How many over 48"?
sworrall
Posted 2/20/2002 11:47 PM (#209)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Who has caught a 48" fish, and how many personal 48s do you have? Guides, how many 48s have you guided clients to?

I have, by my sons count and mine that I remember, 61 personal and client fish that big or bigger, just short of 1.7 average per year; fishing very, very, very hard for many of those years.

I guided for 10 years near full time, so I had the time on the water. I did not get a 48 or better in 85, 86, 87, 89,93,and 99.

That makes a 48 a pretty tough fish to catch![:0]

Is a 48 a trophy? I think so.

Posted 2/21/2002 4:16 AM (#23335)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I can only claim one there. It took me 12 years of musky fishing to finally get one over 48". I got my personal best last summer on a Top Raider. It was a 49 1/4" Wisconsin fish.

Is a 48" fish a trophy? I guess I don't have any problems calling that a trophy. It's definitely an awesome fish. I don't plan on keeping one of any size, so I've never really had my mind set on a certain length or weight as far as what exactly should be considered trophy size.

Now it's time to top the 50" mark.......

Posted 2/21/2002 5:03 AM (#23336)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Unfortunately my biggest is 1.25 inches short of that.

Posted 2/21/2002 6:08 AM (#23337)
Subject: How many over 48"?


[:((] [:((] [:((] [:blackeye:] [:blackeye:] [:blackeye:] , that would be a no.

Posted 2/21/2002 6:41 AM (#23338)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I have kept track of this quite closly, and in the boat I have 143 fish 48" and bigger. Mostly LOTWs, but a few in other NW Ontario lakes as well.

Yes, I consider a 48" fish to be a trophy.

Doug Johnson

Posted 2/21/2002 7:23 AM (#23339)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Just this past year I boated one 49" on a northern WI lake. Had another one (I believe it is the same one I caught) a few months earlier slip through my net that I never got a tape on. Lost another that would have topped 50.

48" a trophy? You bet!

Posted 2/21/2002 7:24 AM (#23340)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I have caught only 2 that measured 48" or better. Clients have yet to boat even one. That's not to say that they didn't have their chances or heck for that matter me either.

FIVE different times last season, monsters have been hooked, fish that were readily seen and agreed to be in the 48 - 50" class. And all five times, the fish got off :(

Steve @ G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods. http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Posted 2/21/2002 7:42 AM (#23341)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I get to claim 2 - 48'ers. One in early Oct '99 and one in mid-Oct '01. Both on suckers and were very fat fish.
Rob

www.luvthemmuskies.com[:praise:]

Posted 2/21/2002 8:15 AM (#23342)
Subject: How many over 48"?


48ins a trophy, you betcha! I'm old school. In fact, I was always taught that 45ins was a trophy fish. Opinions and times have changed but when I'm asked what I consider a trohpy I still say 45ins, I would say that for pro's a trohpy is 48 and for your every day muskiholic 45 I.M.H.O. Fish in my boat over 48ins caught either by myself and clients totals 67, adding in the 45's and larger the total goes to 118, that's with 36yrs chasing these goofy fish 22 as a guide.[:bigsmile:]

Posted 2/21/2002 8:20 AM (#23343)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I have 2 four footers personnally, a 48 and a 48.5"er(the 48 from WI, 48.5 Canada). I netted a 49.5"er for my dad last summer after raising it on a Reef Hawg. I lost 2 bona fide 50's now(one on the WI river in 98, and one in Price Co. in 94 which was very very big), but cannot get one in the boat!!! Yes I feel 48 is a trophy. it really shows, as I have a dozen or so 47+'s, but the 48's are a little tougher to crack(in WI anyway).

