Shimano and BPS Reels: Need Push-Button Help
esox50
Posted 8/15/2006 9:29 PM (#205152)
Subject: Shimano and BPS Reels: Need Push-Button Help

My two Calcutta 400s are both screwing up; the push-buttons won't DISengage. I can push it down, but go to turn the reel handle and nothing happens. The handle just keeps spinning. I usually have to push it down again, whack the reel handle, or smack the crud out of the side plate (I had to do the latter on a 49" in Canada, something I do not want to again).

My BPS has a similar problem only this time it won't engage. It's like it's sticky and won't push down all the time. Again, was fighting a fish that hit in a figure 8 and couldn't get it in free spool, had to rely on my drag which I'm not really comfortable with.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do about these seemingly minor problems, short of sending them back to their respective companies? Does anyone know a good reel repairman in Illinois I could send them to? Thanks much!
dogboy
Posted 8/16/2006 7:47 AM (#205210 - in reply to #205152)
Subject: RE: Shimano and BPS Reels: Need Push-Button Help

as far as your TE goes, send it back to shimano, they have a good turn around time. They will help you out, unlike another reel company I've dealt with.
RobMyers
Posted 8/16/2006 8:20 AM (#205219 - in reply to #205152)

In Illinois, I know of Coren's R&R Service in Chicago and in Vernon Hills is Dave's Reel Service. Mark, Dave's son does a lot of work on the reels these days. 847-549-7170. Check listings for Coren's. Both are good and I'm sure there are a few others out there that I don't know of who can help if you are further south.
Rob
Muskie Bob
Posted 8/17/2006 10:35 PM (#205495 - in reply to #205152)

Sounds like the clutch pawl needs to be replaced on your Shimano reels.

It would be best to replace the clutch pawl, yoke spring, clutch cam, and clutch pawl spring.

The first time I replaced a clutch pawl on one of my Shimano Chronarch reels, the replacement was just a little larger than the original, which made me think Shimano realized they had a problem.

Basically, if they are anything like my old Shimano Chronarch reels, the problem is related to POOR design. Because of the design, I doubt if I ever buy another Shimano reel.

Although I really like the reels, I too never want to loose or miss a large muskie because the reel fails to engage. I lost one around 48" using another Shimano reel, which Shimano repaired by replacing the clutch pawl. That's why I feel Shimano has a poor design on, at least, some of their reels.

good luck.

muskysarge
Posted 8/22/2006 9:39 PM (#206128 - in reply to #205152)

Do not take your reel to corens. My te 400 a screw came loose after they cleaned it. Stripped the gears. Took it back, said they would fix it, 4 cast's with a suick, screws came out. Sent it to shimano, back within a week, good as new.