Millionaire Help
esoxaddict
Posted 5/22/2006 9:46 AM (#193095)
Subject: Millionaire Help

Well, after less than a season in my rotation, what was my favorite reel is now on the POS list...

Working a glider on Saturday, and I noticed that something just didn't feel right...

Sure enough, about every third or fourth tap the anti reverse would stop working and you could turn the handle backwards. It's slipping so bad the reel is basically useless.

I've heard of other people having this problem as well.

I can't imagine anything is worn out, its a new reel. I cleaned it and re-oiled it at the end of last season and there was nothing worn, broken, or otherwise compromised insisde the reel. It worked just fine the first few days of this season.

Any ideas? For what that $^$^& cost, it should hold up better than it has! I was going to buy a luna this season, but now? I think this will be my last Diawa product.

greenduck
Posted 5/22/2006 8:40 PM (#193204 - in reply to #193095)
Subject: RE: Millionaire Help

Usually the problem is a dirty one way roller bearing. You need to get to it by taking off the handle. It's inside. It needs to be oiled, not greased, after you thoroughly clean it. This is an area people forget to clean sometimes. Good luck.
Clark A
Posted 5/22/2006 11:51 PM (#193222 - in reply to #193095)

If the Millionaire you are describing is the 300 CVZ, welcome to the club. It does need to be cleaned a few times a year to prevent that irratating backreeling problem. I WD-40 blast the anti-reverse bearing out a few times a season, and haven't had a problem since. I realize that a $209.95 reel shouldn't have this disorder, but that is the only glitch I've had. If I could afford a total replacement of reels, I wouldn't. The difficulties we have had with Daiwa pale in comparison with the problems that my friends have had with Shimano's and post 1995? Garcia's with moderate use. I will still use my 30 year old (relatively moderate tweaking) Abu Garcia 6500C this coming season. I'm still a big fan of the push button spool release, but since we "palm" the reel with our left hand, reel with our right hand, why does Shimano put their spool release thumb bar that is not the full width of the spool on the right hand side? I guess I'm a freak and lazy since I cast over my left shoulder and do not want to do the rod/reel swap a few hundred times a day (?do we really cast that many times a day?) A few years ago I decided I needed a "cheap" back up reel and puchased the Cablelas Shimano 400 knockoff. I did have my best evening on the water with that reel (4 floppy Lunges), but there were difficulties. The reel locked up twice, the drag wouldn't tighten down as much as I would like it (I do put the mono backing on the super braids), but the best was that that non-direct pressure I put on the thumb bar with my left thumb caused the pressure pins that level the thumb bar out started to pop out. That was fun when I tried to engage free spool on a fish. I used my friends Shimano 400 for a day and noticed that the bar ending up going "Kitty Wumpuss", since I'm totally incapable of using my right thumb/right arm for casting. I did replace it for him, ohh well. I do have TD Luna 300 on the way at a "such a deal" price to match my new G.Loomis. The rod supposedly lists for $335, which is ridiculous, but I got it for LOTS less. The rod and reel where not pilfered out of a boat on Mille Lacs or the Fridley MN area, and both "Such a deals" came from a friend that is friends with some Reps. (Mayberry-one hand washes the other/Real World). I will post ( or hopefully someone will post) if the Luna 300 handle is interchangable with the Millionaire 300CVZ handle. If it is, then the Millionaire 300 CVZ will be the Cat's Pajamas!! Sorry for the long rant...bad day at labor camp.
Derrys
Posted 5/23/2006 6:10 AM (#193236 - in reply to #193095)

Last year at a Sportsman's Show, I bought a new Garcia. It was light blue, and a new model for last year, but I can't recall the name right now.

I used it for about two weeks, when it suddenly would barely reel in if there was any weight pulling on the line. If you had a fish on, you couldn't hardly turn the reel's handle.

I sent it to Mike's Reel Repair in Hackensack, MN., and they told me it was too new, and that they didn't have parts for it yet. They said they had to send it back to the factory or something. Well they must have sent it all the way back to Sweden, as they've had that reel for about 6 weeks now, and they can't even tell me when I'll get it back. Who knows what I'll have to pay to get it fixed, although I shouldn't have to pay a dime, as it broke almost immediately.

Good luck to you.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/24/2006 12:28 PM (#193509 - in reply to #193095)

Chuck Nelson, where you at?
reelman
Posted 5/24/2006 1:58 PM (#193530 - in reply to #193095)

Derrys, Call Abu Reel Repair at 1-877-777-3850 and find out what is going on with your reel! Abu gaurentees 48 hour turn around on warranty work (which this sounds like it should be) once the reel reaches there shop in Iowa. My guessis that the reel either hasn't been sent in by the shop you sent it to or it is sitting in Minnesota waiting for someone to send it back to you.
C_Nelson
Posted 5/24/2006 7:40 PM (#193590 - in reply to #193095)

Jeff, I am here now. Dropped you an e-mail back. Check it out and let me know what you think.

As far as the light blue Abu goes that is being discussed, that would be the one of the "D" series reels. The best thing to do is to send it back to the factory like reelman said. I would guess that either the place in Minnesota lost it or is just sitting on it. The big question is, can they prove that they sent it back to Iowa. Once it gets into the guys hands in Minnesota, they are responsible for the reel. The best thing to have done would have been to send it back to Derrys and let him send it in. That would have taken them out of th picture of any liability on the reel. Derrys would have had the reel back in just a few short days.

Chuck
Derrys
Posted 5/26/2006 8:24 PM (#193937 - in reply to #193095)

Update on my reel.

I called the number listed in an earlier post, but got an answering machine. I left my name and address, and got a call back later. They needed to know which plant Mike's Reel repair sent my reel to.

I called Mike's this morning and told the lady there that I had a phone number for Garcia, but needed to know which plant my reel was sent to. After a short moment of silence, she asked if she could call me back. A while later, she called me and said that SHE had called the factory, and that they were shipping my reel back to Mike's today. She then said that I should expect it back to me next week.

The whole story just seems fishy, no pun intended, and I will never do business with them again. I had sent them another reel and sent with it a complete list of how to check it to see the problem I had. I called them a couple weeks later, and they told me it was fine. I checked it over when I got it back from them and it was still busted. What a rinky-dink operation.

So to anyone who has a broken reel, I DO NOT reccomend Mike's Reel Repair in Hackensack, MN.
Musky_Slayer
Posted 5/27/2006 2:57 PM (#193971 - in reply to #193095)

happens to my 253-cv-z whenever i set hook. had it happen on a fish once.. very scary feeling, luckily I was fishing a small river from shore and could thumb it and walk up stream until i got it to engauge. if i was still in the canoe i would have lost her for surer. this is my favorite reel but i quit using it, i'll try what was said here. If someone could post a diagram of the reel and where to spray that would be huge. I had it written off as dead. thanks
REDCHAMP
Posted 5/29/2006 6:57 PM (#194119 - in reply to #193095)

I can understand wanting to lube and repair it yourself but send it to Daiwa and they'll repair it and send it back for free. I have 4 of these with no problems what so ever other than a worn out drag a year ago. Daiwa repaired and shipped free.
Mark