Telesscoping rods
Johnny_B
Posted 4/15/2006 11:17 AM (#187570)
Subject: Telesscoping rods

On eBay, I picked up a telescoping bass rod for throwing rattle traps. It's a heavy weight bass rod. A St Croix Legend Touornament Bass TBC80HMF rataed for 1/2 to 2 oz lures. Again, I'm planning on using it for traps and lite spinnerbaits.

I'm wondering how the telescoping part will hold up when I hook into a 45+inch fish. What do you guys think about using telescoping rods?

Thanks,

Johnny B Goode
Jason Bovee
Posted 4/15/2006 11:53 AM (#187571 - in reply to #187570)
Subject: RE: Telesscoping rods

I use one very similar to that from my sponsor and it has held up great. I use it for the same stuff you will be using it for; small bucktails,, spinner baits, twitchers, etc. As long as you dont have your drag locked down tight, you will be fine. I took fish to 44 inches on my mine and it handled them fine. Jason Bovee
MikeHulbert
Posted 4/17/2006 12:22 PM (#187748 - in reply to #187570)

Tica makes a really nice Telescoping musky rod. They are very nicely made, light weight and very strong.

If you are looking for or you are in the market for a telescoping musky rod, I would highly suggest the Tica's. They have several models and many different actions.

http://www.ticaglobal.com

Thanks,
RiverMan
Posted 4/23/2006 12:20 PM (#188504 - in reply to #187570)

I just returned from Germany and while there I visited a local fishing shop. The guy there luckily had been raised in the UK and thus spoke english and german...although he sounded just like one of the Beatles! Anyway, the entire shop was full of telescopic rods. Some of the rods were heavy enough to easily tackle large saltwater species. Some were as cheap as 40 Euro and others as much as 400 Euro. It was hard for me to get over the idea that telescopic rods are "cheap" since most I have seen in the US are junk.

I ended up buying one of the rods in a salmon action that is 9' long, great rod for about 50Eu. One other thing, he didn't have a single rod in the shop (and there were hundreds) that was 7' long. He said Europeans use longer rods because they feel they have a great advantage over the shorter versions we Americans toss. His reasoning? They cast further, take up line on the water faster (while float fishing for example), provide greater leverage, and allow the angler to keep the fish away from the boat while preparing to net it. He had some rods in the store that were 6-8 meters in length! That's 18-20 feet long! He also didn't have a single casting reel, all were spinning reels. He acknowledged the advantages of casting reels but said Germans wouldn't buy them, they are too used to spinning reels.

Guys over there fish alot for Roach (like a carp) and the entire shop was filled with pellets used to catch them. They also use catapults (slingshots) to chum the roach them. And, floats of all kinds are very popular. The was a large river near the shop and he explained to me that the river was given to commerical fisherman in the 1400s. Thus the general public cannot put a boat on the river, you can only fish from shore! This is a big river too, more than a football field in width with barges running it everyday.

Here's a few pics I took in the shop.

jed v.

Edited by RiverMan 4/23/2006 12:22 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMGP0156.JPG)

(IMGP0157.JPG)

(IMGP0158.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP0156.JPG (111KB - 124 downloads)
Attachments IMGP0157.JPG (192KB - 141 downloads)
Attachments IMGP0158.JPG (81KB - 138 downloads)