Posted 2/21/2002 8:25 AM (#23344)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Zero, zip, nada, goose egged, never ... how many other ways can I say none? I've been close, but haven't broke the 48" mark, and yes, that mean's I'd call it a trophy. Does this make me less of a man? [8)]

Posted 2/21/2002 8:33 AM (#23345)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Can we get this down to a shorter length so the rest of us can participate?
48" a trophy? I say hell yes!
Beav

Posted 2/21/2002 8:41 AM (#23346)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I have been blessed with 8 over 48 inches. Seven out of the eight came out of Lake of the Woods and the other out of Wisconsin. The biggest being a 52 1/4 incher. I will have to attribute alot to catch and release and higher size limit on Lake of the Woods. I will be the first to admit that it is easier out of LOW than Wisconsin to get one 48 inches or better. It took me 15 years of fishing Wisconsin to get a 48 incher or better and only 2 years for me to get the 52 1/4 incher out of LOW. Al[:praise:]

Posted 2/21/2002 8:45 AM (#23347)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Unky, absolutely not. The idea behind this thread and the 53" thread is to show just how tough it really is to catch a muskie over 48". I have noticed an elitist sort of behavior forming in the last few years pushing the 'trophy' (released or not) mark way over 50.

My opinion: That puts the bar too high for most of us, and creates an atmosphere where a true trophy of 48.5" at 31 pounds is considered 'commonplace'. A four footer is anything but.

I am trying to establish what the MuskieFIRST anglers feel is a trophy, and am VERY pleased to see the results so far.

Personally, I feel anything over 45" is a pig, and will take all that I am lucky enough to stick.[:0] [:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:]

Posted 2/21/2002 9:43 AM (#23348)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve, I agree with you a 45 incher is a Trophy!!!!I spend as much time on the water as I can and I still get excited over a 35 incher. The fish I was probally most proudest was a 45 incher I got last June on High Falls with all the boat traffic, fishing pressure, jet skiers, and water skiers buzzing around me. Al [:praise:]

Posted 2/21/2002 9:47 AM (#23349)
Subject: How many over 48"?


They are all trophies! Every one is special in its own way.
I concider anything in the mid-forties to be a trophy.
Easily impressed? NO
Grateful and thankful? YES
Beav

Posted 2/21/2002 10:02 AM (#23350)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve you had to make me find my logs, well since 1996 I have had 60 fish 48 or better. Now I believe those to be trophys and also believe that to be the limit on big fish waters and 45 can be a trophy on the smaller waters. Some lakes just don't have many fish over 45. As for clients I believe they account for 10 of those the last 2 years but 8 of them were 50+. [:p]

Posted 2/21/2002 11:14 AM (#23351)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Great post Steve. I Totally agree with your thinking on the "elitist" thinking pervading the sport.A good "stick" to me is a man or woman that can figure out and produce the biggest fish avavilable to Him on a given body of water;knows how to approach different types of systems,structure, forage, etc. These are people that given the time, money and inclination would do well anywhere they fished. There are a hell of a lot of average joes out there who would outfish most of us if they put in the same amount of time.If a guy can consistently produce on any water that I cant he/she has my respect and I can learn something from Him.Wether or not they have ever produced a 50", 48" or whatever is not the criteria that I would use to judge someones worth as a Muskie fisherman.Its time we got back to whats its really all about.Ok Im done sounding off.

Posted 2/21/2002 11:16 AM (#23352)
Subject: How many over 48"?


One at 48.75" in Wi.in 1997!And yes I think any LEGAL FISH is a trophy in my book!Because there are alot of smok`in sticks out there(even with more fish)its not EASY!I guess thats the fun part!Its more like hunting then fishing!Thrill of the chase and all,with a toothy reward! Jeff

Posted 2/21/2002 11:44 AM (#23353)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve- one fish over 48" (50") in Canada actually my second Muskie. Three flyins 4 days each~ 120 hours total chasing Muskies. Rest of time was spent fishing smallies, lakers or waiting out storms. Five fish total on the three trips, first trip 38, 50, second trip 36, 47 1/2, 36. Last trip zero-nada (daughter got her first- a 30"). I consider any Muskie to be trophy or future trophy. + 50" are nice but the Mid- thirty to mid forty fish seem to really fight.

My best fight was a mid-30 on 17 lb mono in a very shallow large bay w/ sparse weeds & no wood.(ave depth ~ 3')on first trip. What a strong acrobatic fish. I was actually cheering for this fish. After ~ four minutes it finally threw the hook in a spectacular leap.


