Chatterbait
BALDY
Posted 3/17/2006 11:02 AM (#182922)
Subject: Chatterbait

Anybody have experience with these yet? They look great in the water, but that "lip" makes me pretty nervous. Just doesnt seem up the task of musky fishing. Anybody out there that can prove me wrong and convince me to buy a couple?
asteffes
Posted 3/17/2006 11:14 AM (#182923 - in reply to #182922)
Subject: RE: Chatterbait

I thought the exact same thing when I was looking at them at the show. They looked great, but I was worried about their durability. I have seen my bucktails completly destroyed after catching a ski and I have had to bend things back into place. The flap on the chatterbait looked like it would get ripped right off. I hope I am wrong, I am not trying to say it is a bad bait by any means. I just had the same concern as Baldy.

Anyone use these? How did they hold up?

Tony
muskihntr
Posted 3/17/2006 11:19 AM (#182925 - in reply to #182922)

read the chat from last nite that brad ruh from musky innovations had, if you read thru there was alot of discussion about these baits. im expecting some great results from this bait this year!!!!!

Edited by muskihntr 3/17/2006 11:33 AM
basscaster
Posted 3/17/2006 11:25 AM (#182927 - in reply to #182922)

There are a few copycat baits out already. I saw one yesterday where you just buy the blade and you attach your own jig.Those were $2.99 each. On Bass fishing home page(search) there is a guy who posted yesterday who make them with heavy duty jig/Gamme hooks(pictures-his name smalljawer ?). You might be able to get a similar action swimming a standup head ? ?
lambeau
Posted 3/17/2006 11:26 AM (#182928 - in reply to #182922)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/03.17.2006/1026/Musky.Inno...
Top H20
Posted 3/17/2006 12:03 PM (#182932 - in reply to #182922)

I was just at cave run last week, and used 2 -1oz. chatterbaits. They really put out some hellashious vibs!! I fished one for 4 straight hrs. with no hits. (all of our strikes came from Jerk baits)
The 2nd one I put on a bigger and heaver snap and noticed that this bait ran a couple inches shallower after being retrieved at the same speed as the first chatterbait. I had to slow down quite a bit in order to keep it from breaking the surface.
I did have to bend the snap with pliers to keep it from opening 3 different times on the first one I used.I really don't know how they will handle a BIG thrashing fish but I'm sure these baits will get bit alot!

Jerome
The Yeti
Posted 3/17/2006 12:57 PM (#182942 - in reply to #182922)

with a little baitmaker enginuity (which i know you have Baldy), you can reinforce the thing to handle more than the 70?lb max strength snap and double conect from jig eye to metal blade with some wire

i'll post pics for ya when i get home tonite, if i remember.

the changes i made looked drastic, but had no effect on the original action.

i wasn't worried about the snap as much as the jigeye/blade connection.

great action on those things though.

Edited by The Yeti 5/3/2006 12:07 AM
BALDY
Posted 3/17/2006 1:12 PM (#182949 - in reply to #182942)

The Yeti - 3/17/2006 12:57 PM

with a little baitmaker enginuity (which i know you have Baldy), you can reinforce the thing to handle more than the 80lb max strength snap and double conect from jig eye to metal blade with some wire

i'll post pics for ya when i get home tonite, if i remember.

the changes i made looked drastic, but had no effect on the original action.

i wasn't worried about the snap as much as the jigeye/blade connection.

great action on those things though.

though of that already too. going to pick up a couple and give it a try.

I read the chat with Brad. The snap was the lesser of my worries. That little piece connecting the lip to the jig eye, just looks so weak.
The Yeti
Posted 3/17/2006 4:29 PM (#182982 - in reply to #182922)

thats the part i worried about too, looks like it'll blow up on the first bad snag or fight with a "twister"

u can put a #5 staylock in place of the other one, dont know why he didnt just do that from the git go......

i'll put a pic up tonite when i get home so u can see what i did.....cuz i don't exactly remember, it was back in january lol....it's been hanging ever since i threw it the first day. i remember it looked heinous, but made the lure stronger and still the same action.
GOTONE
Posted 3/17/2006 5:32 PM (#182991 - in reply to #182922)

Well I had some early season success on the bait. This 45"er ate right at the boat following the Chatter Bait in the dirty water of Kinkaid. My first fish of the year, not a bad way to start!!! I also had the snap open up on me three times, so you'll need to do some work on the snap to get it shut tight. We are experimenting some other ways to make it work better too. It really vibrates the rod and will draw some attention. I think it will be a great night bait. Muskies in March was a great way to start the year for a guy from Wisconsin......

