Wiley's & Terminators...question
MuskyPippo
Posted 6/19/2006 10:54 PM (#197062)
Subject: Wiley's & Terminators...question

Hey guys,

I have a Terminator crankbait that has seen it's share of teeth and after many attempts to revive her she is not recouping like she used to. So because Terminators are so hard to get, I was thinking of signing a replacement from the minors in the form of a Wiley Crank. Just wondering if anyone had some input on the difference between the two...Pro's and Con's to the replacement and any differences you have found. I am probably going to order a Wiley or two anyway but just figured a little input never hurt.

Thanks in advance,

Phil C.
Shep
Posted 6/20/2006 3:12 PM (#197232 - in reply to #197062)
Subject: RE: Wiley's & Terminators...question

I have never owned a Terminator, but have caught a St Clair beast on one, about 6 or 7 years ago. Nice lure, and the guide ran it to 7 MPH that day, and it never blew out.

I do own several Wileys, and have caught fish on them. Great lure, whether straight or jointed. They run good off the shelf. I would compare it to the Terminator. I can't really tell if there are differnces other tan paint jobs are nicer on the Wiley, as I recall.
BACKLASH
Posted 6/21/2006 5:18 PM (#197404 - in reply to #197062)

Hey Phil! Yes those Terminators are tough to get. I've been using stalkers of late. Been working well.
MuskyPippo
Posted 6/21/2006 10:36 PM (#197438 - in reply to #197404)

Hey Bob, if you say so, then I'm sold! Already ordered some from Smokey's, just waiting now. Having my Terminator out of play felt like I was missing a major piece of my arsenal. Definitely some great colors on the Wiley's too. Thanks guys!
Pikiespawn
Posted 6/27/2006 9:49 AM (#198252 - in reply to #197062)

Both really great musky catchers. Dale Wiley and Rocketman are both top notch. I have both in my aresenal. Only difference that i have noted is the terminators sometimes need weight in front of them, if you want to run them at a deeper (10') level. I think they were designed that way, primarily for St. Clair, but catch fish anywhere. Dales baits generally run slightly deeper and he makes several models for different situations. I would also recommend buying Wiley baits. Rocketman recently moved his world headquarters and i would think he will continue making baits. He also paints strippers nails, if that business picks up he may slow down on terminators due to lack of energy. best, pikiespawn
nxtcast
Posted 7/3/2006 6:15 PM (#199115 - in reply to #197062)

I have used and own both baits.

Terminators
Each bait has it time and place. The terminators have worked great for me over the years on Lake St. Clair. I have had very good luck early with the T2 and them into July the T3. When fall comes around the TX. You have to put your order in around the new year when he opens up for business. They are worth the wait and Kurt has the quality of the BEST.

Wileys
I have had my best luck on the paper eyes, The older ones are better quality than the new ones. I have about 20 of them the lips are glued in wrong and they don't work to good until you bend the eye over 60 degrees. I was looking on his site the other day that said each bait was tuned on a rod. I don't know how.

If it were me I would keep the terminators and order some more this winter. I know Kurt said there is going to be a price increase this coming year! But his baits are worth every penny. I love his web site also a great guy! My biggest fish have came on the T3's
todd_yester
Posted 7/3/2006 9:07 PM (#199145 - in reply to #197062)

Wileys over teminators.

Just got back from St. Clair for a week and put 70 fish in the boat. All but 10 were on the 5.5 inch jointed wiley. We put 4 over 50 in the boat. I got my personal best, a 56"er. Then I picked up the slider and there was a 50.5"er on that line. Two 50's at one time.

Todd
MuskyPippo
Posted 7/3/2006 10:56 PM (#199181 - in reply to #199145)

Ok, wow that starts a whole new ordeal, how fast can I get to St. Clair!

Thanks guys I'm really enjoying this input! Keep it coming!
Rolex24
Posted 7/7/2006 7:48 AM (#199646 - in reply to #197062)

We use both....and we don't troll at all! We use mainly the smaller Musky Killer straight and jointed Wiley's and T-2 Terminators. Got our first Wiley's in like 1995 and first Terminators in 1997. The Terminators were heavier than the Wiley's and since we were casting they'd feel really heavy after a while....so the Rocketman came up with a way to lighten them (hole in the nose filled with lightweight compound) and still use the stronger wood for the body he prefers. They worked great, and how many lure companies would go through that kind of trouble for a customer......NONE!

Both are great lures, with great paint. Rocketman's paint jobs are second to none and just plain beautiful. But nobody paints a Strawberry pattern like Wiley. We grew up using Heddon Wood Vamps so we're really partial to Strawberry, Black Ribs Perch and Red Ribs Perch and have had both companies attempt to copy the Heddon paint schemes we love and both have come through for us.

Terminators are more durable due to the wood being more dense than the cedar that Wiley uses (hook rubs show up quick and deep) but that doesn't stop us from buying them and truly the action for a caster (slower speed) may be better with the lighter Wileys. And I personaly don't mind the hook rub....I think it looks cool.

You can't go wrong with either and I'm sure you'll be happy.
joe m
Posted 7/7/2006 9:26 AM (#199676 - in reply to #197062)

I have both and prefer to use the Wileys. They run right out of the package. I can run them up to 10 mph with no problem.