Bulldawgs on LOTW
fishunt
Posted 7/25/2006 11:55 PM (#202218)
Subject: Bulldawgs on LOTW

Anyone with much experience with dawgs on LOTW. I haven't thrown them much up there and wondered if anyone has thoughts on their effectiveness. Can't believe they would be different than in the states but would like to hear your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!
IAJustin
Posted 7/26/2006 7:45 AM (#202241 - in reply to #202218)
Subject: RE: Bulldawgs on LOTW

I had good success with black or black/orange Mags last year -I would definately try them this time of year
WFO Outdoors
Posted 7/26/2006 8:11 AM (#202249 - in reply to #202218)

It seems over the years when to throw bulldawgs up on LOTW is Post frontal conditions, there is no reason to throw them any other time.
When the fish turn off that is when i get out the dawgs. Black/white, black /orange combe has been best.
blaster
Posted 7/26/2006 9:15 AM (#202273 - in reply to #202218)

I have 49 reasons that I like them. Black and chart, early July 2003.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_9673.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_9673.JPG (51KB - 102 downloads)
muskypuke
Posted 7/26/2006 9:46 AM (#202280 - in reply to #202218)

I love bulldawgs. Not thrown them in LOTW yet, but I gotta believe they are universally accepted, appreciated, pursued by esocids all around the globe.

By the way... beautiful fish blaster. I gotta ask though. What in the heck is going on with that sandwich on top of the cooler?! Are those cheetos or doritos on that thing?!! If so, you ARE hard core.
CiscoKid
Posted 7/26/2006 10:25 AM (#202289 - in reply to #202218)

A few years ago when I was at LOTW for my 1st and only time so far I threw a mag dawg for a bit. It was a day after we had raise a really nice fish off of s spot. When we approached the spot I put on a chartreuse and black shallow Mag Dawg, of which was the only dawg I had with me. First cast I got hit and thought I had her (we saw her cruising the break and I cast where she was heading). To my dislike it was a mid 30’s pike. A few minutes later I lost a mid 40’s musky on the jump that looked to be a silver (very, very silver in color). A few minutes later I had another follow. Then wouldn’t you know it I decided the lure just wasn’t working, and decided to work the darn thing off my split ring to be lost forever. Doh!

In my brief experience with them on LOTW (about 20-30 minutes max), they appeared to work.
d2bucktail
Posted 7/26/2006 12:50 PM (#202312 - in reply to #202218)

Magnum dawgs were on fire on LOTW earlier this month. My buddy and I got 4 muskies (38, 41, 46, 34) using them and missed several more - 3 different patterns worked for us on LOTW - 2 on orange with black back shallow dawg, pike pattern, and yellowish-chartruese with black back. Really liked the magnum shallow dawg - could work it thru the weed openings real well. Just picked up the LOTW Perch pattern at fleet farm last night. And plan to buy some more before next year's trip.

Word of advise. Muskies can really chew up a bulldawg so be prepared to do some repairing. The best is to melt the rubber back together once you get back to camp, but for quick repairs on the water you can glue them back together (wet or dry) if you have the right glue. This isn't intended to be a sales pitch but that's how it will probably sound. Hawg Seekers has a glue that works really well (see http://www.hawgseekers.com/#glue). My boat partner and I were both very glad we'd brought our glue along - used it almost daily to repair our dawgs. It dries hard so you'll want to try it to see if it's ok for you, but it really worked well for us.

The Bulldawg is one fish producing lure!!!!

D2Bucktail
blaster
Posted 7/27/2006 8:46 AM (#202432 - in reply to #202218)

Muskypuke, the sandwich is just a bunch of cut up cheddar cheese. It's a sandwich in the making. One of the guys that was fishing didn't think the spot was worth casting and decided to make lunch!! Worked out alright for me.
jlong
Posted 7/27/2006 11:43 AM (#202467 - in reply to #202289)

CiscoKid - 7/26/2006 10:25 AM

Then wouldn’t you know it I decided the lure just wasn’t working, and decided to work the darn thing off my split ring to be lost forever. Doh!

..... and I still get crap for using SNAPS. Heh heh.

As for the Bulldawgs..... I don't use them ANYWHERE... and LOTW would be the LAST place I'd give them a try.

Ya ya ya... bulldawgs flat out catch fish. But I don't think they are your best option for LOTW. But... if you like using Bulldawgs then by all means... use 'em. Saric stated on MH board that he'd never go to LOTW without a walleye collored shallow dawg.... so that's gotta be worth more than what I've contributed here.
CiscoKid
Posted 7/27/2006 11:53 AM (#202468 - in reply to #202467)

jlong - 7/27/2006 11:43 AM
..... and I still get crap for using SNAPS. Heh heh.