GotOne

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Kinkaid 45 March 15 2006 rs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Kinkaid 45 March 15 2006 rs.jpg (146KB - 128 downloads)
muskie! nut
Posted 3/17/2006 7:24 PM (#183007 - in reply to #182922)

#*^@, GOTONE you lucky SOB! Congrats!

Could you email me a copy for our newsletter?

Gerard
lobi
Posted 3/17/2006 9:13 PM (#183020 - in reply to #182922)

Can someone post a pic of this thing? thx Also where to get it
GOTONE
Posted 3/17/2006 9:25 PM (#183023 - in reply to #182922)

http://www.muskyinnovations.com/chatterbait.htm
AWH
Posted 3/17/2006 9:32 PM (#183024 - in reply to #183023)

I should have them available at my site http://www.muskytackleonline.com next week sometime. They've been a hot ticket and selling well. Brad should finally be getting them back in stock by Monday (maybe even today already) and will hopefully be able to get me back in stock by the middle to end of next week.

Aaron

Edited by AWH 3/17/2006 9:33 PM

(Chatter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chatter.jpg (20KB - 147 downloads)
The Yeti
Posted 3/17/2006 10:31 PM (#183033 - in reply to #182922)

Baldy

i used #7 split rings and replaced the top snap with a #4 staylock....a bit of work to get in there, but it WILL go.

the added noise of the rings too, i forgot to tell you that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ThexxYeti/DSC00042.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ThexxYeti/DSC00041.jpg

Edited by The Yeti 3/17/2006 10:33 PM
Top H20
Posted 3/18/2006 7:25 AM (#183050 - in reply to #182922)

Hey Yeti, Does your fix seam to change the action of the bait any?It looks alot more durable the way you have rigged it.

Jerome
BALDY
Posted 3/18/2006 7:43 AM (#183052 - in reply to #183050)

nice work Yeti. Gonna give that a shot
muskyme
Posted 3/18/2006 10:34 AM (#183072 - in reply to #182922)

Yeti,

Thanks for passing this mod along....
matt
The Yeti
Posted 3/18/2006 10:57 AM (#183073 - in reply to #182942)

The Yeti - 3/17/2006 12:57 PM the changes i made looked drastic, but had no effect on the original action. i wasn't worried about the snap as much as the jigeye/blade connection.

not a bit
actually made it louder cuz of the rings. u can bend the #4 staylock to fit thru the holes on the blade. DON"T bend the blade around the wire of the staylock, it's too soft, it'll rip.

just straighten the first bend in the staylock latch to 90ยบ after you open it, and insert it in the blade hole, bend it back to what it was.

put your rings on, and your'e there.

good luck fellas and you're welcome.

i'm still worried about the jigeye opening on a twist, but i think this gives it at least a bit more security.

Edited by The Yeti 3/18/2006 11:02 AM
muskie! nut
Posted 3/18/2006 4:19 PM (#183109 - in reply to #182922)

I had GOTONE Dan stop but my leader making class at the CC MI School and I made him a wire that had loops on both ends (it was about 1" long) and through one of the holes in the bill. We took it to the pool and he says it feels like it did when he first ot it. I should have taken a picture of it, but my mind doesn't work that fast. maybe Dan can see this and post a picture himself.
The Yeti
Posted 3/18/2006 6:44 PM (#183134 - in reply to #182922)

for some reason, and i was telling my buddy this....these things SHOULDN"T WORK...they just look like that don't work (action wise). aside from that, they have SO much action, they could probably shake loose a 3 pound clump of weeds lol.
GOTONE
Posted 3/18/2006 9:15 PM (#183152 - in reply to #182922)

Gerard, I'll post a picture of the modification that we made to it tomorrow morning. It did work the same in the pool as it did before the change.
GOTONE
Posted 3/19/2006 2:30 AM (#183171 - in reply to #182922)

Here are the modifications that we made to the bait at the CCMI school. The lure worked the same and is much more sturdy than the snap that comes with the bait.

