe it's going to happen for you. As the saying goes, we all have our 15 minutes of fame. At some point, you'll be in the right spot at the right time. It's not easy. A very good guide was fishing the event I was fishing on Mille Lacs, a guy who most people would say is one of the top 3 guides on that lake. He caught 1. Of course, it was a 55" fish, but still, it was one bite more than I had.

Keep the faith brotha.
Troyz.
Posted 8/16/2006 7:46 AM (#205209 - in reply to #205157)

Mike

Keep casting, that is the challenge of musky fishing, some years you have small windows, and if you are not lucky enough to be on the water during those time periods you are going to miss the action. Last friday 2 50's pulled of the same reef in 10 minutes, this after 3 days of no fish boated for these guys. If frustrated and not on the water they would have missed this opportunity. I know alot of people are having a slow year, it is tough being a weekend warrior and not having the pattern consistanly dialed in, the best thing is networking with good sticks and getting info on what is working on the bodies of water you are fishing. Definitely pay attention to solunar periods. Last year was a tough year for me, plenty fish, but none over 40", till 2nd last trip and caught a 48 and 52 in 1 hour. Thing can change fast and just keep working high confidence spots, do a little exploring.

Good Luck

Troyz
jlong
Posted 8/16/2006 7:56 AM (#205212 - in reply to #205157)

Fish in shorter windows... at suspected prime times. No point in adding fatigue to your lack of confidence.... as that is the 1-2 punch for failure.

Troyz has a great suggestion too... and that is to explore. While taking breaks between your "fishing windows" take the time to learn more about the lake. Graph secondary structures. Visually inspect prime spots. Check the inside weedline you typically ignore for any potential Spot on the Spots. Drop some waypoints to help you fish your favorite spots BETTER.

Or... do what I do... and just blame the FISH. It ain't your fault they ain't bitin' heh heh heh
Magruter
Posted 8/16/2006 8:14 AM (#205214 - in reply to #205157)

I try to bass/panfishing. Mike remember we are in the dog days, fall will be here sooner than we think... ...Then it's piggy hunting time!
muskyboy
Posted 8/16/2006 8:19 AM (#205217 - in reply to #205157)

Mike,

I'm bass fishing until late September. You just have to be on them when they are eating, and life doesn't always allow that.

Remember the wisdom of Dick Pearson:

If you always do what you always did then you will always get what you got

Try another lake, if lakes suck, try a river, if rivers suck, go back to the lake, ...

No easy button for musky fishing

Steve
JohnMD
Posted 8/16/2006 8:19 AM (#205218 - in reply to #205157)

It only takes ONE fish to move you from a ZERO to a HERO, keep at it and you will be rewarded

It's called FISHING not CATCHING

Edited by JohnMD 8/16/2006 8:19 AM
Jomusky
Posted 8/16/2006 8:32 AM (#205223 - in reply to #205157)

Don't forget to have fun. Fishing is supposed to be enjoyable, not work.
ulbian
Posted 8/16/2006 8:45 AM (#205228 - in reply to #205157)

Mike,
Don't worry about it...you've fished alot of water you haven't seen before this year...and are still seeing fish. Plus you've caught more fish from shore this year than most guys get from shore in a lifetime. It's been a quirky year...jlong summed it up, hit those windows if possible. Hard in your situation but you're not the only one out there who has had a rough year. If you're free this weekend give me a call. Going to find sometime to get out....simply simply have to. Gotta do some campin'!!!!!!!

IF this was a general question, not specifically looking at yourself then I say throw everything you have away and only throw a spinnerbait and a DDD.

-Bob
Eguddal
Posted 8/16/2006 9:05 AM (#205234 - in reply to #205157)

The minute I read the title of this thread, I knew Sponge would have the ultimate words of wisdom has he has in the past. The piniata experience is a classic!!

A guy I know, who will remain nameless, is at the point of complete dispare. The guy fishes harder then most, spends countless hours on the water, bought a new 620 with all the bells and whistles, signed up for 2 tournament trails, and has yet to stick a fish this YEAR! Then his job is forcing him onto a different shift , manditory overtime, so it's screwing up his fishing and sleeping plans. Lets just say he's on 24 hours suicide watch.

The point is...no matter how bad you think your fishing season is going, there is always someone who having a worse year. Buck up man! This is what makes those 4 fish days so special! Its a life lesson not just a muskie lesson. Don't be a victim!
Slamr
Posted 8/16/2006 9:06 AM (#205236 - in reply to #205157)

Hey, I did what I needed to do for you, not MY fault that fish got off. Heck, I even let you use the rod/reel and bait you missed that fish on! That's a joke btw.

For once, I'll agree with Ranger here: in reality, having fun is (or should be) the end goal of muskie fishing for just about everyone whose financial livelihood doesn't depend on muskies being brought to the net. Don't kill yourself on the water, dont beat yourself up mentally. Use what you know, what you've learned, and try a few new things here and there. But, most of all have fun doing it. If not catching a fish is going to ruin your day, it might be time to re-assess your goals for muskie fishing. I'm not saying you're there yet, but I know I used to be. Then it dawned on me that somedays the fish just arent going to go, and if they are it'll be nothing short of a miracle for me to get one to eat. Though all powerful on MuskieFIRST (joking), I'm not in possession of the ability to make fish eat when they dont want to.

So, when you're on the water, and the conditions look very UN-fishy, either keep fishing w/ the knowledge that your chances of boating a fish are very slim and its time to enjoy just being on the water, or just go home. I remember more than once that it's 10 or 11AM (being that we started fishing at 5:30AM) and I turn to the guy I'm fishing with and say "ok, we're done, let's grab lunch". Because somedays for me, its better to have the yummy food at Jollymon's than it is to beat the water to a froth, with little or no chance of success.

