bull dawg rip offs
fish4musky1
Posted 7/30/2006 9:23 PM (#202898)
Subject: bull dawg rip offs

i was at gander and noticed they had a bunch of rip off bull dawgs. they looked just like dawgs but
with different colors and a different name. does anybody use these? i will get the name next time i
go back.
Pikopath
Posted 7/31/2006 1:47 AM (#202909 - in reply to #202898)
Subject: RE: bull dawg rip offs

Here in Europe there are a bunch of BD ripoffs.

http://www.cwcab.com/gh.htm

They have put on a hook on the back, or the possiblity to put one there, which is a very common mod for BD's here.

Another one:

http://www.mamut.com/homepages/Norway/1/15/leirudfiske/1609101.jpg

And a third one:
http://www.prologicfishing.com/productBig.asp?id=285

I havent tried any of them, so I cant say anything about their quality.

Michael

fish4musky1
Posted 7/31/2006 2:19 AM (#202910 - in reply to #202898)

that first one looks like the one i saw at gander. was musky innovations the first lure company with
this design out or were there companies overseas with these style lures out before musky innovations
started selling them?
Luca Cattin
Posted 7/31/2006 2:34 AM (#202913 - in reply to #202898)

Musky Innovations starts many years before.
Euro companies copy, take inspirations and sell what China made for them.
This is not only for dawgs.
Heikinheimo`
Posted 7/31/2006 4:14 AM (#202914 - in reply to #202909)

Pikopath - 7/31/2006 1:47 AM

Here in Europe there are a bunch of BD ripoffs.

http://www.cwcab.com/gh.htm

They have put on a hook on the back, or the possiblity to put one there, which is a very common mod for BD's here.

Another one:

http://www.mamut.com/homepages/Norway/1/15/leirudfiske/1609101.jpg

And a third one:
http://www.prologicfishing.com/productBig.asp?id=285

I havent tried any of them, so I cant say anything about their quality.

Michael

Well i have tried all of them and i can say the only one that is realy good is ProLogic Alen eel its as good as a BD the others are just #*#*.
mikie
Posted 7/31/2006 6:20 AM (#202916 - in reply to #202898)

http://p207.ezboard.com/fkentuckyanglingforumfrm6.showMessage?topic...

Like these 'Scorpions'? m
Got Esox?
Posted 7/31/2006 11:43 AM (#202966 - in reply to #202898)

I guess you can say it is a "dog eat dog" world, or should I say "Bulldog eat Bulldog" world. If a product comes out and is appealing to fish or fisherman and is productive, other impostures will follow. Look at how many "walk the dog" style baits exist or bucktail variations there are. I think it is a double edged sword for us musky fisherman. Sure having less baits on the market would keep our tackle boxes a little lighter, but more options help keep the bait market more competitive which keeps some prices down that would otherwise be higher. So if the imitations arise great, if they are not qualitive baits they will eventually go away. I only foresee more "rubberducky" style baits being made before the next popular bait to knockoff is made.
Raider150
Posted 7/31/2006 1:24 PM (#202984 - in reply to #202898)

I have fished with the ones from gander. they are made from a softer plastic (rubber) than bulldawgs. Muskies just shred them up. If you can get two fish with them your lucky. make sure you have a knife and propane torch with cuz your gonna need it for repairs
Made In China
Posted 8/6/2006 8:17 PM (#203927 - in reply to #202913)

Even the real Bull dawgs are now made in China...

Lindy M&G Spinnerbaits, made in Haiti...

Take a close look at those labels when you buy your tackle.
JWB475
Posted 8/7/2006 1:16 PM (#204028 - in reply to #203927)

Most of Bucher's line of tackle is also made in China...

Musky Mania tackle is all made in the USA though...

Edited by JWB475 8/7/2006 1:16 PM
fish4musky1
Posted 8/13/2006 11:10 AM (#204791 - in reply to #202898)

the fish dont care where the lure is made. as long as its durable and works good theres nothing wrong.
Mads Grosell
Posted 8/14/2006 1:55 PM (#204958 - in reply to #202898)

I wonder if not the Bulldawg came from inspiration of another lure? Prologic's Alien eel, is both different is action and weight - I Scandinavia, it is very popular for big pike. See the video clips on www.prologicfishing.com to see what I mean
BALDY
Posted 8/14/2006 2:49 PM (#204967 - in reply to #202984)

Raider150 - 7/31/2006 1:24 PM

I have fished with the ones from gander. they are made from a softer plastic (rubber) than bulldawgs. Muskies just shred them up. If you can get two fish with them your lucky. make sure you have a knife and propane torch with cuz your gonna need it for repairs ;)

These days, I'd be happy as hell if I could get two fish from a 'Dawg.

Got a couple buddies that nearly had to retire 'Dawgs that have never even seen teeth this week. Just working them and they were falling apart. Not durable at all.

I'm totally cool with somebody "ripping off" the Bulldawg if they make a superior product or it forces MI to improve the current product.