(Chatter Redesign C rs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chatter Redesign C rs.jpg (32KB - 126 downloads)
GOTONE
Posted 3/19/2006 2:51 AM (#183173 - in reply to #182922)

Here are a few more pics:

(Chatter Redesign A rs.jpg)

(Chatter Redesign B rs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chatter Redesign A rs.jpg (77KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments Chatter Redesign B rs.jpg (80KB - 137 downloads)
Suspend
Posted 3/19/2006 6:36 AM (#183178 - in reply to #183173)

Here is a demo:

http://www.lureandtackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=...
The Yeti
Posted 3/19/2006 10:38 AM (#183198 - in reply to #182922)

nice idea man.

however, i think a lot of us were more worried about the connection between the blade and the jigeye itself.

i might just have to add your wiring mod to mine though....i REALLY like that, looks much better and stronger than pushing a #4 staylock thru there.
GOTONE
Posted 3/19/2006 10:47 AM (#183199 - in reply to #182922)

We were still working on your concept or something similar of connecting the jig head to the ring that we made on the underside of the metal lip. We were thinking about seven strand wire or maybe even flourocarbon. I'm going to try your 3 split ring version as well.
I had the original snap that came on the lure open up three times on me, so this was a big concern as well.

GotOne

Edited by GOTONE 3/19/2006 11:05 AM
BALDY
Posted 3/19/2006 12:19 PM (#183206 - in reply to #183199)

Well, I picked a few up yesterday and went to work. Tried one with the Yeti mod, but didnt care that much for how the split ring got bound up in the jig eye (no offense man).

With a couple short pieces of sevenstrand here is what I came up with...

(IMG_1561.JPG)

(IMG_1562.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1561.JPG (38KB - 236 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1562.JPG (60KB - 163 downloads)
The Yeti
Posted 3/20/2006 12:36 AM (#183260 - in reply to #182922)

that's awesome!
See, a little improvisation and `voila my friend.

there were some great posts here

i worry about that jigeye coming open on a twisting fish...i like my stuff solid, and that's the one thing that is still left to chance there

i actually tried making a harness to fit over the jig head with 124# wire, but it was too combersome and cockeyed.
wonder if drilling a small hole thru the head somewhere...........lol

i have to try it out on some other jigs b4 i ruin the only chatterbait i have though.
BALDY
Posted 3/20/2006 7:36 AM (#183270 - in reply to #183260)

The Yeti - 3/20/2006 12:36 AM

that's awesome!
See, a little improvisation and `voila my friend.

there were some great posts here

i worry about that jigeye coming open on a twisting fish...i like my stuff solid, and that's the one thing that is still left to chance there

i actually tried making a harness to fit over the jig head with 124# wire, but it was too combersome and cockeyed.
wonder if drilling a small hole thru the head somewhere...........lol

i have to try it out on some other jigs b4 i ruin the only chatterbait i have though.

I dont think I would worry about the actual eye on that jig opening. It would be pretty hard for a fish to get enough leverage on that part of the bait to actually twist it open. My .02
lambeau
Posted 3/20/2006 8:19 AM (#183275 - in reply to #183270)

I dont think I would worry about the actual eye on that jig opening. It would be pretty hard for a fish to get enough leverage on that part of the bait to actually twist it open.

imho, the jig eye probably won't open, but i worry about the very narrow strip of thin blade material where the jig eye runs through. it seems a bit of twisting could tear through that pretty easy?

maybe a second loop of 7strand running from the 7strand loop on the backside of the blade down through the jig eye as a backup connection?

OR, cut the jig eye and take the chatterbait blade and rig it on a jig with a bigger/stouter eye...
BALDY
Posted 3/20/2006 8:27 AM (#183276 - in reply to #183275)

lambeau - 3/20/2006 8:19 AM

I dont think I would worry about the actual eye on that jig opening. It would be pretty hard for a fish to get enough leverage on that part of the bait to actually twist it open.

imho, the jig eye probably won't open, but i worry about the very narrow strip of thin blade material where the jig eye runs through. it seems a bit of twisting could tear through that pretty easy?

maybe a second loop of 7strand running from the 7strand loop on the backside of the blade down through the jig eye as a backup connection?