WI fishing about 24 hrs between LCO & Grindstone- no fish This was basic lake recon- did catch nice + 10 lb bonus walleye CPR'd.

Then there are the "Oh my God!" fish. Just seeing them is a huge adrenaline rush.

I think the word trophy is better defined by the individual fisherman at that particular point in their Muskie fishing history. To my daughter that 30" fish was the biggest fish she'd ever caught. To her the next trophy might be a 36". But it's probably the "Oh my God!" fish she saw follow her bait to the boat. But just because my goal is higher than your's doesn't make me superior. You may have caught 20 or 100 x more Muskies than I, but maybe I was just lucky or was I? - I may never achieve my goal. The satisfaction is in trying and the reward is in the attainment. That also doesn't mean I'll pull my hooks away from a 40" fish. [:p]


What's needed is a realistic perspective that it's not necessary to have physical evidence (the real fish or multiple actual fish of ever increasing size on your trophy room wall). Even a photo is not a figure of merit to judge your fellow fisherman. What is important, is your own personal satisfaction at attaining your goal, i.e., to catch that next trophy. You certainly shouldn't be subjected to humiliation by more experienced anglers w/ bigger fish.

You know the old adage' "All fisherman are liar's except you and I, and sometimes I'm not to sure about you!"

"It's your choice to catch'em & let'em Go!" Maybe that same fish will be your trophy world record fish 5 years from now [8)] [:0] . If you put her on the wall, you'll never know if you missed an opportunity of a lifetime.[:knockout:] Yes released fish do die- but mostly from miss handling. If you really want to preserve the Muskie resource don't even take the fish out of the water.

I think we place to much emphasis on measuring & photographing the fish as proof of our prowness. Yes, I'm guilty too. Forgive me for my sins, I will attempt to do better in the future!

But by the same token-I'll not belittle anyone for keeping a trophy fish. We all buy fishing license's and with exceptions of size restrictions or catch & release only restrictions, we all have the right to keep a legal trophy fish. The choice is yours! I hope you all catch your trophy this season.

Steve - sorry for rambling, yes I'd agree a mid-40 fish is a pig and they are not that easy to come by either. But "Trophy is in the eye of the beholder".


Al Warner



www.icantplayfindmyfoot.com

Posted 2/21/2002 11:55 AM (#23354)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Muskies 48" and better.

2) By myself, 48.5,48.5
1) By client, 48
2) I have netted two also by others 48,48.5

All measured by a flat stick. (The correct way of measurement acording to the DNR)

But none over 50". I have caught many between 45 and 48 and would not laugh at them one bit. Any fish 43" or better with good shoulders is a great fish anyday.

My opinion.
A nice fish, 38 to 42.75
A good fish, 43 to 47.75
A trophy 48 to 51
A true slob 51+

I enjoy fishing for them most of all, yes I want a big dog, but I never get mad at a 35" either.


Posted 2/21/2002 12:24 PM (#23355)
Subject: How many over 48"?


My biggest muskie to date is 51". I consinder 48" to be a trophy.
What do you guys consinder a trophy Tiger? I got a 45.5" in 2000 on a tiny metro lake. I'm thinking about getting a replica made.
Brian s

Posted 2/21/2002 12:49 PM (#23356)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve,
This is a great post. I very strongly agree with you and 7Island as to your replies. I also have said for quite some time that the expectations of the average musky fishing person is getting way out of whack with reality. Much consideration has to be put into the water you are fishing and the amount of time you have to invest to be able to set realistic goals.

I have always thought that a trophy started at 48"s. That is because in Northern Wisconsin our fish start hovering around the 30# mark at that length. I have always thought a 30# fish was my benchmark for a trophy. That is why many of my larger fish are weighed before release, length is not that important to me.

