Mercury effects on fish growth
Muskaluck
Posted 4/1/2006 2:26 PM (#185285)
Subject: Mercury effects on fish growth

Hello,

I was watching a show on bass fishing when the topic of the effects of mercury slowing the growth of Large mouth bass.

It mentioned fish biologists determined that fish were effected by slower growth with mercury in their system.

If that is the case for bass,imagine what the effects are for Musky and Pike which have a much higher level of mercury in their system.

Maybe this is the other factor effecting trophy lakes like LCO and Trout,etc.

Man's pollution to the environment has to be a factor in the equation on a lot of our problems.
Sponge
Posted 4/5/2006 12:19 PM (#185877 - in reply to #185285)
Subject: RE: Mercury effects on fish growth

Not sure why, but down this way the fish are so full of mercury that peeps use 'em for thermometers! Drive through most any neighborhood here and you'll see a barse hanging on a deck or a window alongside a set of wind chimes. Actually, I'm only aware of briny feesh such as the larger tuna, king macks and tilefish w/ a merc warning; did see an article in the pape a yr or so ago that mentioned a high level of some type of contaminant in river carp, but not sure if it was merc. Usually here it's a shellfish or red tide warning...
Derrys
Posted 4/14/2006 10:23 PM (#187543 - in reply to #185285)

I think I saw something in the Canadian Regulations, where they say because of the high minimum length restriction, and the probable old age of the fish, they suggest that you NOT eat any large Muskie or Pike. It's been a year or so since I saw the regulations, so I'm sure I have the wording wrong. They pretty much said that eating a large fish could be bad for your health. If anyone has the Canadian Regulations, I'd like to hear what the wording they use actually is. Thanks.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/15/2006 6:52 AM (#187556 - in reply to #185285)

Brad:

Just looked thru the 2005-2006 Ontario regulations book and the only thing in there was a general warning on all species and a publication called Sprot Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program that may be had by emailing: [email protected]

I will be going thru the regs in more detail soon, and if I find what you refered to I will post it.

Muskie regards,
Larry Ramsell
DocEsox
Posted 4/15/2006 12:34 PM (#187576 - in reply to #185285)

There are absolutely NO health advisories here about eating fish....we haven't screwed it up.......yet.

Brian