OR, cut the jig eye and take the chatterbait blade and rig it on a jig with a bigger/stouter eye...

the first pic in my post shows exactly what you are talking about. that piece of sevenstrand is connecting the jig eye to the piece of sevestrand that I put in place of the snap. So if they thin piece holding the jig breaks, I still have a connection to the bait with the leader material. Kind of hard to see in the pic, but it's there.
tuffy1
Posted 3/20/2006 10:09 AM (#183291 - in reply to #182922)

I might be loosing this in the pictures, but Baldy, you definitely have something here. What if you took the seven strand, and ran it from the jig eye all the way through, and use it for the snap instead of using 2 pieces of seven strand connected together. Or you could take Gerards idea, and run the seven strand from the eye to the portion of the solid wire that runs through the lip. Just a few observations. Let me know when you guys come up with something perfect. so I can pick some up. lol
BALDY
Posted 3/20/2006 10:47 AM (#183294 - in reply to #183291)

tuffy1 - 3/20/2006 10:09 AM

I might be loosing this in the pictures, but Baldy, you definitely have something here. What if you took the seven strand, and ran it from the jig eye all the way through, and use it for the snap instead of using 2 pieces of seven strand connected together. Or you could take Gerards idea, and run the seven strand from the eye to the portion of the solid wire that runs through the lip. Just a few observations. Let me know when you guys come up with something perfect. so I can pick some up. lol

Joel,

That was the first thing that I tried, but I just felt that the pull wouldnt be on the right part of the bait to keep the original action. I tried about 3 different things, and this was the one that seemed to be the closest to what the was originally. You dont want any force transferring through the blade to the jig head...you will lose alot of the action on the bait.

I actually do have a piece of sevenstrand in place of the snap. You can see that in the second picture. I took a short piece and crimped it on both ends. A solid ring on one end and the other end goes through both holes of the lip...where the snap used to be. Then I made a sevenstrand loop and connected the jig eye to the first piece of sevenstrand where it comes through on the back of the blade. This loop basically just hangs there. The only time it will ever see any force is if the blade breaks away from the jig eye...it is just there for security.

The problem I see with Gerard's method is that the solid wire may pull right through the hole in the lip. I see that as a problem because that wire is only through one hole instead of looped through both. The lip material is not very stiff and the sharp tag end of the wire may help to penetrate that hole. Another piece of sevenstrand like I added will help, but I still like to get the wire through both holes that are there. Adds to the durability, I think.

Mine is definitely not perfect, but I think it will greatly add to the durability and security of the bait without losing much, if any, of the original action.
MUSKEEZ
Posted 3/20/2006 3:54 PM (#183333 - in reply to #182922)

some great ideas, that's for sure. One question, when this thing goes through the water are the jig hooks pointing down or up?
.fish.
Posted 3/20/2006 4:00 PM (#183335 - in reply to #182922)

Up.
muskyme
Posted 3/20/2006 6:23 PM (#183362 - in reply to #182922)

I got three of them from Thornes today...I love the way they look....I've seen the video of a bass version of the bait...If the chatterbait has the same action this should be a great bait...BUT...Why in the world would you have such a flimsy design for a musky bait...I know bait companies need to make money, but I would be very willing to ante up a few more bucks for solid construction...I'll give these mods a try...I love MI baits....They need to beef this bait up...Someone else will jump in with a more solid design...I guess thats how the market works...
Slamr
Posted 3/20/2006 6:44 PM (#183364 - in reply to #182922)

I think all your questions are answered here:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/03.20.2006/1026/Musky.Inno...
lambeau
Posted 3/31/2006 5:35 PM (#185207 - in reply to #182922)

rigged my "safety chain" on my Chatterbait today.
just a short piece of 40lb sevenstrand as a backup if the blade rips.
i also replaced the snap with one i know won't break or open up.

easy, cheap, effective.
thanks for all the tips, guys!

(Chatterbait 002.jpg)

(Chatterbait 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chatterbait 002.jpg (69KB - 693 downloads)
Attachments Chatterbait 003.jpg (54KB - 194 downloads)
BALDY
Posted 4/3/2006 10:42 AM (#185490 - in reply to #182922)

Mike -

You have your snap in backwards...unless you planned it that way.
lambeau
Posted 4/3/2006 11:54 AM (#185507 - in reply to #182922)

i did plan it that way, though not with a whole ton of thought i suppose.
i preferred attaching the 7strand to the closed loop on the back end of the snap.
it also keeps the ends behind the blade...maybe less to catch weeds etc?
i haven't run it yet, but i don't think it'll effect the action...i'll let you know how it runs.
muskyboy
Posted 4/7/2006 2:11 PM (#186227 - in reply to #182922)

Seems like a great bait, after modifying with some Bucher #7 Split Rings it is musky ready
The Yeti
Posted 4/7/2006 4:12 PM (#186252 - in reply to #182922)

i threw mine with gregg thomas last week....ran fine. my mod works for me fellas.

i know some things are not better left to chance, so i just did what i thought was a little beefier.

good luck this year guys!