Edited by BALDY 8/14/2006 2:58 PM
Griff
Posted 8/18/2006 11:21 AM (#205585 - in reply to #202898)

Why not try an Ace Hell Tail, they have the same action as a Bull Dawg and cost about the same. The difference... designed in the UK they have a hardwood head (made in Europe) with a replaceable soft tail (made in the USA) that can be bought from R & H. Also you can use any color or style of tail. Seems they're pretty popular in Sweden for BIG Northerns. They now come in 3 sizes up to 7oz!

Edited by Griff 8/18/2006 11:22 AM
mikie
Posted 8/18/2006 12:27 PM (#205595 - in reply to #202898)

sounds like the Hell Tail is a knock off of the Muskie Treats!
Love my Treats baits! m

Edited by mikie 8/18/2006 12:27 PM
RiverMan
Posted 8/19/2006 10:27 PM (#205738 - in reply to #202898)

The BD is essentially an oversized grub. Grubs in all sizes have been around for a long, long, time. What the BD did tho was introduce the action of a soft plastic to musky fisherman and musky. Those that introduced the BD to the market should be given credit for doing so. I guess like someone else said if a bait works good enough there's going to be a whole bunch of people trying to copy it. It's too bad tho that some people are so blatant about it. There's a ton of ways you can make soft plastics with great action without making an exact copy of the lure.

jed v.
sworrall
Posted 8/19/2006 10:57 PM (#205742 - in reply to #205738)

Basically, the Dawg is a Creature with the jig built into the plastic. Creatures have been on the Muskie soft plastic scene since the 1970's. Not really much actually NEW out there, but many improvements on existing lures and ideas.
Posted 8/20/2006 11:34 AM (#205770 - in reply to #202898)

Talk about a rip off, look at the Beast Teasers. A rip off of a Llungen Tale if you ask me!! I guess there is no longer any originallity, just knocking people off is the new way of the muskie industry!! Kind of sucks if you ask me
sworrall
Posted 8/20/2006 12:37 PM (#205775 - in reply to #205770)

Guest, really now. Llungen Tails were hardly the first inline Muskie spinner made with silicone/round rubber type skirting, and the blade combinations sold on that lure have been around since .....a very long time ago. I remember BL Whoppertails with the double blades, and that was probably 15 years back or more. I owned a tackle company in the 70's and early 80's, and built and sold a lure that looks JUST like both the lures you mention called the Muskie Charmer. I have a couple Llungen tails and think they are a great lure, but they are HARDLY the first to use that style material or that design.

By the way, there are precious few patents in the lure industry, because there are so few possible designs. All one has to do if a patent exists is alter the bait a few percent from the original, and off you go selling the lure. If you want to get technical, the Spoon Hook was one of the first In Line spinners for Muskies, so NONE should exist other that that lure by your standards. If a company builds a new lure, it WILL be copied by others just like all the lures have been since the 1930's. The 'trick' is to build a BRAND NAME and make folks want your lure more than the others like it on the market.

There absolutely positively has not been much true 'originality' in the fishing world for a long time, when it comes down to it. Just innovation and improvement, and that's what sells product.

Zara Spook. Jackpot. Doc. Weagle. Home Wrecker. And so it goes!

We won't even approach the drop belly glider designs out there.

Crankbaits???

Spinnerbaits? How does one make those so different in the brands available that no one can complain as you did? Tuff Tail/Violent Strike has had BIG spinnerbaits since 1989. Anyone who introduced them after should be accused of copying? Of course not, spinnerbaits have been around for more than 50 years.

Make your choices which you will fish by the quality, action, and unique characteristics each builder attemts to add to the designs that have existed since the 30's and 40's. Then go fishing!
RiverMan
Posted 8/21/2006 11:55 AM (#205895 - in reply to #202898)

Yep, Steve is exactly right. And, I agree name recognition is what it's all about. Look at all the gliders on the market many of which are quite good and yet Hughes River continues to sell at top dollar.

Jed V.
duckman
Posted 8/26/2006 11:02 PM (#206758 - in reply to #202898)

For what it's worth let's give the originals some credit. There are few truly original musky lures out there anymore, just twists and/or variations on the original. The Bull Dawg was truly inspired by The Big Joe, and Little Joe by Live Action lures. They are still good lures too, the company has a new owner, but the baits are still the same essentially. I think both are decent lures and use them both (Live Action "Joe's") and Dawgs. I'm sure there are many varaiations. Don't say people are necessarily "ripping off" Bulldawgs, without giving some credit to Live Action baits which precede them. In the fishing world if it works, there will soon be imitators. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/29/2006 1:24 PM (#207126 - in reply to #202898)

I agree, it is really tough to say one copied the other. Regarding the Llungen tail deal, I have had a guy here locally making rubber skirted bucktails in the design/size of the 700 Buchertail(also not original) for years. He could have said Llungen ripped him off..... Beast Teasers are nice too, and I use them as well, and are just a different tool that give me reasons to spend more money. The one thing I do like about the Teasers is the dude is pretty cool about customizing the lure to the size/color that I want. He just made a few up in a double single hook version per my request. I wanted a lure in similar size to an Eagle Tail, with silicon skirting.

If you want to see lure copying, check out what has ben done to the Mudpuppy(was that even the first of its' kind?). I love that paople have copied this, my favorite style of topwater, so often. There are so many different models to choose from now, when just 10 years ago there were only 3 or 4.