I have keep pretty meticulous logs the last 10 years. Here are the numbers:

I have put seventeen 30#+ fish in the boat the last 10 years and eighteen 48" or larger. That comes out to 1.8 a year, same number as yours. Coincidence???? I think not. Of those 30#ers, two have been smaller than 48"s and two seasons ago I caught a 46.5" that I think was over 30#s but never weighed it so it does not make my 30# list. I have also caught three fish 48" or better that did not go 30#s and thus, don't make my 30# list.

Yes a 48"er is a trophy, in my area it IS (or should be) the benchmark of a big fish!

Posted 2/21/2002 1:59 PM (#23357)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve,

I was waiting for you to drop that down from the 53" that you originally set the mark at. My family goes on an annual trip to a Minnesota Lake where we spend a week a year. I've boated, in 9 years, maybe 9 fish on these trips. Three of those, however, were 48.5, 50.5, 51.5. Either I'm one lucky SOB who stumbles into a nice fish now and again, or I'm one unlucky SOB who should be catching a heckuva lot more fish than I am. I guess I don't have any room to complain!

Brad

Posted 2/21/2002 2:18 PM (#23358)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Great topic! I agree that a 48" is a trophy.After releasing my first legal in '77, I caught my largest last year at 48 even.This fish was extra special as it was caught while fishing with my brother Dave.We've chased the "Green Fish" from Missouri in April To summer days on LOTW and we've had a blast doing it.Would love to have gotten a tape on some of the fish we've had on though!!!What constitutes a trophy?I've always thought that 45 was the first level.I took a friend out last fall and he ended up boating one of the fattest 44"'s I've seen.Had to be 25lbs..His first muskie and yes a trophy.I guess this year she'll be 45 and legit!! It's all relative, and each memory of time on the water is a trophy.Good luck to all in 02 and may the Muskie Gods bless me with my 1st 50!(and please let it happen in the Hodag) Steve

Posted 2/21/2002 2:56 PM (#23359)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve: First of all, a 4 FOOT muskie is a hell of a fish! When I was a kid (as well as now) I always remember my dad talking about a 4 footer that he "raised". Always had my sights set on a fish that big, as did he. Don't know how many over 48 I and clients have taken, but we have a total of 18 over 50 inches Imuch easier to keep track of), although I think far too much emphasis is put on 50 being the "magic" lengh mark. I readily recall 3 over 48 by clients that mean more to me than "most" of my 50's. It is a real thrill to boat a fish of that caliber (love those fat 46's and 47's too!) for a client. Makes the season!

You are right on track showing what really is a trophy fish length!

Muskie regards,
Larry Ramsell
www.larryramsell.com

Posted 2/21/2002 3:02 PM (#23360)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I have six fish of 48" or larger to my credit, two of which were 50"ers. A 50" and a 51 1/4".

Others in my boat account for another five 48+ including a 50, 50 1/2 and a 52.

I find it notable that all these fish with the exception of one 50" and one 48" came from Wisconsin.

Fred J

Posted 2/21/2002 4:45 PM (#23361)
Subject: How many over 48"?


my thinking is from the old school, where tony rizzo was the first i remember to set the benchmark, calling it the "4-footer club". he also remarked (with alot of documenting to back up his zillions of hours on the water)that only 2% of muskies caught go 44"s or better. with catch and release getting better and better, that percentage may or may not change.and i have can lay claim to 1 in that club, from wisconsin. never fished canada or minnesota YET!
steve

Posted 2/21/2002 4:55 PM (#23362)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Fishing muskies in IL and WI for past 12 years and never was able to boat one larger than 47". This past year I surpassed 48" and 50" on the same day. Big fish to me start at 45", and they are not easy to come by in the states. Can't speak for Canada, never have fished there. Chuck, I hope you're right and the big girls will come to me more readily now that I've got the 50 inch monkey( correction, muskie) off my back.

Posted 2/21/2002 8:18 PM (#23363)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Only 3 over 48 in 30+ years as a weekend warrior, but still can't crack that magic 50. All from Wisconsin waters.

Posted 2/21/2002 9:35 PM (#23364)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Steve,
Over 16 years I am averaging 2.125/yr 48" or better that's about 1 in every 13. Some years though, it's more like one in 50.

