muskie tournament trails
dave unlogged
Posted 5/11/2006 6:25 AM (#191304)
Subject: muskie tournament trails

I am considering fishing some tournaments this year and probably more next year and was wondering if some of you could recommend a good series. I am in central WI. All I ever heard about was the PMTT, but when I look at the payback percentage, it is only about 43.5%. I see they have a free entry championship and other incentives are available, and I know it takes money to run something like that, but that seems very low. (Or am I missing something?) I looked at the Ironman and WMT also, and the WMT looks more my speed with a 75% payback. The championship isn't free, but I'd pay the $300 entry fee to get one of 66 tickets to win a new Ranger. Can anyone with experience fishing either of these steer me in the right direction?

Dave

jonnysled
Posted 5/11/2006 7:49 AM (#191317 - in reply to #191304)
Subject: RE: muskie tournament trails

i've fished a few of the WMT tournaments and know a lot of the anglers and the promoters. there have been many debates online so i won't go into any of the process that you should be able to find otherwise with a search of this site ... there should be lots of information on past threads if you take the time to look.

my experience with the WMT has been good overall. i fished the mani and boom tourneys last year and will probably do those along with minocqua this year. good people and fair, honest competition and professionally run and growing like crazy.

jon
Shep
Posted 5/11/2006 8:33 AM (#191327 - in reply to #191317)

I fished the WMT in the past, and this series has really stepped into the forefront of muskie tourney's. IMHO, it's the best series, and offers the anglers the best opportunity to make money. All tourneys are in WI, so there are no long distance logistics to deal with. Lots of opportunities, although now you have to get your entries in early, as they are filling them up. The WMT is surging way ahead of every other muskie tourney series.

PMTT is a good trail, but nothing has changed much. Payouts remain the same as they have been, and they are not fishing new waters. I believe the PMTT needs to step it up if they want to continue to lay claim to the title of the best trail out there.
Ironman Musky John
Posted 5/11/2006 9:29 AM (#191347 - in reply to #191304)

I understand that being from Central Wisconsin, you may be interested in events close to home, but the IMTT is an excellent tourny for the money. $160.00 per boat wth 100% payout....we don't make a dime on the trail. For $80.00 you'd get free beer at the rules meeting, a free dinner after the tourny, a 4 pack of Sprecher beer/soda and a great door prize....even if you don't win any money, you'd be getting at least 1/2 of your entry fee back in stuff.

3 rods allowed as is trolling and or live bait....fish how you want!

We also have a deal with Comfort Suites in Pewaukee on discounted rooms for out-of-towners. Please check out the website if you get a chance.
Johannes
Posted 5/11/2006 10:57 AM (#191361 - in reply to #191304)

I agree with Shep. The WMT is slowly becoming the best tourney out there. The payouts, the grand slam, the anglers and so on...

It also seems to be getting better every year. No tournament matches their payouts, or gives away TWO Rangers at the Championship.

Tom has built a good thing. I am looking forward to the events this year.

dave unlogged
Posted 5/11/2006 1:00 PM (#191412 - in reply to #191304)

Two Rangers? I only saw the drawing for one and $40,000 cash for first. Is the boat part of the $40,000?
Johannes
Posted 5/11/2006 1:06 PM (#191415 - in reply to #191304)

They give one to the winners and have a drawing for all that qualified for the championship for the other.

Dan Buss
Posted 5/11/2006 1:15 PM (#191421 - in reply to #191415)

This year the championship changed and the anglers voted for cash prize rather than the Ranger so first place is $40K, so you cant buy your own boat if you want. There will still be a drawing for a boat. Every event an angler competes in they get a ticket for the boat that is drawn at the Championship, must be present to win. So if you fish 10 events you get 10 tickets for the boat.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/11/2006 4:00 PM (#191494 - in reply to #191304)

In my opinion, a tour that prides itself in giving back to the local fishery is also one to look into. Some do. The PMTT is doing just that here at Petenwell, and I couldn't be happier!!

I would rather fish a tourney trail that restocks or donates to habitat protection/rehabilitation, and has a much lower prize package, than one that does nothing for the local water fished. I would also choose a tounrey that puts the health of the individual fish in front of anything else as well, and that means I would only enter a judge boat non transport event. I like how Paul Hartman runs the events in MN.

That said, I think all of the trails have been known to give back, but the need has to be made aware too.

Edited by Reef Hawg 5/11/2006 10:59 PM
Esox2hart
Posted 5/11/2006 5:29 PM (#191520 - in reply to #191304)

For A beginer the Ironman is way togo. Great time, cheaper entry, Great guys and beer.
Any questions email me
Thanks Mike
Steve Cady
Posted 5/11/2006 8:25 PM (#191544 - in reply to #191304)

Take a look at Hartmann's new trail for 2005. If you are in it for the competition AND helping the resource this is by far the best event. No the payouts aren't as high but when you are a guy like me and don't catch em anyays it doesn't matter.

The MMTT has done more than any other "Large multi Tournament Trail" that I know of.

www.minnesotamuskietournament.com

That said the PMTT has donated over $5000.00 total that I know of in the past few years to: Brainerd Chapter of Muskies Inc to help produce a informational video on Muskies, North Metro chapter general fund, The Muskie symposium and more... not too shabby

Steve Cady
Posted 5/11/2006 8:27 PM (#191545 - in reply to #191304)

The above link should be www.mnmuskietournament.com
Aaron
Posted 5/12/2006 2:00 AM (#191597 - in reply to #191304)

I have been fishing the WMT for a few years now and it is a blast. Lots of fun, meet great new people. Tom and Beth do a great job running them.
Torunaments start this weekend in Madison. And as far as I know there are still openings in these two tournys (Monona, Waubesa) so come on down and enjoy.
As for the other tourny trails I can't say good or bad , I've never fished them sorry.

Hope to see you this weekend.
happy hooker
Posted 5/12/2006 5:37 AM (#191602 - in reply to #191304)

Lot of the regular trail guys say a good year is 'breaking even',, If your in this for the fun and competition especially for us guys over 40 who cant play full court basketball anymore,,,Im gonna try and do has many of Paul Hartmans MMT tourneys has my work sced permits,,,With this trail you have a chance to win some money AND fish some of North Americas premire trophy waters,,Vermillion, Cass,Leech,Mille Lacs,Minnetonka,,,theres not a bad stop in the bunch your capable of catching your biggest fish ever and cashing a check....Paul also dedicates alot to the resource,,,
dave unlogged
Posted 5/12/2006 7:21 AM (#191618 - in reply to #191304)

I would love to fish some of those famous muskie waters in Minnesota someday, but I think I'll start closer to home. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Reef Hawg, did you find out what the PMTT is donating to the stocking program? I am just curious.