But, thats me. Some guys will tough it out all day, and that doesnt bother them, or a fruitless day bothers them, but they deal with it. For me, fishing without success gets demorilizing pretty quick. So, I pick my spots, take my breaks, and when it gets really bad, just resign myself that it really is about fishing, and not about catching.

This isnt to you, but to everyone that gets frustrated: if the catching is the only thing that matters to you, you probably wont be muskie fishing long enough to do much muskie catching.
Magruter
Posted 8/16/2006 9:14 AM (#205240 - in reply to #205157)

I'm happy when I just see a fish..
esoxaddict
Posted 8/16/2006 10:02 AM (#205244 - in reply to #205157)

LMAO!!

Mike,

It doesn't matter if you've had 3 fishess days or 103 fishless days, every time you go out you're starting over. I like to make fun of my luck lately because it's gotten kind of silly. Ok it's gotten REALLY silly, but anyway...

You're like me -- you don't have a boat, so you're fishing with other people -- you kind of have to trust (at least I do) that they know the lake, they know the spots, they've seen and caught fish there before.

I have confidence in my ability to choose appropriate lures, I have confidence in my ability to present those lures effectively. Sometimes I blow it on a figure 8 or miss a hookset, which is what really gets to me because I know better. But when nobody in the boat catches a fish all day you can't blame yourself unless you're running the boat. Even then -- if the fish ain't moving you're not going to catch them no matter WHO you are.

Like I said -- I like to make fun of it, but I don't get discouraged. I keep going back, and every time I throw that first cast I'm as excited as I was the last time out whether it's been a day several months.

Musky Snax
Posted 8/16/2006 10:11 AM (#205247 - in reply to #205157)

If muskies were easier to catch, everyone would be doing it and the fish would suffer.
I'm also happy just to see a fish or two when I'm out. At least I know I managed to put myself on spots where there are fish.

This season, I've managed to raise at least two muskies every time out which is encouraging. Only two in the boat for me thus far but quite a few magical experiences seeing big ones cruise by or a hair raising strike right at boat side.

You have to fish for muskies because it makes you happy. One of the reasons I like throwing gliders is that it keeps me entertained making them come to life instead of mindlessly throwing bucktails which would be a lot less work!

I've NEVER had a bad day of musky fishing...it beats working! (Well, now I do what I love for my job so that's not true any more!)
Posted 8/16/2006 10:48 AM (#205257 - in reply to #205157)

It's good to get skunked for a extended period. That way when you start crushing fish again you appreciate it even more. Everyone has dry spells especially when you are new to it. Embrace it because it's a test. Plus fish smarter not harder.
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/16/2006 12:02 PM (#205269 - in reply to #205157)

Thanks for all the tips.....Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy all the time I am on the water and have a blast even though I havent caught fish. I have gotten to fish with a lot of new people, and good fisherman: Slamr, Worrall, ulbian, BigMo, Merckid, Peaches, MuskieMedic, Muskydr, Sled. I have had a blast fishing this season....less frustrated in the boat when I am out alone, but my problem is when I go out alone I NEVER see a thing....perhaps it is because I am on Pelican with no trolling motor and a crappy locater.......Oh well....back in Point in about 3 weeks and I can start trying to get back into fish where I was smoking them this spring!

Mike
jonnysled
Posted 8/16/2006 12:49 PM (#205278 - in reply to #205157)

it's funny ... this was the subject on the launch last night before league. i had a really bad musky attitude prior to heading out, but looked forward to a good time in the boat with bigmo, and tacos afterward with a few beers with everyone from league, so although it's been a tough couple weeks and my confidence is low ... there's always something to look forward to and it's all about being on the water spending time with friends instead of the alternative. i got to move a big wake behind a topwater near the end of the night ... sped up and she chased hard ... just never opened her yap, but it was enough to refuel the tank and give me back at least a little bit of the lost confidence that at least at that particular time i put the boat in the right spot and the right time ... the rest is up to the fish.

i've got some traveling ahead of me mike, but keep giving me a shout when you're free and let's get out another time before the year ends.
fish4musky1
Posted 8/16/2006 1:36 PM (#205286 - in reply to #205157)

JUST FISH, there is always muskie feeding no matter how bad the weather (sunny and calm). all
of the fish caught in our boat (about a dozen) have been without a trolling motor and we have a
10+ year old depth finder so they can definetly be caught with out a trolling motor or nice electronics.
i caught a muskie by my self just drifting over a big weed bed. i wasnt worrying about being right on
the weed edge, i was just fishing,if you dont have a good trolling motor and cant controll the boat
perfectly dont worry about being on the perfect spot, it will just get you frustrated. maybe
were just lucky but we try to set up good drifts with the wind along weeds and shorelines.

just make the best out of the time on the water you have. NO one can can
catch muskies all the time. some times you fish for 3 days and only have one strike and you might
blow it, thats how musky fishing goes. like snax said, if they were easy and could be predicted
everyone would fish
them.
i have dealt the lack of confidence by going to lures that you know have caught fish for you and just
keep the lure in the water as much as you can. cast, reel, figure 8 and get it back out there right
away. try to find out what the fish want, fish smart.

Edited by fish4musky1 8/16/2006 1:41 PM
fishnriggs
Posted 8/16/2006 8:28 PM (#205343 - in reply to #205157)

SPONGE you have my vote whenever you decide to run.
Can't catch fish ? Go bowling instead !