I would like to know how newer muskie fishermen feel about benchmarks. Are some turned off by all the talk of big fish? Or does it just give them something to shoot for?

Posted 2/21/2002 9:58 PM (#23365)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Sorry just shy of the mark 47.75 could'nt get that last .25 out of her.

Posted 2/21/2002 11:05 PM (#23366)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Well I set my goal for a 45" this past year and I was able to achieve that goal while fishing in Canada last year. I managed to hook into my first Canadian fish that was 46", and on my last fish I got into a 48". Both fish came from LOTW and I was very fortunate to have good company along. Plus some outstanding friends at camp that were willing to help me out on some spots. Thanks Jono, Nesse and Paul. Those fish are burnt into my memory forever.

I tied into a mid 40" fish this past summer on Wisconsin water, but the squirrely sucka managed to come unglued. In fact it was the same weekend that Cisco Kid "got the fin"ger from a fish the night before. That look on his face after the big girl slipped off was priceless...sorry bro it was at your expense....we know where she lives though.

Hey Steve Jonesei, I sure hope I'm able to get into my first 50" fish in the Hodag also. Wouldn't mind getting some nice wheels.

catch ya later,
Krappie

Posted 2/22/2002 12:01 AM (#23367)
Subject: How many over 48"?


1998 LOTW 48 incher ... on a Jackpot
1999 Vilas County, WI 48 incher...on a Jackpot

Hence the nickname.

Here's hoping I change my name to Jackpotjohnny52 one of these days! :)

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Posted 2/22/2002 7:22 AM (#23368)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Will2, I like the idea of a benchmark fish. It gives me something to strive for, and makes me fish a few hours longer each day. I thrive on the thought of catching fish out of the tough, clear water lakes knowing that when I do get a musky it is going to be a good one.

One question to all the guides. What are the chances you would have more 48" + fish if you were fishing more waters without the thought of having to put the client on a fish? Would your lake choices change?

Posted 2/23/2002 2:42 PM (#23369)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Brian,
I wish I could get one on the hooks that often!!!!!!!!!! I don't keep track of hours, just days on the water, but I know I'm nowhere near one 48"er per 80 hours fished. That says something for those Metro lakes or your ability to fish them - or both. Why aren't they seeing the boat more often?

Posted 2/24/2002 1:15 AM (#23370)
Subject: How many over 48"?


One of these times when I answer honestly someone is going to make me change my handle. I have actually only spent 5 days on the water fishing for musky. No 48's but I did get a very nice 47" a year and half ago .... since it was my first "good" musky I had a replica made and just got it in the mail a few days ago. Wow....great job of painting by Doug Petrousek...he's really an artist.

BUT SteveW has ASSURED me he will find a 48" for me when I am out that way fishing in July.... [;)] [:p]

BrianW

Posted 2/24/2002 8:50 AM (#23371)
Subject: How many over 48"?


Hey Doc I would apreciate if you could send me a picture of the replica so I can have it to compare to the real thing. Glad I could guide you to your nice fish. [;)]

Posted 2/24/2002 9:25 AM (#23372)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I went back and looked over 25 years of records of Muskies over 48" that have come to my boat by either myself or Clients and even surprised myself.When I got done with the count I came up with 71 Muskies from 48" to 54" since 1976.More astonishing was the average was close to 49"over all the bigger fish.Most of these have also been in the last 10 years alone and all from the Niagara River and Lake Erie. Capt. Larry

Posted 2/24/2002 1:47 PM (#23373)
Subject: How many over 48"?


STARTED FISHING MUSKIES 3 YEARS AGO AND I GOT 2, ONE 48 AND ONE 49. HELL YA THESE FISH ARE TROPHY'S. BUT NOT BIG ENOUGH TO GO ON MY WALL(GOT TO BE OVER 50).

HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK[:sun:]

Posted 3/22/2002 7:50 PM (#23374)
Subject: How many over 48"?


I think 48" fish are few and far apart for most anglers and a real trophy for anyone.I started registering fish on 5/98 with Muskies, Inc. 18 over 48 and I have pictures of everyone of them. Beautiful memories.