New guy-what combo
#1_Matt
Posted 4/1/2006 1:30 PM (#185277)
Subject: New guy-what combo

Hey guys. I live in Ontario and fish for just about anything I can. I haven't started musky fishing yet although I want to as soon as possible. I'm wondering what rod and reel would be good for starting. I am willing to pay money for quality gear because for some reason I just don't like cheep . So would it be foolish for me to buy a St. Croix Avid with a Quantum Cabo or would that be overdoing it. I don't like the thought of something breaking after only a year.

Thanks for your guys help,
Matt
MuskieMike
Posted 4/1/2006 1:33 PM (#185278 - in reply to #185277)
Subject: RE: New guy-what combo

If you want to spend $ and have one of the best rods that will last a lifetime, go with a Thornes Custom in atleast 7 1/2 or 8 foot. In a medium heavy weight. Best rod for all around applications. Reels are a little more personalized addiction. I would stick with a 5:3:1 or lower gear ratio though. Here's a link to Thornes custom rods ....
http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/rods/CUSTOM/muskie/muskie_menu.htm...

Edited by MuskieMike 4/1/2006 1:34 PM
MuskyJay
Posted 4/1/2006 2:21 PM (#185284 - in reply to #185277)

I too would get a Thorne Bros rod. They are the best. You can get as specific as what color thread you want on your rod. Handle you get to decide: handle length, diamater and if you want a big flare at the end for added leverage. The guys there are real knowledgeable and can answer any questions you have. As for a real I really like the Shimano Calcutta TE 400. I have never had problems with mine. The phone # to Thornes is 763-572-3782.
Pikiespawn
Posted 4/1/2006 8:30 PM (#185309 - in reply to #185277)

I own a Thorne Bros. Custom with the old Sage blank, and i will tell you that it is extremely sweet.
But, if I were YOU, i would contact Keith Terlinden of Professional Edge and get a Diamondback exactly how you want it. His rods are second to NONE, and you will save a couple bucks.
I have two of his rods and they are my favorites. He's awesome.
PS
BenR
Posted 4/1/2006 11:12 PM (#185323 - in reply to #185277)

Dadson custom rods are unreal and I highly recommend them. However for your first rod, I wouldn't go that route. You need to really get a feel for what type of baits you like to throw and such. I would suggest a 7'6"-8' foot rod MH that will about throw any bait..put a quality reels such as the Cabo, Daiwa Luna, Calcutta on there and you will set...then start getting into the customs if you want...good luck..ben
#1_Matt
Posted 4/4/2006 1:56 PM (#185682 - in reply to #185277)

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I will go with a Diamondback rod. What's the difference between buying the factory model or buying it custom made by say Thorne Bros besides colour and such?
MuskieMike
Posted 4/4/2006 6:39 PM (#185746 - in reply to #185277)

You can customize everything. Handle length, reel seat, upgrade the guides. Whatever you want to pay for. I suggest you talk to Someone @ Thornes, they'll take care of you.
mskyhntr
Posted 4/4/2006 6:51 PM (#185748 - in reply to #185277)

#1 matt: the difference is alot of things other than the colored thread, First you can run any type of guide you would like and any size, for instance I run titanium guides and I run #10's all the way to the top, it helps for reeling a uni knot through the guides. Also I run a 2 inch longer handle with a flaired end. Also you can get any length handle, foregrip and any thickness handle you would like(fat cork,or skinny cork). But to me the main reason for a custom is you can tailor the blank to your needs: lets say for instance you want a 8 footer but the tip is to soft! the rod builder can take some off the tip and leave more on the butt of the blank resulting in a stiffer 8 footer. Plus more guys are going with 8'6'' and 9'' footers and those can not be bought over the counter as far as I know,thats why customs are tailored more towards the fisherman who really knows what he wants rather than someone just getting in to the sport, Those individuals need to try what's out there rather than spend 400 dollars several times around. Hope this helps Mike