New Rod & Reel, Suggestions please!!
JeffJ
Posted 3/31/2006 9:02 AM (#185106)
Subject: New Rod & Reel, Suggestions please!!

I'v been looking at buying a new rod and reel, so many choices, so little money. I'm hoping someone can tell me thier experience with the Bass Pro Shop's Pete Maina combo, 7'6"MH, 5.2:1 reel. I'm also considering a TICA cm200 and Figrig Extreme 7'6". This set up will cost me app. $50 more then the Maina combo. Is it worth the extra money? I currently have an Abu Garcia 6500 C3, and a 7' MH Berkely Lighting rod. I'm looking for something more comfortable to cast all day. I like my Garcia reel, but would like to find something a little lower in profile.(small hands) Most of the lures I use are 1-4 ounces. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Robby D
Posted 3/31/2006 9:08 AM (#185107 - in reply to #185106)
Subject: RE: New Rod & Reel, Suggestions please!!

You many want to look at a ST Croix Avid Rod and Calcutta TE. Sweet set up!

Good luck

Rob
Magruter
Posted 3/31/2006 9:22 AM (#185112 - in reply to #185106)

I'm currently looking at an abu garcia 6600 c4, 85$ at BPS plus you get a free tackle bag (have to pay 11$ S/H)... I haven't used the BPS mania reel, the reason i didn't buy one is, i went to 2 BPS and they were both broken... So i decided to go with Abu. As far as a rod can't go wrong with fig or BPS they are both nice rods...
Jeff J
Posted 3/31/2006 9:23 AM (#185113 - in reply to #185106)

I have heard great things about the calcutta TE, and the St. Croix Avid, but the price is just to much for me. (just ask my wife) lol. I'm hoping to stay around $200 total, looking for the best bang for my buck. Thanks
Mark H.
Posted 3/31/2006 9:26 AM (#185114 - in reply to #185106)

For all-day casting comfort I would have to suggest the Fig-Rig. I have four of them and they have all served me and my clients well. Very light weight, good balance, awesome backbone when it comes to fighting the fish. I have other brands but my "go-to" rods are my Fig's.

As far as the reels are concerned, i.e. your comment on smaller hands. If you like Garcia why not just move to the 5600 series. Slightly narrower. Those are the models I have switched to for the same reasons and I have had no problems with them.
pbrostuen
Posted 3/31/2006 9:41 AM (#185116 - in reply to #185106)

Mark took the words right out of my mouth... just get a 5500 if you want something smaller. Put it on a fig or shimano compre and you're in well under $200. You might try calling Thorne Bros, they have some good deals on combos and they even include line.
Troyz.
Posted 3/31/2006 9:48 AM (#185120 - in reply to #185106)

Jeff, I would recommend down sizing your reel. Calcutta TE are about as low profile as you can get staying with a musky baitcasting reel. For rods have not had glowing reviews with the Fig-Rigs. If you looking for a work horse rod, I would suggest getting a Professsional Edge Custom Rod, 7'6' Hvy Diamondback blank, once you throw this rod your others will sit idle, it is a very versatile blank.

Good luck

Troyz

Edited by Troyz. 3/31/2006 9:49 AM
CiscoKid
Posted 3/31/2006 9:51 AM (#185121 - in reply to #185106)

Jeff J shoot me an email!

[email protected]
dward
Posted 3/31/2006 10:09 AM (#185123 - in reply to #185106)

maybe consider a shimano corvalus reel. i think i got mine for between $79-89. match it up w/ the figrig rod?
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/31/2006 11:01 AM (#185133 - in reply to #185106)

The Tica reels are very nice, smooth and strong.

Their new rods are super light, and very strong and durible.

You simply can't go wrong with this combo. For $200 or close to it, it is an amazing combo.
big gun
Posted 3/31/2006 11:55 AM (#185144 - in reply to #185106)

I have a couple of suggestions. On your current set up, you may want to move your hand to the cork above the reel, this may help you cut down on the fatigue of palming with a small hand. Secondly, it seems like the new combo is very similar to what you already have. I would suggest going to a different combo that might work different types of baits better. Finally, look at buying used from the buy and sell boards. There are alot of quality used materails that can be had at very little cost. BG
Slamr
Posted 3/31/2006 11:59 AM (#185146 - in reply to #185106)

Idea: find an Abu Garcia Torno in the SB series (5.3:1 gear ratio) on eBay. Garcia stopped making the reel, but will still support them in the case of breakage or other mechanical issues. Its a low-profile reel with the same internal guts as the 5500 series reels. I got one for my wife last year, and she loves it in terms of how it fits in her hands, and I actually really like it to for castability, ease of retrieve and its durability.
Mate that with a FigRig, and you're set for under that $200 price range, with maybe enough $$$ left over for line and leaders to go along with it.
TECK
Posted 3/31/2006 12:17 PM (#185152 - in reply to #185106)

I just picked up a new rod and reel combo . A 7'11" Shimano Crucial rod with a Shimano Chronarch reel. Got it for traps at the cave. CH100BSV

Edited by TECK 3/31/2006 4:09 PM
lambeau
Posted 3/31/2006 1:07 PM (#185163 - in reply to #185106)

Teck, what model Chronarch did you get? have you had a chance to use it yet?
i got one this year too, the 101BSV (lefty salt-water) version, 6.2:1 ratio.
can't wait to get it into action, small profile but still with good line pickup (26"/crank) - that's more than you get with the 5.0:1 ratio Calc400TE (25"/crank), and it has the same solid HEG gearing. should be a sweet ride for lighter pulling baits.

of course, this isn't "reel" helpful to a discussion about combos under $200...

Jeff, don't overlook the workhorses of the muskie world!
St.Croix: quality with useful length/action availability for around $120 (mix it up from what you got now)
Abu Garcia: one of the smaller reels mentioned above such as the Torno or 5500
solid combo!
Shep
Posted 3/31/2006 3:51 PM (#185183 - in reply to #185106)

One of my new Fig Rigs this year will have a new Abu Record reel. Looks like a great reel, and a great price. The other Fig Rigs will have my Morrum's.
firstsixfeet
Posted 3/31/2006 6:33 PM (#185217 - in reply to #185106)

Buy a used rod. If it is solid it will hold up as good as new with very inexpensive repair service to place new cork or guides if needed. Save you money and still get a solid rod. They are for sale all the time here.

Spend the extra money on a good reel.

Second idea, if you are up north and there is still ice, and you know where a bait shop is that carries musky rods, ask what they have left from last season, and if they would take an offer, tell them you have limited funds and don't want to insult them but...?
It will be a while between ice out and open water seasons for some of them and they may like to move a little merchandise if they can make a few bucks.

You can do pretty well on used items too if you look around a little. They are not rare and some have been used very little.

For smaller hands the Shimano rods I have are definitely smaller in handle diameter and might fit your hand better. I don't however recommend small diameter handles. They should fill the hand imo.

Good luck. I have bought 3 of my rods off these boards and had good luck on them, and two rods off a bait shop that got them and couldn't sell them, and saved a lot of money on them and still using all of them.