Late Sept Canadian "BiG Fish" hunt- open spots.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/25/2006 4:42 AM (#202086)
Subject: Late Sept Canadian "BiG Fish" hunt- open spots.

Mike Hofmann & I have booked a fall trophy muskie hunt on a Canadian Flyin lake (out of Nestor Falls), The flyin/cabin deposit is in and we are going come hell or high water (I had to cancel last year because of work). This is the last week available for this season ( Sept 23-->Sept 30th). They close the lake on October 1st. This lake is very similar to Crow & Dryberry, i.e., a pristine clear water trout lake (~4 mi long & 2 mi wide, max depth ~150ft). However, it has very low pressure because there are only two flyin cabins on the lake. The cabin we have booked sleeps 5, so we have 3 open bunks available- quoted cost per person is a special rate of $760 for 7 days(normally $820). The lake is better known for trophy lakers and smallies.

This will be my 4th trip since 1996, the previous 3 trips were 5 day trips. I've personally caught & released a 51" fish here. However, I've also seen two very real +60" fish here, one on the main lake and the other on a portage lake, i.e., fish that unless I catch one, will continue to haunt me until the end of my muskie fishing days. Two smallie fisherman reportedly caught & released a ~67" fish. They only had conservation licenses and measured it in the water using a fishing pole.They told the flyin operator they were afraid to even try to get it into the boat-they cut the line..... (yeah- I know it sounds like a good fish story!) Mike also lost a very huge fish here on a connected lake. We are going back because we just have too! It was Mike Hofmann and this lake that got me hooked on muskie fishing in 1996. So I figure the 10th anniversary could be magic!

If you want to join us, send me an PM here on MF.

Have fun!

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 7/28/2006 1:52 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 9/4/2006 10:14 AM (#207782 - in reply to #202086)
Subject: RE: Late Sept Canadian "BiG Fish" hunt- open spots.

Tick, tick, tick- 19 days to touchdown on the Fly-in lake. Still just Mike & I, but that's OK too. Menu plans are falling into place. Sorting the tackle boxes. Fueled by egoistic hedonism, I just added a couple of old bucktails to the Eleatic mix, even thought the focus will probably be Alien's, Zam's and Zalt's.

The plan seems to be working this year.

Have fun!
Al

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

mikie
Posted 9/4/2006 3:31 PM (#207812 - in reply to #202086)

Al, it sounds like a fine opportunity, I do wish I had the funds to do it. Good luck on your trip and I hope you bag several very very large fish. m
Sab
Posted 9/4/2006 11:11 PM (#207862 - in reply to #202086)

Sounds like Kay Lake.If there was anyway,I could get out of work,I'd be joining you guys.Have a good time,and stick a big one.
chuck
Posted 9/6/2006 7:11 PM (#208127 - in reply to #202086)

I am a rooky (3 years and 8 fish), but this is the lake that got me hooked on musky fishing. We went to the lake and saw 60-70 fish during the week (coldest week in August in Ontario history). It was a cold front of record proportions. Highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. We caught 10 fish between 4 rookies (4 for me). I saw a similar fish in the portage lake as we floated up to a steep shorline with a lot of blowdowns, I threw one last cast along the shorleine and saw a fish that left me shaking for 5 minutes. It is truly an amazing place. I am heading to dryberry with my own boat on Saturday, so we will see if this matches this gem. This is also where I learned to hook a pink 4-6" pork rind on the end of a bucktail. It will trigger the followers with a little extra motion and smell. I actually had a morning where my buddy had 12 follows in the front of the boat and I couldn't get a follow. As I was holding my busktail over the side of the boat (barely in the water and flipping through my other rods to get a different lure, a 37" musky nailed my bucktail. We had no idea what we were doing then and casted mostly bucktails, but I kringe when I think about what a jackpot or another slow top water could have done.

Any tips for those who have visited dryberry?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 9/7/2006 5:20 AM (#208179 - in reply to #208127)

Sssssssssh- not so loud! Yes -it is Kay.

Chuck- I agree 100%, a rare gem. Sounds like you might have seen the same fish my daughter had up on the portage lake (The spot sounds the same too-fast drop to 80' ~ 30' from shore, almost a wall w/ trees in the water and also laying on the bottom in 80-100'). I can still see the look on her face! There's a really beautiful cabbage bed ~ 50 yards from the left end of the "wall" and there's a big rock reef on the right side of the "wall". The real challenge if she bites will be to keep her out of those tree's. You can bet we will work that shoreline hot & heavy. I think an Alien will get her attention.

Good luck on Dryberry- that's another one I'd like to try someday. Use what you learned on Kay, i.e., fish location relative to structure, etc. I think KarlOutdoors has fished Dryberry- you may want to send him a PM.

Have fun!
Al