Trolling Scenario Questions
Chocodile
Posted 3/5/2006 9:43 AM (#180866)
Subject: Trolling Scenario Questions

Ok, looking at doing more and more trolling this year, and looking for some advice on bait selections for the patterns I'm looking to hit. Most of what I'll be fishing is smaller lakes, with very quick dropping weedy breaklines. The fish can be found ON the break, off the break, and in open water. Looking to use 2 downlines, and two board rods to hit all three patterns.

Questions:
-good baits in the 6-7" range to run 7-9ft down off a board.
-" " " " 8-10" range to run 7-9ft down off a board.
-baits to run 20-25ft. down off a board, 7-9" long
-baits to run 20-25ft down off a board, in the 9-12" range.

Looking for more production lures that can be purchased at a Thorne Bros or Smokeys, versus hand-made basement baits.
And, just a quick sidebar, I'll be running Off Shore boards, with OR-18 releases.

djwilliams
Posted 3/5/2006 11:48 AM (#180884 - in reply to #180866)
Subject: RE: Trolling Scenario Questions

You ought to definately look at buying some Slammers. They have what you described. If you can get to a Sportsman's Warehouse, they sell them for as low as I've seen. Spinnerbaits are also good trolling baits with a lot of flexibility.
Good Luck,
djw
sorenson
Posted 3/5/2006 5:03 PM (#180915 - in reply to #180866)

As far as the 7-9' down, I've had pretty good luck w/ Slammers, Baby Depth raiders, and Super Shad raps (although they may actually be more like 5-6'). Ernies will also get you there but I have not been as successful w/ them here. Also Believer/Swim whizz will get you there too and w/ a good thump.
I run offshore boards w/ the OR - 18 releases too, they work fine for those baits. I don't have anything in my bait arsenal that will troll at 20-25'...probably ought to look into that. How deep will a Depth raider go?
Sorno
joe m
Posted 3/5/2006 5:39 PM (#180928 - in reply to #180866)

I troll 60 to 70% of the time im on the water. I have great success trolling Wiley lures. You can use the fat bodys to get you down deep. They are in the Rollie and Hellens catalog. Any questions send me a pm.
lobi
Posted 3/5/2006 6:06 PM (#180933 - in reply to #180866)

I'll second the Wiley's. I also like the Loke's. For the 10 inchers an awesome trolling lure is the big Nil's Master made in Finland. I would also run the swim whizz/believer's on the deep setting. They won't stay in the clips on the boards but are awesome on the down rods.