Bucktails in Spring
tuffy1
Posted 3/23/2006 7:36 AM (#183809)
Subject: Bucktails in Spring

Okay, So I watched this In Fisherman DVD that I got with a mag last year, and Doug Stange was throwing a bucktail and burning that sucker in. This was opening day in MN, but the water temps were still in the low to mid 50's and he was bundled up, as it wasn't a warming trend from what it looked like.

This got me to thinking. How many of you actually throw hair in the early spring. I'm talking with water temps from the mid 40's to mid 50's? I know I have gotten a few April fish on spinnerbaits fishing shallow, and my wife has scored some fish in April on hair. But for some reason, it's not a go to bait for lots of people. We all think minnow baits and gliders. What do you all look for when you choose hair, and if you don't throw it, why not?
CiscoKid
Posted 3/23/2006 7:48 AM (#183812 - in reply to #183809)
Subject: RE: Bucktails in Spring

Spring is the time I throw hair. I'm talking from May 15- Early June on Vilas county and U.P. waters. I am usually targetting the very clear lakes with colder water, and the bucktails are the best thing I have found early in the season. I have moved some monsters early in the season throwing deeper running bucktails on the deep breaks, and bringing them in slowly. I haven't really gotten into the burning of the bucktails early. I just don't see the fish in those clear water lakes being aggressive enough to eat tails moving fast with the water temps cold. I'll give it a shot this year though to see what kind of results I get.

One tail I found that I really like is taking a Mepps marabou (not the musky marabou), and switching the blade to a #4 willow. The #4 willow is a Gander Mtn. special I believe.
SANKS
Posted 3/23/2006 8:07 AM (#183818 - in reply to #183809)

Joel, I use bucktails in the early spring often and have had good results, but usually as a "throw back" on a hot fish. If they follow on a minnow or glide bait but don't eat I will try burning hair over
them and it has paid off in the past for me. I will toss a smaller bright colored bucktail back at them for a reaction strike. Speed also works on fish that have been pressured by other fisherman
any time of year. This technique does work on the lakes that you and I both fish.
Good luck, and see you on the opener.
Mark Sankey
muskyboy
Posted 3/23/2006 8:46 AM (#183827 - in reply to #183809)

Just like topwaters, bucktails can be used effectively ice out until ice up. Bucktails seem to work best early season so give them a try right out of the gate. I like double bladed baits like Shumway Flashers with allot of lift that you can burn, and don't overlook buzz baits early