Garcia Record
jvkop2
Posted 6/15/2006 8:29 PM (#196501)
Subject: Garcia Record

Does anyone use the RCN60 for muskies? I'm not talking about the high capacity version, just the normal version that holds 145 yards of 14 lb test.

Thanks,

Joel
ulbian
Posted 6/15/2006 8:53 PM (#196505 - in reply to #196501)
Subject: RE: Garcia Record

Joel,
Yes...I use both. Love them. Very very smooth reel. At first the power handle was awkward on the HC models but once I got used to them I now am going to eventually put power handles on the Regular Records as well. Very solid reel. Definately worth the money spent on them...but it is a economic high end baitcaster that I'd put up against other reels that are much more pricey.

-Bob
muskyboy
Posted 6/15/2006 9:36 PM (#196514 - in reply to #196501)

Yes, love it at that price point despite lower line capacity and I have it spooled with 130 pound Bronzeback for casting. I put it right up there with other top end reels
sputterbug
Posted 6/15/2006 9:42 PM (#196518 - in reply to #196501)

Yep, using the RN61 with a power handle and 80 lb Cortland. I like it as much as my TE although that's kind of apples & oranges because of the gear ratios. The Record will turn over 30" of line per crank so I like it for gliders, jerkbaits, bulldawgs, and almost everything. If there's a real hard pulling bait, the TE is better. But if I had to fish with only one, I'd take the Record with me.
Got Esox?
Posted 6/22/2006 9:07 PM (#197577 - in reply to #196501)

I will second the motion that if I had to take 1 reel with me the Record would get the nod. I love the power handle too. I may be turning all of my ABU's over to the Power handle to ease the strain on my wrists (carpal tunnel) plus there great at night and in colder weather when I have struggled to find the reel handle with numb fingers. I have to say the record can flat out outcast all of my reels by 30%. I am sold.

Edited by Got Esox? 6/22/2006 9:08 PM
jlong
Posted 6/23/2006 9:22 AM (#197633 - in reply to #197577)

Just took my new Record to the lake last night. Very smooth and casts a country mile!!! I put a 150 yards of 50# Cortland Spectron on it... so there is plenty of line capacity for me.

Only "issue" I have is the thumbar/thumbrest thing flips up after every cast. What's up with that??? Anyone else have this problem... or is it unique to mine? Nothing a dab of superglue can't fix... but then when my WIFE gets a backlash... it will be tougher to remove (heh heh heh) without being able to raise the hood for the mechanical work.

The only question I have yet is.... How long will it take before it turns into a Meat Grinder? Just looks too similar to the ABU 6500 for me to think it will stay smooth for more than a season or two. But... one can hope. Out of the box... it is an outstanding reel and I'm happy with it.
CiscoKid
Posted 6/23/2006 10:35 AM (#197648 - in reply to #196501)

The thumb rest on top of mine flips up also, and I put a dab of superglue on it. The glue only last for awhile before I start flipping it up again. Why can’t the thumb rest on the Record be the same as that on the C3? If it can’t be made to stay down I say make it permanently in place.

Otherwise I also think it is a very nice reel! Been using it since May 19, and I couldn’t be happier. The thing casts like no other reel I have owned. Only time will tell us what kind of durability it will have. Also pleased with the newly designed C3, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the Record.