Which crankbaits and twitchbaits?
seaman
Posted 5/19/2006 11:01 AM (#192780)
Subject: Which crankbaits and twitchbaits?

Whaich crankbaits and twitchbaits are must haves? Looking at the Rollie & Helens catalogue is a little overwhelming since there are literally hundreds to choose from. I currently use DDD's but I'm looking to expand, anybody have any suggestions?

Doug
tuffy1
Posted 5/19/2006 12:25 PM (#192792 - in reply to #192780)
Subject: RE: Which crankbaits and twitchbaits?

As far as cranks, you can't go wrong with the Depth Raiders. (please don't get into the ROI vs Pre ROI debate guys).

Minnow baits, I would say 10" Jakes, 9" Grandmas, Slammers, Lip Rippers to start off. Oh yeah, and a few Rapala Super Shad Raps.

That should be a start. I can't think straight at the moment. Ready to get out of work and FISH!!!!!!
BNelson
Posted 5/19/2006 12:27 PM (#192793 - in reply to #192780)

cranks,,, like Joel said...get some Draiders!

Joel covered the twitch baits but I really like the Big Games and Cranes also...
dogboy
Posted 5/19/2006 2:19 PM (#192805 - in reply to #192780)

Jakes are a must, grandmas are cool too.
I really like big fork deep pulsators, good crank\twitch baits. work really well trolled too!
As mentioned, big games are nice too.
I dont mind slamrs either. again, good twitch\crank\trollers.

I guess it depends on if you want a crank with rattles or not, usually silent I go with wood, and rattles obviously plastic, but you can get silent plastic cranks too.

minnow\cranks are a big part of my arsenal due to their versatility. deep or shallow, twitched vs straight retrieve, fast or slow. cant beat em

Edited by dogboy 5/19/2006 2:24 PM
BigMo
Posted 5/19/2006 8:30 PM (#192846 - in reply to #192780)

Seaman,

A "newer" one not mentioned yet....Cranky Nitro by H2O Tackle. Roger did a heck of a job on this one.

I have two of the 6" Crankys, one "slow" rise model and one "normal" rise (different wood if I recall right - but don't quote me). Threw them in the pool a few weeks ago. Great profile, terrific action on the crank/twitch/rip, great paint jobs, well constructed. With not much tinkering, almost neutral buoyant on the "slow" rise model will not be too hard. 8" version available.

I will have one on for the northern opener next weekend.
seaman
Posted 5/19/2006 9:11 PM (#192849 - in reply to #192780)

Thanks guys, I'll look into all of these baits mentioned, I really appreciate the input.

Doug