Other than Canada Options
MuskieRob
Posted 8/15/2006 1:27 AM (#205027)
Subject: Other than Canada Options

As a muskie fisherman who gets one full week a year to fish, I was wondering what are the least pressured lakes in Minnesota to fish muskie for? Been going to Canada for the past 7 years, but after our whole group got skunked on Wabigoon this year, I was looking for alternatives in the states to fish. The cost of gas and the pain in border crossing is taking a toll on our group. We are looking for a closer lake to fish for next year. Any input would be greatly appreciated and please send info to my email address if you so wish to do so. [email protected].
happy hooker
Posted 8/15/2006 5:29 AM (#205031 - in reply to #205027)
Subject: RE: Other than Canada Options

It sure isnt vermillion or Mille Lacs ,,,,on all the big lakes in Minn if you want less pressure,,your better off switching "time",,mid september and October when peoples thought are on hunting and football
MadJim
Posted 8/15/2006 8:58 PM (#205144 - in reply to #205027)

Check out Lobster near Alexandria a shallow water bite early to mid month.
Miltona north of town. West Battle in Ottertail County near Battle Lake fish shallow reeds. Detroit Lake near Detroit Lakes
muskie! nut
Posted 8/15/2006 9:03 PM (#205145 - in reply to #205027)

Utah
fishnriggs
Posted 8/15/2006 9:14 PM (#205150 - in reply to #205027)

Lakes around Rhinelander WI, fish and cold beer.
dogboy
Posted 8/16/2006 7:21 AM (#205202 - in reply to #205027)

MuskyKat hit that one on the head for sure!
guideman
Posted 8/16/2006 10:05 AM (#205245 - in reply to #205027)

Vermilion is getting hit pretty hard on the weekends. Mid week, is something else. Don't let a few extra boats keep you off the best Muskie lake in all of Minnesota.

I spend every day on the water and rarely do I see more than a handfull of boats. I think you'll find it to your satisfaction no matter what your reasons are for fishing.

See ya out there!

"Ace"
MuskieRob
Posted 8/16/2006 10:42 PM (#205378 - in reply to #205027)

I'm not judging Canada on one trip or one week I've been up there the past 8 years I've fished Canyon Lake for 4 years and know I can get numbers of all species there. I've fished Eagle Lake, Indian Chain Lakes, Wabigoon and Lake Despair. I've enjoyed every trip I've taken, but all I was saying is that I wait an entire year to spend a week to muskie fish and this year, because of the cost of gas (we spent close to $400 on it to go there and back) and the hassles over the last two years at the border that I expected to have 1 or 2 members of our group come in one night with a nice CR photo.

MuskieRob
Posted 8/16/2006 10:45 PM (#205380 - in reply to #205245)

I don't mind a few a boats, but when I go up to Eagle River, WI, you've got everything on the water that floats going all over the place. I just don't want to spend a week in Minnesota dodging the watercrafts. I've often wanted to fish Vermilion. Do you recommend any lodges?
sworrall
Posted 8/17/2006 7:58 AM (#205397 - in reply to #205380)

Minnesota offers several big waters where boat traffic won't be as much of an issue including Leech, Cass, Vermillion, Mille Lacs, and several opportunities around Grand Rapids and Bemidji. Ace can help with Vermilion, drop him a PM.
Donnie3737
Posted 8/17/2006 8:58 AM (#205406 - in reply to #205027)

MuskieRob,

This has been, without a doubt, one of the toughest bites I've seen in many years. We had to change tactics & spots in order to trigger some fish. Sorry your outing wasn't what you'd planned!! The good news is, the pressure, because of the price of gas & border issues, has allowed for less fisherman on the lakes in canada.

Donnie
jonnysled
Posted 8/17/2006 10:27 AM (#205419 - in reply to #205027)

if you go to northern wisconsin and just stay off of the chains where the predominant boat traffice is there are still about a zillion choices of lakes that you could choose and have as much pressure around you as you would want or not want. i still laugh about the word "pressure" as it relates to fishing up here. the chains and a few individual lakes are magnets for boaters, fisherman, jetskiers etc ... based on lore, articles and word of mouth and if you take them out of your choices there are still thousands left to choose from. .... i truly believe there are quality lakes here that during any given season just about don't get fished ... the week long visitors in this area are dwindling as fast as the resorts and campgrounds turn to condos ... the experienced fishermen tend to be on the water from maybe thursday night til noon on sunday ... the rest of the week you can take your pick and be the lone ranger on some of the areas best water .... take your pick .... there may not be any big fish in wisconsin, but the lakes that hold them are still among the most beautiful to be on ...
guideman
Posted 8/18/2006 4:40 AM (#205513 - in reply to #205027)

Hey MuskieRob,
There are a number of great resorts up on Vermilion. Go to
www.lakevermilion.com or www.lakevermilionresorts.com for info on lodging.
Otherwise shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you a few that I can recommend.

"Ace"
Jomusky
Posted 8/18/2006 8:42 AM (#205550 - in reply to #205027)

The best lodge and price on Vermillion that I have found is hands down Glenwood Lodge, and it's very close to the East basin (save gas $$$).

I have been fishing Big V for 4 years now. The last 2 have seen a dramatic jump in musky pressure. It has been a strugle to fish the reefs on the East end. Every rock pile or island has at least one boat on it and when someone moves off, someone else moves in. I don't think we are going back next year because of the pressure. I have a hankering to return to Sabaskong.

Musky Brian
Posted 8/19/2006 12:03 PM (#205697 - in reply to #205027)

If you like fishing the calm and peaceful waters of the Indian Chain, and Canyon, ( 2 of my favorites), I would really think twice about going to Vermilion. I have taken a few trips there, trying to avoid the extra drive and $$, and I was kicking myself for it every time. Everyone likes something different, but that is just my opinion to consider. If you don't want to drive that far, maybe consider closer options in Canada. Nestor Falls isn't that far over the border of LOTW and we have torn up that area before. As far as MINN, I enjoyed the Grand Rapids/Deer River area on lakes such as Moose and Deer. Also do some research on smaller lakes near the Bemidji area, these can be good especially if you bring your own boat