Ya ya ya... bulldawgs flat out catch fish. But I don't think they are your best option for LOTW. But... if you like using Bulldawgs then by all means... use 'em. Saric stated on MH board that he'd never go to LOTW without a walleye collored shallow dawg.... so that's gotta be worth more than what I've contributed here.

I worked it off the split ring only because I was lazy and didn't switch out the store supplied ring with a better one. Haven't been lazy since, or at least with the split rings.

Troyz.
Posted 7/27/2006 12:24 PM (#202475 - in reply to #202218)

Jlo, yes bulldawg do catch fish, and some have real magical properties. I could never buy a fish on a dawg, but in the last 3 years I have become a big believer. I have one that had a 50" average going till last saturday, after seeing them sunning on rocks ol walleye went swimming. 39 3/4", 5 minutes later lost a big fish, sat down to perform surgery, next cast 45 1/2". Then moved a monster hot in the 8, a little boat noise spooked her, don't know if she would have ate but was sure left wondering. Dawg work great, any place any time. It like the credit card commercial, NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM.

Troyz
kreegz
Posted 8/1/2006 10:29 PM (#203249 - in reply to #202218)

didn't happen on LOTW.. but Eagle... caught a 41" in heavy cabbage... just kinda jigging it through holes...

raised a ... maybe 50" fish off another cabbage bed later in the day, (always here people talk about use a bulldog as a throw back lure)... threw it in the area i saw it run off to... had her charging at me turned off at the boat....

one cast later... came in again... figure 8.. followed four 8s... and swam off... yeah.. bulldogs work
Rolex24
Posted 8/2/2006 6:54 AM (#203276 - in reply to #202218)

I'm also in the Tried it but haven't caught anything on a Bulldog club. It's hard for me to keep one on for long due to lack of confidence.

I generally don't throw lures over two and a half ounces so casting them, for me, can be a little bit of a pain as I feel the need to side arm them with more of a lobbing/"underhand" motion.....which is sometimes tough with three guys in the boat.

The other item I'm concerned with is how to work them. I have tried to use them more like a jerkbait....should I just reel them straight back to the boat and let it swim.

I have a medium in perch......sparkle green top with orange belly and tail. I have confidence in the color, just not the lure.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/2/2006 7:25 AM (#203278 - in reply to #202218)

No reason they wouldn't work as well as any jerkbait. I haven't tried them on LOTW but have had success on the Winnipeg River(same water) with them. I am not the biggest fan of the dawgs, but they can be worked quickly, efficiently, and cover a depth on some of the very highly pressured spots thats is not getting covered regularily. I'll definately have some along come Friday.
kreegz
Posted 8/2/2006 11:20 AM (#203319 - in reply to #202218)

short pull, short pull, pause.... long pull, pause, short,short, pause, long pull... worked for me
bnelson
Posted 8/2/2006 11:29 AM (#203321 - in reply to #202218)

it still boggles my mind why guys aren't throwing more dawgs...on allll lakes...The Shallow Mag can be worked over cabbage, rocks etc at a nice slow enticing speed...nothing rolls, quivers and moves like a dawg thru the water...dawgs work on all lakes and big muskies love to eat them....
black and orange is a favorite in all water clarities...
muskytopwater
Posted 8/16/2006 9:11 AM (#205238 - in reply to #202218)

it still boggles my mind why guys aren't throwing more dawgs...on allll lakes...

bnelson - You got it right!!

I am always amazed that the more fish I catch on Dawgs the more I think I can share some of the great news on these boards. When I first started Musky fishing I thought my partner was an idiot for throwing the Dawg - little did I know then - I have repented for my earlier sins and now it is always the first cast & last cast of the day.

Amazingly, then as I scroll down this thread I see the spinnerbait guys and the bucktail guys and everyone else complain about dawgs??

The Dawgs work great most of the time - and then there are other baits that will work as well when the Dawgs will not produce - maybe the Muskys arent hungry for a big ball of rubber - maybe they want some steel or wood or whatever!! No reason to "complain" about the Dawg.

I never really understand why anyone would complain about one the best Musky fishing lures ever made??

Anyway in an effort to be productive.....

I am not sure if you guys have heard about the mini Dawgs that are starting to come in but I think they will be one of my go to lures for "other species" as well.

Then again - since my home water is so productive maybe I WILL learn something from these boards so when I travel to less productive waters or pressured water I will know what will catch Muskys there - chances are as Saric says I will make sure to include a Dawg in the game plan!!

LOL
muskytopwater
Posted 8/16/2006 9:12 AM (#205239 - in reply to #202432)

blaster

Great Fish!!