Fluoro....WHAT makes it good to use?
VMS
Posted 5/8/2006 11:13 AM (#190782)
Subject: Fluoro....WHAT makes it good to use?

I've gone back and forth on this, and am going to be using Fluoro again this year.

Sounds like many really like it...but here is the question: WHY does it seem to produce more fish? Can it really be that you have a 12" - 2 foot section in front of your lure that separates seeing the line?

I'm not sold on that aspect yet... Could it possibly be that the fluoro dampen's the noise at all? Is it action of the lure, etc?

What are your thoughts?

Steve
DJS
Posted 5/8/2006 11:33 AM (#190789 - in reply to #190782)
Subject: RE: Fluoro....WHAT makes it good to use?

Does it really matter what makes it better? A lot of guys who spend more time on the water than I swear it makes a diffrence in certain situations and that is good enough for me.
VMS
Posted 5/8/2006 12:05 PM (#190793 - in reply to #190782)

It is more a question of intrigue....I like to know how and WHY things work, not just knowing that they work...

Steve
esoxaddict
Posted 5/9/2006 11:47 AM (#190975 - in reply to #190782)

Steve

I think it makes a difference in pressured water -- isloates the lure from the line.

More importantly, I believe since its neutrally buoyant it doesn't impede the action of the lure like wire or 7 strand can.

I also wonder if the combination of wire leaders, snaps, and swivels may make some noise that flourocarbon does not.

Edited by esoxaddict 5/9/2006 11:49 AM
Jason Bovee
Posted 5/9/2006 12:59 PM (#190984 - in reply to #190782)

The one possible advantage of flouro might be better lure action with some baits. As for being 'invisable', that may be true but it does not matter to the fish anyway as they ARE NOT leader shy. As for the wire leader and the components on them making noise that potentially spook fish, NOT! I have never heard anything that a muskie eats rattle, but people use rattling baits all the time with sucess. So the miniscule amount of noise that may be given off from your leader will not hinder your catch rate, and in fact may even help as it is probably is nothing more than little clicks which in turn draws attention from fish. Jason Bovee
Bulletproof Tackle
Posted 5/16/2006 7:38 PM (#192358 - in reply to #190782)

Whats up Steve? Another great day to be alive...hope all is well. The number one reason I choose to use fluoro is because of the durabilty. The 100 Climax fluoro that I use is extreemly tough stuff. The fluoro dose not kink like wire. It does not get bent up. I do think the flixibility of the leader makes a positive difference in lure action. I use it for all of my fishing-casting or trolling-all lure types. About 400 fish in the boat, including 9 over thirty pounds and couple over 40 pounds, in the last 4 seasons without a breakoff. I have faith that it won't let me down. With the fluoro leaders I also find I do not have to change leaders as often.
Contact me and I will send you a few to try.
Duane Schreiner
bulletprooftackle.com
muskynightmare
Posted 5/17/2006 12:22 AM (#192395 - in reply to #190782)

I use 80# flouro and 150# mono in all my flexible leader applications. here is why:
#1 cheap stuff
#2 easy to crimp (yes, my crimps are stronger than your knots)
#3 hard for the fish to see
#4 (and most important) when a fish rolls on 7-strand, it slices the snot out of them. I have never, EVER lost a fish on my flouro or mono leaders. when they roll on my leaders, they do not get sliced up like a perch in her maw.
Rob
Heikinheimo (unregis
Posted 5/17/2006 9:38 AM (#192426 - in reply to #190782)

I whas just wondering how long are the fluoro leaders you use?? Are thei in the regular size 10-12inc or longer for eaven more invisibulity??
muskynightmare
Posted 5/17/2006 10:37 AM (#192435 - in reply to #190782)

I make mine 12-14" long for casting, and 3-4 feet long for trolling.